Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper

The glass half full side of me says it was good leadership. I can accept that it may have been frustration. But having been in some briefings and the coaches being pretty open in how much they have to teach and how they have to manage not overloading the guys I'll lean to Hops getting what was needed/planned and trying to get the guys to align.
We are often just a little off where we stand when the opposition is chipping the ball around. Impossible to know whether that is on the coaches or the players at this stage.

The glass half full side of me says it was good leadership. I can accept that it may have been frustration. But having been in some briefings and the coaches being pretty open in how much they have to teach and how they have to manage not overloading the guys I'll lean to Hops getting what was needed/planned and trying to get the guys to align.
I was close to the bench and I can tell you that he spent a lot of time on the phone, I assume with the coach, and also talking to the young mids and flankers when they were on the bench.

Reactions: 1 users
For the price and contract his on not good enough. I would trade him or Taranto.

Reactions: 1 user
bullus was spot on re taranto and Hopper trades but was hounded outta here.
I love Bullus, and would love him back, but sometimes you can keep fighting or just let things rest. I think he needs to just agree to disagree and move on.

For the price and contract his on not good enough. I would trade him or Taranto.
Was sceptical about taking both, although prepared to see if it could work.
Still too early to say its a fail for me, but the momentum has clearly gone one direction so far.

Still too early to say its a fail for me, but the momentum has clearly gone one direction so far.
I always remember an ABC radio interview with Benny at the end of the 22 season acknowledging there was a risk but justifying it.

It's been far from perfect with Hopper in particular but I'm also willing to give both an extra season. Think they and Prestia will be important for our batch of draftees in the next couple of years.

I was Dancing and singing.
I booked a cabinet maker to come and make me a bigger Glass cabinet to fit in the new cups we were going to win.
How wrong was I?
Tarranto dosent chase and has the urgency of a sloth and Hopper spends more time on all 4's then a 18 month year old.

But let's not cry about losing the draft picks.
We wouldve destroyed them anyway.

We shouldve kept our 1st pick in 2020 and picked Holmes instead of giving it to Geelong.
Why didn't Hartley & Clarke know Holmes??
That's the scary bit,

Melbourne are trying to dispatch Oliver because he plays similarly and walks around like 85yo man and constantly gets left in his wake at stoppages. Hopper has poor DE also which was one of his strengths early in his career. I think injuries and rushing under because he’s slowed down due to them has now caught up with him. I still think we may be able to rescue him as he can win a lot of hard footy, but he needs quality and slick ball movers beside him. The bottom line is TT, Prestia , JGTI , Dow and him are all slow and poor with disposal especially by foot which other mids just feast on them. You can carry two of them , but not all five.

I was Dancing and singing.
I booked a cabinet maker to come and make me a bigger Glass cabinet to fit in the new cups we were going to win.
How wrong was I?
Tarranto dosent chase and has the urgency of a sloth and Hopper spends more time on all 4's then a 18 month year old.

But let's not cry about losing the draft picks.
We wouldve destroyed them anyway.

We shouldve kept our 1st pick in 2020 and picked Holmes instead of giving it to Geelong.
Why didn't Hartley & Clarke know Holmes??
That's the scary bit,
Selling the bigger glass cabinet cheaply by any chance? Looking for one to house my 2028 break dancing medals.

• Haha
If Hopper's role was filling the space it didn't really work. He only had 3 intercepts and Saints, like every game except one of the last 7 or so, kicked very straight for goal (read easy positions to kick goals). Obviously it's not just on him but we just don't have the balance right, too slow to defend in the middle. Hopper is 28 next year, he's at his peak age and it typically goes downhill from there. For me, with Taranto already traded, it was excessive to take Hopper as well. We have him now, have to first and foremost keep him fit.

If another club was interested in taking on the contract would you move him on?
Possibly. It'd depend what we were replacing him with. Let's say we moved him and brought in someome like Hobbs or Phillips (inside young guy, missing opportunity), or took Jagga. It'd probably mean keeping Dow longer.
I'd take the short term hit for a longer term pay off.
That said, I don't think we'd get value in return and I'd rather we not sell at the bottom after such a premium cost.

As was obvious at the time, Hopper just ain't that good. Extremely limited footballer.

Insane trade. We should look for any club that will take him, even if we have to pay his salary.

Reactions: 5 users