Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

He was touted coming into his draft year (2021) but that was based on his under-16 form, because they played no footy in 2020. Come draft night he didn't slide, he went where he went.

Anyway, has 13 disposals and 6 clearances to half-time in the VFL.
There’s some FOS similarities there. Cautionary tale.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Langford apparently all the rage now is that the word Scooper?

Smille, Jagga, FOS all had their time talked as the #1.

Of more recent its been Draper, now its langford.

Do clubs put out false info to try and have the media make a bit more of a mash up when trying to nab a particular player?

Langford apparently all the rage now is that the word Scooper?

Smille, Jagga, FOS all had their time talked as the #1.

Of more recent its been Draper, now its langford.

Do clubs put out false info to try and have the media make a bit more of a mash up when trying to nab a particular player?
It’s a risky draft this year so hope Toce can nail it. Even drafts are the hard ones to nail as it’s the late bloomers v the early bloomers.
Draper is the standout for me and the player with least risk of failing. FOS to me could be a risky pick .

It's the reason I bumped this thread. I don't watch the jnrs at all but rightly or wrongly at one point Sonz was touted as a pick one. There are no guarantees on any junior player we select. Not to mention he had some great VFL form for Box Hill against men. Prevalent heading into tommorrow's viewing.

Some, but some key differences too.

Compare the pair:

U/16 year: Sonz Vic Metro MVP; FOS Vic Country captain, Vic Country MVP, National MVP (Kevin Sheehan Medal)
U/17 year: Sonz no footy (COVID); FOS All-Australian u/18 team, Sid Draper and Levi Ashcroft the only other u/17s to make the AA team. Vic Country's second-best player behind Harley Reid. Averaged 22 disposals in 8 Coates games. Coates team of the year.
U/18 year: Sonz five inconsistent Coates games (still averaged 23 disposals), one good VFL game (24 touches, 2 goals), one poor Academy game, no Champs games,. FOS one Coates game (broke thumb in first quarter, still had six clearances - Smillie had four for the game), one okay Academy game in which he was underdone and badly broke his finger, one matchwinning Champs game (or rather three ease-in quarters and one matchwinning quarter) when underdone, one poor Champs game. VFL debut tomorrow.

By draft time there were questions over Sonz that are still there today: pace, endurance, hardness, competitiveness, bottom lip control. Both of us were blind to these in our love for his strengths.

There are no questions about FOS' pace, running ability, hardness or competitiveness. Appears to have Big Winner Brain and seen as a future AFL captain. Might have chalky digits. Hasn't torn a game apart this year.

I can see why people would be hesitant to take FOS at 1, and why they want to see more over the next few weeks. I want to see more. I want to see him stamp his class tomorrow so not even Matt Clarke would miss him at 1. Here's hoping.

I haven't given up on Sonz, either. Ball's in his court.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's the reason I bumped this thread. I don't watch the jnrs at all but rightly or wrongly at one point Sonz was touted as a pick one. There are no guarantees on any junior player we select. Not to mention he had some great VFL form for Box Hill against men. Prevalent heading into tommorrow's viewing.
Covid years. Those drafts have thrown up some very weird results and I wouldn’t read too much into them.

I still think exposed form, especially against good competition is the best indicator of future success for draftees. If you can’t dominate your peers in u18 how are you going to do well against the very best players from the last 15 odd years at AFL level?

Reactions: 1 users