Welcome Jacob Blight | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Jacob Blight

Needs to trim down.

Give him a 1 year contract. Get a preseason into him to build his fitness and lose a bit of bulk and see how he goes.

Has played way above the level in the VFL to not give him a chance.

Reactions: 8 users
Too slow, looks lost ..
As Morris said Blight still needs work on understanding the patterns over the next pre-season. Only been at the club 2 minutes.

It's a little amusing that many thought it a farce over the last few games that Blight wasn't getting an AFL game and now getting caned based on the one game. Well this is why. Should have stayed in the 2s for the rest of this season, experience an AFL level pre-season and learn the system. And see what he has for us at AFL level next year.

Reactions: 6 users
We gave him a go. But there must be a huge difference between leagues. What did they see?
Because if you watched him today.
He was always 2 metres behind but never close to tackle. He kicks like a donkey and slower and then Miller.
I would play him at full foward next week

For someone who was meant to be a good intercept mark he drops a few.

It’s like he is playing confused & his confidence has dropped

Geez some of you guys are a hard crowd to please. I was there today and watched Blight carefully I trust him more in a one-on-one contest than Miller.
12 disposals @75% DE, 8 marks, 3 tackles and 359 meters gained.

A whole preseason will do wonders. Trim down, and get fitter which will give him a bit more speed and allow for more offensive runs.

Reactions: 11 users
The lad is just at the start of his career and playing in a defence that has no support from the midfield. Sure he has things to work on so let's see what a preseason coaching can do for him before writing him off
UK he can't turn.
A VW combi turns quicker.

Yes he's only played a couple of games however IMO he's too slow & has a poor kick.
Can those things be fixed?
He looks like a kick mark type to me which will have success at the lower levels but will struggle with the more mobile expectations of AFL level key defenders now. Maybe with an amended fitness regime over summer he could slim down & pick up pace but I'm not convinced. Gray actually looked a better prospect on the small glimpses we've seen.
With Gibcus also (hopefully) in the wings & Lynch due to return I'm not sure I'd extend him tbh.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes he's only played a couple of games however IMO he's too slow & has a poor kick.
He looks like a kick mark type to me which will have success at the lower levels but will struggle with the more mobile expectations of AFL level key defenders now. Maybe with an amended fitness regime over summer he could slim down & pick up pace but I'm not convinced. Gray actually looked a better prospect on the small glimpses we've seen.
With Gibcus also (hopefully) in the wings & Lynch due to return I'm not sure I'd extend him tbh.
I think Trezzy is in the same boat. Unreliable kicks and just look a tad off pace.

I did notice at the ground that there is something slightly off with his kicking and ball drop. He fluffed a few kicks that went to the right spots but just didnt look right off the boot.

I would still keep him around.

There are absolutely no guarantees that Gibcus or Young coming off ACL's will have acceptable years.

Gibcus through bad luck or body at the moment cannot guarantee he can stay on the park.
Young had actually regressed a fair bit prior to the knee injury so jury is out on whether he is a first team player

Reactions: 1 users
Love his size, anticipation, and marking ability. The latter just seems smooth as silk, fantastic technique.

But can you teach a guy to kick at this point? Couple of those non-pressured kicks were just up-country shanks. Iron that out somehow and there’s a player there.

Reactions: 1 user
As Morris said Blight still needs work on understanding the patterns over the next pre-season. Only been at the club 2 minutes.

It's a little amusing that many thought it a farce over the last few games that Blight wasn't getting an AFL game and now getting caned based on the one game. Well this is why. Should have stayed in the 2s for the rest of this season, experience an AFL level pre-season and learn the system. And see what he has for us at AFL level next year.
💯 they thought we had the next Rance sitting in the vfl.

Reactions: 1 user