Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Liverpool said:
Maybe not age-wise...but playing-wise, he is playing as good as he did at the Eagles.

As a Tiger living in WA, and an avid Eagles watcher (trying to learn where we go wrong), I can't agree on that one. I am yet to see him run a game out like he did when he was at the Eagles. I also don't think his ball handling is as clean, which may be a symptom of lack of game time this season more than anything, but you can only judge what you see.

Good question, .

I love watching Cuz play, but would do so even if he played for another team. It's a purely hypothetical question but if team on the verge of a grand final asked for Cuz and he wanted to go why shouldn't we shake hands, wish him all the best and take the draft pick?

Keeping Cuz on a rebuilding team seems a luxury that we can't really afford, the kids have probably most of what they can learn from him.

But teams probably won't trade for him.. Why? Because it means admitting they got in wrong just 12 months ago in a very high profile bitter pill for clubs to swallow.

What a joke.
The exsperience he has and knowledge he can pass on to the younger players is INVALUALBLE.
This knowledge is allready showing.
He is a champion.

I would definitely NOT trade Ben Cousins for anything.

His value as I said to a few on here when we first got him will be the things we inherit from him long after he has gone.

He still has so much to impart that we cannot get from anywhere else.

Also this story of his will be looked back in history as something special, I am glad this club will be a major part of that.

I think we can get three more good years from Ben Cousins. But Ben Cousins legacy will be around for a long, long time.

I think some people (non-Victorians) need to get a closer look at what Cuz does during training including before and after games.

Newman is our official captain but it's obvious Cuz is the real leader at the club.

If he was just a cruiser until he decided to retire or injury finished his career, then I'd rate him as average. But fortunately for a failed club like ours, we found someone who can really build our kids at no cost.

Tigers of Old said:
I'm not asking that. I am asking would you take it if it was offered.

Yep. I think Ben's been excellent value as a PSD. I also think he can be better value traded on to someone else for more.

I would prefer it if a club made that offer for NGB, that way we get the 2nd rounder and get to keep Cuz.

Although the circumstances are very different I note that the WCE midfield basically collapsed the day Judd and Cuz walked out. Whatever teaching and leadership they imparted on the club was not sustainable once their individual brilliance was no longer around to maintain it.

TigerForce said:
I think some people (non-Victorians) need to get a closer look at what Cuz does during training including before and after games.

Newman is our official captain but it's obvious Cuz is the real leader at the club.

As he was when Judd took over at WC. That is one strong personality there.

He's close to end of career, and a chance to get a kid who may play for ten years?

trade for me

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Although the circumstances are very different I note that the WCE midfield basically collapsed the day Judd and Cuz walked out. Whatever teaching and leadership they imparted on the club was not sustainable once their individual brilliance was no longer around to maintain it.

Not neccessarily so Col. If the cattle ain't good enough, it ain't good enough. You can't really say that the example of Judd and Cousins has been lost on the Eagles that remained. They might have taken it all on board and more, but just not been good enough to make it in the AFL.

Streak said:
As he was when Judd took over at WC. That is one strong personality there.

SEN mentioned that he loves being the grandpa at our club and loves the challenge of teaching our kids rather than someone (ala N G Brown) who joins a new club and just cruises along playing his own game.

Col.W.Kurtz said:

Once Judd and Cousins left, apart from Kerr, WC had no-one left.

If Judd and Cousins had left WC having had Cotchin, Deledio, Tambling, Foley, Jackson, etc, under their wing for 2 or 3 years, WC would be a hell of a lot more competitive than they are currently.

Tigers of Old said:
3 years? Maybe we'd get that many if we're very lucky.
A player like Jayden Post might offer you 15.
Depends where you see us at I guess.
Personally I think we need all the talented juniors we can get.

Spot on. I love Cuz but we don't owe him anything.

IMO he has at least another two good seasons in him. Potentially 3. But his hamstrings could go next year and that could be career over.

A second round pick would be speculative but in terms of long term success would pay more dividends. It's highly unlikely this would ever happen though

Col.W.Kurtz said:
I love watching Cuz play, but would do so even if he played for another team. It's a purely hypothetical question but if team on the verge of a grand final asked for Cuz and he wanted to go why shouldn't we shake hands, wish him all the best and take the draft pick?

Bit of a different question/answer when you add on "and he wanted to go". :hihi

Anyone who doesn't want to wear our jumper I am happy to hold the door open for them on the way out as long as we haven't done wrong by them.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Keeping Cuz on a rebuilding team seems a luxury that we can't really afford, the kids have probably most of what they can learn from him.

Disagree strongly. Especially with a young side. I take your point about Cousins and Judd leaving but that is a very different kettle of fish and viewed wrongly I believe. Kids or veterans don't become champions overnight because they played under one, it is merely something that improves the rate of their development and the quality of player they will eventually mature into.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
But teams probably won't trade for him.. Why? Because it means admitting they got in wrong just 12 months ago in a very high profile bitter pill for clubs to swallow.

Also disagree. Football clubs are forgiving places if it brings you success. Any club can always say "Well, he was uncertain and a risk to our players potentially, but he showed at Richmond he is seriously committed to his footy again"

I bet more than a few clubs would be watching Cousin run around for us when he is playing and wish they had taken the chance. Do you seriously think if Cousins was on the market this year there would be no takers? I find that hard to comprehend myself mate.

Would clubs give a 2nd Round? That's a different question, I still think a club like a Sydney would or a premiership threat. However saying teams probably wouldn't trade for him full stop I find hard to believe myself.

Tiger74 said:
He's close to end of career, and a chance to get a kid who may play for ten years?

trade for me

but what if that kid turns out to be a 2 year dud? 2nd rounder doesn't guarantee anything, no more then it did picking Fiora as a 1st rounder.

Our club never had the guts to at least trade better than average or average players and yet we're hypothetically questioning if a current valuable player like Cuz would be traded for a 2nd round pick that we don't know of and possibly don't need in the short run.

Ridiculous poll.

tigerjoe12 said:
A second round pick would be speculative but in terms of long term success would pay more dividends. It's highly unlikely this would ever happen though

It would only pay more dividends if that 'speculative pick' turned out to be a good player.

With Cuz, we know what we are getting on the field....and we have the added bonus of him being a born leader and a Premiership player with experience.
Something we haven't had at the club for a long time....and something players like Lids and Cotch can aim to be like. They have a benchmark now which will surely help their development even further.

You won't get that from another round-2 draft pick.

In fact, I can't see why he couldn't play out the rest of his career at Richmond....why are we hell-bent on trading players as soon as they show any value? ::)