Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

Being saying it all year he is NOT a foward he is a midfielder.
Let him show us in the VFL. If anything when mids are played at HBF or HFF they tend to find the ball easier. He doesn't seem to find the ball no matter where he plays, it's highly doubtful for mine he will suddenly become a midfiled ball magnet.

Appears to lack the speed/agility/tank for the middle. And perhaps the desire/want?

Whatever, he's going to get some time in the VFL to work on it.

Reactions: 2 users
Taranto out injured.
Do we throw Sonsie in the middle to finally put to bed the theory that he’s being played out of position?
Think we’ve ascertained he’s not a forward

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Taranto out injured.
Do we throw Sonsie in the middle to finally put to bed the theory that he’s being played out of position?
Think we’ve ascertained he’s not a forward
I would actually like to see him get midfield time but think that a like for like would be Kane.

Also think that Sonsie needs time in the VFL. We need to find out if he can be a midfielder there first. He is not a flanker and has lost what confidence he may have had

Reactions: 1 users
Even if he is not played on the ball, surely you can still find the pill more than 3 times in 3 quarters?

Am sure we will hear his biggest supporters argue he needs to be played in the middle but not sure he deserves any midfield time given the apparent lack of effort/running ability?

Perhaps now hew will go back to the VFL and play as a full-time mid?
Definitely does not deserve midfield time based on his work ethic. He can spend some time at VFL level to work on the work ethic first.

I would actually like to see him get midfield time but think that a like for like would be Kane.

Also think that Sonsie needs time in the VFL. We need to find out if he can be a midfielder there first. He is not a flanker and has lost what confidence he may have had
Think the issue is he gets demoted to VFL, plays midfield there, does quite well and gets promoted again to play hf in the seniors.
Rince and repeat with the same results.
Only way we’re going to find out is play him midfield in the seniors.
I’ll preface this by saying I don’t think he’ll make it but doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
We’re probably in a situation where we can afford to experiment a bit.
Alternative is we give up on him and delist at seasons end

Reactions: 4 users
There's no hard luck story here. Been given plenty of chances this season to step up to the level. Has been a massive disappointment. Has to be delisted (possibly re-rookied if they still see something in him that isn't obvious to me).
He's contracted until the end of next year. That's not going to happen.

He's dying at half forward.

No doubt that's mostly on him. But he's not being given a real chance either.

Start him in the midfield.

If he gets 3 possessions there, then drop him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone think Sonsie would be worse than Dow in the middle?

The problem Yze has created, is a need to give everyone a very long chance to prove themselves...should be 3 games for mine. If there's no improvement, go back and work on some more things.

Unless of course their first game is Ryan like.

Easy to see the negatives with the Sonz and becoming harder to find positives, however I’m going to go against the grain , went back with the flight last night and wore it , great effort , Ooooze was wrapt , however a teammate doing that , even though that was once just what we did would have had half the team giving pats on the arse , however Sonz hardly got a fist pump , however that’s a whole different issue with this team atm . Anyhoo as much as I dislike “ outside” players , I think he can have an important role in this team next year. Yep obviously has to get tougher and more honest, I’d have him run around Australia for his pre season , then when he gets back swim to Tassie and row a boat back for his warm down. Critical the Sonz gets so much fitter for every aspect of his game
I saw that a couple of times. We really don't have players getting over to everyone like we used to, helping them up, high fives, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a worry most of kids are not progressing. Before we get excited with our new draft picks we really need to have a hard look at our player development.

Reactions: 7 users
Looks like he’ll be very well paid to play VFL then. Our upcoming draft picks overtake him, pushing him further down the pecking order.
If only we knew what's going on between the ears for him. I don't buy this idea that he can't or won't get involved bc he can only play midfield. That's not a team-first attitude so if that's true he should be shown the door. Perhaps he now realises that an AFL career is not for him? He certainly gives that impression with his body language.

I preface this by saying that i havent watched a huge amount this season due to work and travel.

The games ive seen he has avoided the hard balls and when its his turn hes squibbed, which in AFL imo is worse than a turnover or skill errors.

In saying all of that HF/small forward is imo the toughest position on the ground, putting a skillful young developing midfielder at HF is just nonsense.

Currently imo he doesnt look like he will make it but equally we arent doing him or even Kane (often Sub) any favors in how they are being used/managed.

Reactions: 1 user
Some weeks ago I said put him back in a bottle to only be broken is we have a major player emergency. I didn't think we had such an emergency today as to pick him again. Just not up to AFL level and never ill be unless he starts to get his midset right and listen to the coaches