Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

It's not so much his intensity, effort or whatever. Yeah it can be average at times, but it's his incredible lack of athleticism that is the real issue. He can't run. He simply can not run.

I've watched him closely live and on tv and replay, and he runs like one of those Thunderbird characters. He's a loose, unco looking, jangly and slooooow plodder.

He'd be lucky to break 13 seconds for the 100 Sonz and even if he did, it'd take him 10 minutes to recover.

The worst runner in our midfield/small forward group. And that's saying something because we've got a few bad ones. It's killing him.

Yup. Totally true. Can't run with questionable competitiveness. Not a good combo.

Reckon it's also one of the reason's he hasn't been played midfield.

Good lesson in it for our recruiters not to pick players because they have a nice fluent kicking action (not that he's actually a good kick anyway).

More to a footballer than that (as you know).

Reactions: 3 users
Clearly he has neither the physical or mental capacities nor the motivation to play the game at the highest level (which clearly the Dorks realised when they completely lost interest despite one decent VFL game, especially when they discovered his total opposite in Newcombe!).
Really sorry to say it about a kid that apparently loved the Tigers and supposedly wanted to make it for them as an AFL player. Unfortunately, looks to be another high draft pick near-disaster that we've been left holding by Clarke.

He's nearly killed the future i.e. Clarke :mad:
Clarkes
Hits-Higgins/Balta/Miller/Baker/Ross/Townsend/Ralphsmith/Gibcus/Brown/Campbell/McCauliffe/Mansell
Misses-CCJ/Naish/RCD/Turner/English/Aarts/Chol/Dow/Martyn/Cumberland/ Biggie/Sonsie
Jury-Ryan/MRJ/Banks/Clarke/Smith/Green/Young/Fawcett/Coultard.

How many rnd 1 busts?(Not that we had any top end due to our success)

Think the issue is he gets demoted to VFL, plays midfield there, does quite well and gets promoted again to play hf in the seniors.
Rince and repeat with the same results.
Only way we’re going to find out is play him midfield in the seniors.
I’ll preface this by saying I don’t think he’ll make it but doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
We’re probably in a situation where we can afford to experiment a bit.
Alternative is we give up on him and delist at seasons end
Sonsie back to the VFL ( where he probably belongs ) and playing midfield.
Rinse and repeat.

I know I’m going against the popular opinion here but I do feel a bit sorry for Sons. Plays as a mid in the VFL but when he plays AFL it’s as a forward or a sub. He then gets dropped and plays mid, does well, gets promoted and as DA says above, rinse repeat.

Reactions: 7 users
Saw a few of his VFL games n didn't rate the way he played his footy there. Lift the heat and intensity at AFL level and his game was badly exposed. Perhaps needs a full season of dirty knees earn your keep grunt work at VFL level to hopefully learn the work, pressure and intensity required for AFL. His pretty n loose U18 style footy was never gunna transition to AFL standard. Either that or look a class above at suburban footy.

Reactions: 1 users
Saw a few of his VFL games n didn't rate the way he played his footy there. Lift the heat and intensity at AFL level and his game was badly exposed. Perhaps needs a full season of dirty knees earn your keep grunt work at VFL level to hopefully learn the work, pressure and intensity required for AFL. His pretty n loose U18 style footy was never gunna transition to AFL standard. Either that or look a class above at suburban footy.
Credit where it’s due TM, you had Sonsie figured out long before the rest of us did.

Credit where it’s due TM, you had Sonsie figured out long before the rest of us did.
Hate that it's no good for the club, or player though. I'd be much happier for all the kids we draft to be successful picks n have good AFL careers. No idea if the Sonz is gunna be kept to see out his contract for next year, but geez he needs to find some hard nosed competitive edge to his game if he wants to survive at AFL level.

Clarkes
Hits-Higgins/Balta/Miller/Baker/Ross/Townsend/Ralphsmith/Gibcus/Brown/Campbell/McCauliffe/Mansell
Misses-CCJ/Naish/RCD/Turner/English/Aarts/Chol/Dow/Martyn/Cumberland/ Biggie/Sonsie
Jury-Ryan/MRJ/Banks/Clarke/Smith/Green/Young/Fawcett/Coultard.

How many rnd 1 busts?(Not that we had any top end due to our success)
Some of those misses are a bit harsh.

Rookie listed:
Aarts - 42 games
Chol - 77 games
That's more than the average return for that type of player.
Also, too optimistic:
McAuliffe, Campbell - too early to say they're a hit yet. Handful of games with some signs.

Sonsie is a bust, but Banks jury out?

Banks taken higher, should be seen as a better player and more likely to succeed. Are you judging him with currency bias, same with Sonsie?
Sonsie started out better, has been disappointing this year. Banks has largely been disappointing so far, but has shown signs (finally) in the past few weeks. Too much what have you done for me lately, rather than the whole body of work.
Maybe Sonsie's been carrying an injury and playing because we haven't had enough players available? We don't know. Deserving to be dropped this week.
The 21 draftees have got 12 months to show something still, but some of them would want to get rubber to hit road real soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Clearly he has neither the physical or mental capacities nor the motivation to play the game at the highest level (which clearly the Dorks realised when they completely lost interest despite one decent VFL game, especially when they discovered his total opposite in Newcombe!).
Really sorry to say it about a kid that apparently loved the Tigers and supposedly wanted to make it for them as an AFL player. Unfortunately, looks to be another high draft pick near-disaster that we've been left holding by Clarke.

He's nearly killed the future i.e. Clarke :mad:
Sonsie wasn’t a high draft pick, he was number 28. You get some good players there and sometimes you don’t.

Average games played for a pick between 21-30 is 86.

Yup. Totally true. Can't run with questionable competitiveness. Not a good combo.

Reckon it's also one of the reason's he hasn't been played midfield.

Good lesson in it for our recruiters not to pick players because they have a nice fluent kicking action (not that he's actually a good kick anyway).

More to a footballer than that (as you know).
We always learn from others. I have been scratching my head wondering what it is that is wrong with this kid never once did i look at his running but as soon as someone points it out it is so obvious. Competitiveness has been obvious for awhile.

You just can,t believe a thing you read about players Nothing about a lack of pace raves about his kicking you just have to look for yourself.

Sonsie wasn’t a high draft pick, he was number 28. You get some good players there and sometimes you don’t.

Average games played for a pick between 21-30 is 86.
Wasn't he a slider though? I'll have to look back at the 2021 draft thread.

Reactions: 1 user
On our current list i can think of two players Bolton pick 29/130gms Balta pick 25/100 gms taken between picks 21 and 30.
Even McIntosh just outside at pick 31 184gms.
Clubs right thru the league have plenty of very good players taken in this range and i think it a bit spurious to just glibly say the average games played for a pick between 21 and 30 is 86 games.
Get these picks right and there is plenty of high quality kids there for the taking.

That range still provides ample opportunity to get your self very good 100 200+ plus game players.
If we are to turn our backs on these type of picks we may as well give up.

So if 86 games is the yard stick which is silly by the way. The obvious question is will Clarke, Sonsie, Dow, Banks even get there?.

Our problem we have not found a very good player with a pick in this range since 2017 the ones we do have we are still wondering what we have.

Anyway i think its not just about picks and where we have had em. Just as much about the player types we have constantly ignored.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree he needs a spell in the 2's. But why make him sub, gets 1 qtr than dropped.

Doesn't make sense.
Someone has to be sub. He was given another chance but managed zero efficient disposals in that quarter. Personally I wouldn't have given him that chance purely for his lack of effort and desire defensively. The players who want it work hard in other ways when things aren't going their way. Mansell a perfect example.

On our current list i can think of two players Bolton pick 29/130gms Balta pick 25/100 gms taken between picks 21 and 30.
Even McIntosh just outside at pick 31 184gms.
Clubs right thru the league have plenty of very good players taken in this range and i think it a bit spurious to just glibly say the average games played for a pick between 21 and 30 is 86 games.
Get these picks right and there is plenty of high quality kids there for the taking.

That range still provides ample opportunity to get your self very good 100 200+ plus game players.
If we are to turn our backs on these type of picks we may as well give up.

So if 86 games is the yard stick which is silly by the way. The obvious question is will Clarke, Sonsie, Dow, Banks even get there?.

Our problem we have not found a very good player with a pick in this range since 2017 the ones we do have we are still wondering what we have.

Anyway i think its not just about picks and where we have had em. Just as much about the player types we have constantly ignored.

The statistics (actual evidence) show that you're wrong. That type of argument is better reflection of a one that is "glib" or "spurious".

As for the types of players we've drafted, we obviously picked players that we felt would compliment our existing highly-successful game plan prior to 2020, albeit in what has turned out to be weaker drafts. From 2021 onwards we picked players with higher skill levels as the game changed outside of our control and the jury is still out.

IMO, Sonz won't make it, but Judson Clarke looks a likely type as did Gibcus but both have lost 12+ months through injury. Brown and Banks have potential to develop into B+ or better types. It's not all doom and gloom with our recruiting and it's good to have the fresh eyes of Toce overseeing things.

Some of those misses are a bit harsh.

Rookie listed:
Aarts - 42 games
Chol - 77 games
That's more than the average return for that type of player.
Also, too optimistic:
McAuliffe, Campbell - too early to say they're a hit yet. Handful of games with some signs.

Sonsie is a bust, but Banks jury out?

Banks taken higher, should be seen as a better player and more likely to succeed. Are you judging him with currency bias, same with Sonsie?
Sonsie started out better, has been disappointing this year. Banks has largely been disappointing so far, but has shown signs (finally) in the past few weeks. Too much what have you done for me lately, rather than the whole body of work.
Maybe Sonsie's been carrying an injury and playing because we haven't had enough players available? We don't know. Deserving to be dropped this week.
The 21 draftees have got 12 months to show something still, but some of them would want to get rubber to hit road real soon.
Fair points but Sonsie i guess he was touted in his draft year to be a 1st rnd contender.Slipped for reasons i guess we're seeing now.Lazy/slow etc.
Banks has shown improvement of late which is encouraging.
But your right the class of 21 except Gibcus have 12mnths to get it right.