Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No. Quality player who can win the ball, great disposal and never quits. His on/off field leadership and ability to guide some of our younger players is worth something to this club over the next 2-3 years.

Harry said:
a second rounder? a top 30 pick? for a 32 year old? while we are in the middle of a serious rebuild?

definately yes.

it doesn't surprise me to see the poll favouring a no vote as most ferals, as desperate as they are to go to games and see the tigers win so they can sing the song and high five each other, just can't see past their nose unfortunately.

Agree.

Phantom said:
As most would know, I generally have pretty firm rules on twilight players.
But there are always exceptions.

One of the most important elements of leadership is the influence that a Leader can have on others, in terms of extra-effort, efficiency & satisfaction.

If I look at other twilighters at Tigerland - Richo, Bowden, Brown, et al - I cannot necessarily say that they have that extra influence on others.
With Cousins, his influence is quite clear.

Cousins, in his current pattern, should continue his onfield leadership role at Tigerland, with a view to continuing it off the field when he retires.

This man has intangible qualities that we cannot afford to lose.

PS. Can't believe how much my view on Cousins has changed over the year.

+1

For those saying no, would you trade him for any of Ward, Scott Selwood, Pears, Otten, Swift, Zaharakis, Suban or Beams?

Disco08 said:
For those saying no, would you trade him for any of Ward, Scott Selwood, Pears, Otten, Swift, Zaharakis, Suban or Beams?

Would you trade Richo to the dogs for a second round pick?

Tigers of Old said:
I would in a heartbeat but I doubt that they'd give it to us.

I know you would ToO. It's just disco asked who would give up a second round pick for Richo and I am certain the dogs would. This year it would what pick 32-35?

Cousins offers a lot more leadership to the younger guys than Richo ever has.

WesternTiger said:
I know you would ToO. It's just disco asked who would give up a second round pick for Richo and I am certain the dogs would.

Cousins offers a lot more leadership to the younger guys than Richo ever has.

Can we get two 2nd rounders? ;D

WesternTiger said:
Would you trade Richo to the dogs for a second round pick?

Yep, if Richo was happy to be traded.

You quoted my question and answered it with a question BTW. Poor form. ;D

Tigers of Old said:
Can we get two 2nd rounders? ;D

But where would the on field leadership come from?

The constant criticisms of the RFC is that we have no leadership, we are introverts, we don’t have a player who can grab the game by the throat, we have no gut runners, we don’t do the 1%, etc, etc.

Cousins provides all of that and he leads by example.

For what, another year? If we're going to have any future at all leadership has to come from the likes of Deledio, Cotchin, Tambling, Riewoldt and co. They've had a year to learn from Cousins. How much more do they need?

Disco08 said:
Yep, if Richo was happy to be traded.

You quoted my question and answered it with a question BTW. Poor form. ;D

You were to slow to respond to my response to your initial post! Lift! ;D

Disco08 said:
For what, another year? If we're going to have any future at all leadership has to come from the likes of Deledio, Cotchin, Tambling, Riewoldt and co. They've had a year to learn from Cousins. How much more do they need?

Exactly.
What happens when Ben's not there to hold their hand in a year or so?

What we really need (as we've seen with Rawlings appt) is a new coach who provides leadership.

Tigerbob said:
I would definitely NOT trade Ben Cousins for anything.

His value as I said to a few on here when we first got him will be the things we inherit from him long after he has gone.

He still has so much to impart that we cannot get from anywhere else.

Also this story of his will be looked back in history as something special, I am glad this club will be a major part of that.

I think we can get three more good years from Ben Cousins. But Ben Cousins legacy will be around for a long, long time.

Agree, absolute ludicrous for just thinking about trading him.

Tigers of Old said:
Exactly.
What happens when Ben's not there to hold their hand in a year or so?

Well maybe Ben will be there in 3 years time. Maybe Ben will be there in 5 years time (assistant coach). Maybe Ben will breakdown in round 1 2010 and never play again. I don't know but what he is showing out there now is something no RFC player has displayed for a very long time.

Most say it takes a year to settle into a new club. This could be the tip of the ice ( :hihi) berg for Ben and he may have a lot more to offer as he becomes more comfortable with the playing group. Sunday was the first time I have seen him address the players on the field and I hope there is a lot more to come.

ToO I was squarely in your corner last year re. not taking Ben but from what I have seen and heard, well I was wrong.

It really interests me how people know the things they claim about Ben's influence on the team. His work rate is used as an example but has our team improved in fitness since he's been there? We've lost most of our games, sometimes giving up a good lead so has he instilled an absolute will to win? He's been credited as the best trainer. What does he do more than some other players who by all reports have to be held back from attending every session and training too hard? It's said his presence will leave a long term legacy. How has that manifested at the Weagles? It's alluded to that he's the reason Lids laid 7 tackles. If that's the case why didn't Ben do that himself, or why didn't every player do it? His silky skills are mentioned while other players with better efficiency ratings, Whitey for example, skills are bagged.

Ben is a valuable player in our team. He is also a marketing ploy for the club so they'll naturally release spin about him. Are people placing him on the pedestal due to the spin? Don't forget the players and the coach were all behind Terry, and the place was united, a couple of weeks before he left.

Decisions made on Ben Cousins should be made both on his on-field performance and weighing up the pros and cons of keeping him. A 32yo body compared to a kid for the future should at least given some consideration if it was put on the table. I suspect Ben's marketability value would be a major priority in decisions made about his future. That doesn't necessarily mean it will benefit our team long term as far as ultimate success is concerned.

Then again Ben just might be named NS medalist in our premiership win next year. Don't know don't care. If they're Tigers I'll support them.

Should we trade Cuz?
Lemme think.

All Australian.
Brownlow Medallist.
Club Captain.
Premiership Player.
Gut runs harder than 600 others in the comp.
On field he sets up blocks and space for others.
Talks like a leader on the field.
Is only now getting back to his peak physical condition.
Has maybe 2 more years left in him. 3 at a pinch.
Is one of our 3 classiest players - with lids & cotch.
So should we trade him?

You work it out.

Phantom said:
As most would know, I generally have pretty firm rules on twilight players.
But there are always exceptions.

One of the most important elements of leadership is the influence that a Leader can have on others, in terms of extra-effort, efficiency & satisfaction.

If I look at other twilighters at Tigerland - Richo, Bowden, Brown, et al - I cannot necessarily say that they have that extra influence on others.
With Cousins, his influence is quite clear.

Cousins, in his current pattern, should continue his onfield leadership role at Tigerland, with a view to continuing it off the field when he retires.

This man has intangible qualities that we cannot afford to lose.

PS. Can't believe how much my view on Cousins has changed over the year.

agree