Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper

If injuries keep reoccurring. Nothing else he or we can do.
Unfortunately he will be kept… Hartley has a lot riding on his trade both financially and decision process, so would want to see it out… with so many players leaving the club will want to hold onto hopper for stability

The new PRE whipping boy to take the blame for our losses!
We paid a hell of a lot for both Taranto and Hopper, both in terms of draft picks and salary cap. Yet we now have the worst midfield in the league, a midfield that with the exception of Ross (who is no star) is entirely intact.

It's obviously someone's fault?

And whilst it's true there is a lot of blame to go around, pointing the finger at one of our highest paid midfielders, who is on a 7 year contract, who cost us a top ten pick and who is proving to be to put it mildly, a very limited player, is hardly unreasonable.

Reactions: 4 users
Hopper is the Worst Richmond recruit in recent memory…. This trade forfeited our participation in a draft, and the 7 year deal at $750k a year deal is a waste ….. Clubs have received lighter penalties for salary cap breaches and drug scandals….
It makes Dayne Beams' return to Colonwood look like the deal of the ages...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'm still optimistic, regardless of the merits or otherwise of that trade (I don't disagree with what most are saying). If he gets his body right and can play without interruption, he's a good player. Likewise Taranto.

The thing to remember with them, and Dion as well, is they need to be around until the Superhunks 2.0 find their feet. The midfield mix will be important over the next couple of years and if the elite picks come on quickly, well, they will be highly paid VFL players. Annoying on paper but it is what it is.

I remember the game at Adelaide in round 2 or 3 last year when he was just about BOG, looks like a very astute trade at that time. Since then he's been in and out of rehab. Obviously no guarantees that this won't continue but if he does get some consistency he can be a B+ type of player again.

Reactions: 5 users
If we do go multiple top 20 draft picks this year by releasing Bolton, Baker, Rioli we need to have experienced players to help with the development of the new kids. At least for 25 and 26.

For that reason l say we keep Hopper

Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully just no continuity for the last 2 years is why we are seeing what we are at the moment.

Just not producing anything special.

At the Giants I thought he was more of a bull type

Last edited:
But of a Hannebery to st kilda feel to this one at the moment unfortunately. That shot them up the ladder.

Reactions: 3 users
Good footballer is Hopper , what we paid for Hopper was for a bloody good footballer , played some good footy for us , however no match winning midfield performance you deserve and expect when you give 7 year deals .

For me he plays like a player riddled with knee and soft tissues , gos to ground to easy , dosent accelerate like I’ve seen him do while at GWS , kicking lacks penetration, in saying that Jacob is a Tigerfor another 5 years and can hopefully get his body sound ( hopefully with a new fitness coach) and play an important role in our resurgence surrounded by elite young midfielders . He won’t be the elite mid we need and his role has to be more an inside bull then a two way runner we craved , again I’m hopeful he’ll be a beauty with our young midfielders over the next 3 or 4 years .

Reactions: 6 users
Hardwick may have pushed for the trade but Hartley as list manager was ultimately responsible for it.
And I think the Board has to tick it off, especially if 1st rounders are involved. At the time I thought it was nearly unanimous that people were happy to get Taranto and Hopper. I know I was.
There may have been the odd exception or two. But in the main, most were bloody excited at the time. Might have to have a sneak peak back.

Good footballer is Hopper , what we paid for Hopper was for a bloody good footballer , played some good footy for us , however no match winning midfield performance you deserve and expect when you give 7 year deals .

For me he plays like a player riddled with knee and soft tissues , gos to ground to easy , dosent accelerate like I’ve seen him do while at GWS , kicking lacks penetration, in saying that Jacob is a Tigerfor another 5 years and can hopefully get his body sound ( hopefully with a new fitness coach) and play an important role in our resurgence surrounded by elite young midfielders . He won’t be the elite mid we need and his role has to be more an inside bull then a two way runner we craved , again I’m hopeful he’ll be a beauty with our young midfielders over the next 3 or 4 years .

problem then is - where do you play Taranto mate?

It's glaring how slow we are and how little run we have when they are both in there together. It just doesn't work having those two inside players together.

Over the next year or so as hopefully some shiny new midfielder's move in there - reckon either Taranto will need to either play considerable time forward (as hopper can't play anywhere else)

Or Hopper is a VFL footballer who comes into the AFL team in emergency.

• Sad

It's glaring how slow we are and how little run we have when they are both in there together. It just doesn't work having those two inside players together.

Over the next year or so as hopefully some shiny new midfielder's move in there - reckon either Taranto will need to either play considerable time forward (as hopper can't play anywhere else)

Expensive VFL player!

Only 5 yrs to go
I was and still is a massive supporter of Hop and Tarranto.
But how long can you defend for??
Hopper needs to biggest pre-season in pre-season history. He needs to run up and down Mt Dandenong every day.
And Tarranto needs to pull his head out of ass because he is a 10 times better footballer that he is showing.
He can start with chasing when he hadn't got the ball
All I say thank god Cerra chose Carlton

Reactions: 1 user

Taranto definitely has to be played first , I think TT has payed his way very well , excluding having a bit of a freak injury , yes his a bit of a dump kicker , however as you’ve said mate there’s no speed and class on the outside for him to feed it out too, probably why Shorty still gets a bit of it 😎.

I’m “ hoping” Hopper can get back to a level where he plays as part of the midfield rotation, sadly it appears inside mid is all he can offer .

Hopper I think has the advantage that there’s no competition atm on the list and the kids from this years draft will take a while and will need protection from too many minutes in their first couple of seasons .

I’d imagine your correct if we are heading in the right direction that in a couple of seasons where Hopper will become just an emergency , a very well paid VFL star

Taranto definitely has to be played first , I think TT has payed his way very well , excluding having a bit of a freak injury , yes his a bit of a dump kicker , however as you’ve said mate there’s no speed and class on the outside for him to feed it out too, probably why Shorty still gets a bit of it 😎.

I’m “ hoping” Hopper can get back to a level where he plays as part of the midfield rotation, sadly it appears inside mid is all he can offer .

Hopper I think has the advantage that there’s no competition atm on the list and the kids from this years draft will take a while and will need protection from too many minutes in their first couple of seasons .

I’d imagine your correct if we are heading in the right direction that in a couple of seasons where Hopper will become just an emergency , a very well paid VFL star
If the shiny new toys we get in this year's draft progress well, then Hopper will slowly become surplus to our needs.

It is then we look to trade him out and Tasmania will have a bunch of draft picks the AFL will give them to trade in experience players