Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
rockstar_tiger said:
We couldn't afford to trade Ben for a 2nd round pick because the one thing we badly NEED and have needed for decades is precisely what Ben brings to the table - ability to spark a cultural revolution at Tigerland ;)

Guess what??

Brett Deledio laid SEVEN TACKLES this weekend!

You can't put a price on the impact Ben Cousins is having on our players.

I would happily turn down a top 10 pick if it means Deledio alone continues to run hard like he is finally doing now.

Jade Rawlings almost dropped Lids 3 weeks ago or has Benny only just finally had a word with him? ::)

Tigers of Old said:
If Cousin's was 26 it would be a ridiculous poll but he's not.
Given the massive disparity of the ages on our list we need to be adding quality kids to the bottom of our list who might be part of a RFC premiership one day long after Benny's retired.

If club's won't give anything for him then obviously we sign him again for next year but I'd sure test the waters.
You certainly have a set against Cousins ToO,no club would consider offering a round 2 pick so I think its a silly poll

Tigers of Old said:
Really bobby? I am surprised.

You shouldn't be mate ;D

I have been on the Cousins to Richmond bandwagon from the very start for the reasons we are seeing now. As I have said earlier a lot to play out in this Cousins era and his legacy in my opinion will be significant for years to come. I still remember having the discussion with DD at The cricketers before a game about exactly what Cousins would bring, and to see it unfold has been the best thing for me this year. His body will withstand the rigors and although yes he is past his absolute best, he still has a lot of great football to play for us, but he has even more intangibles left to provide this football club and to guys like Deledio, Tambling, Cotchin, Collins, Connors, Foley etc.

He is already the best leader to be in a Richmond jumper since I have been around in this world. We cannot let him go.

mb64 said:
You certainly have a set against Cousins ToO,no club would consider offering a round 2 pick so I think its a silly poll

If Travis Johnstone can get you pick 14 Cousins can get you pick 30.

mb64 said:
no club would consider offering a round 2 pick

That may well be the case mel blanc, still can't hurt to ask IMO. Seems plenty here think he's worth more than that.

BTW I enjoyed watching Benny run around last week first hand. Played well.
He's given us plenty more so far than I expected and credit to him.

Tigerbob said:
As I have said earlier a lot to play out in this Cousins era and his legacy in my opinion will be significant for years to come.

Like we are seeing now at WC?

I think you're overstating the long term impact bobby.

When Ben soon departs our young leaders will largely need to forge their own way but yes I am sure they've picked up some knowledge off Ben this year.

Seriously if we want to keep a 35 year old Richo who in my opinion is a big sook and trade Ben Cousins who will be 31 next year and has so much leadership on the field, we would be seriously heading in the wrong direction.

Retire Richo - keep cousins.

That's not the point at all. Is anyone going to offer a second rounder for Richo?

Disco08 said:
That's not the point at all. Is anyone going to offer a second rounder for Richo?

IMO, I don't think Richo himself will agree to move and the trade won't go forward even if offered.

Tigers of Old said:
Personally I think we need all the talented juniors we can get.

We can keep getting juniors, we make room for them by getting rid of duds like Schulz, JON and McMahon.

Not good players like Cousins.

Players like Schulz, JON and McMahon don't get you picks that give you a chance to pick up the good juniors. We'll be replacing most of those blokes with the dregs of a draft low on talent because a third of the players that would usually be eligible aren't this year.

a second rounder? a top 30 pick? for a 32 year old? while we are in the middle of a serious rebuild?

definately yes.

it doesn't surprise me to see the poll favouring a no vote as most ferals, as desperate as they are to go to games and see the tigers win so they can sing the song and high five each other, just can't see past their nose unfortunately.

As most would know, I generally have pretty firm rules on twilight players.
But there are always exceptions.

One of the most important elements of leadership is the influence that a Leader can have on others, in terms of extra-effort, efficiency & satisfaction.

If I look at other twilighters at Tigerland - Richo, Bowden, Brown, et al - I cannot necessarily say that they have that extra influence on others.
With Cousins, his influence is quite clear.

Cousins, in his current pattern, should continue his onfield leadership role at Tigerland, with a view to continuing it off the field when he retires.

This man has intangible qualities that we cannot afford to lose.

PS. Can't believe how much my view on Cousins has changed over the year.

Harry said:
a second rounder? a top 30 pick? for a 32 year old? while we are in the middle of a serious rebuild?

definately yes.

it doesn't surprise me to see the poll favouring a no vote as most ferals, as desperate as they are to go to games and see the tigers win so they can sing the song and high five each other, just can't see past their nose unfortunately.

Might want to read the thread rather than just the poll harry. You might find a few darksiders saying no as well.

Phantom said:
Cousins, in his current pattern, should continue his onfield leadership role at Tigerland, with a view to continuing it off the field when he retires.
This man has intangible qualities that we cannot afford to lose.

Spot on.

B1

wayne said:
We can keep getting juniors, we make room for them by getting rid of duds like Schulz, JON and McMahon.

Not good players like Cousins.

lol - yeah we can pick up guns with picks 89, 93 and 98. better call the club.