Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GoodOne said:
So if Cousins was 35 would you trade him for a 2nd round pick? How about if he was 40? It all comes down to how long you think he can last. I doubt he';; be around another two years and on that basis I would trade him for a 2nd rounder. But as I said, it wont happen, I doubt it has ever happened, an over 30yo for a 2nd rounder.

But he's not 35 or 40 years of age....he's in his prime and playing well.

People can go on about he won't be part of a Premiership but he can help the kids over the next couple of seasons as a "mentor" and a leader on the paddock helping these kids grow...so when he does retire, the kids can take over from where he left off and help the next baqtch of young kids we draft.
Thats how you get a culture at the club.

At last we have an experienced player, a Premiership player, a Brownlow Medallist, and a spiritual captain of a premiership team still able to bring a lot to the table on gameday.
Lets not blow it.

GoodOne said:
Is he? Benny's had alot more injury worries than I remember Harvey having. Harvey (and Richo) are freaks of nature. Gets harder and harder as the game gets quicker every year. If Cousins could play to 35 then maybe a different story, but I doubt he'll be playing past another year or so.
I don't remember Cuz doing a knee. Letting Richo go is easier than Cuz imo. Richo never made it to leadership group. Cuz's leadership is unquestionable. Both gut runners but I've never seen Cuz lay *smile* on his teammates - chalk & cheese.

I said no, but not with any real conviction. I think we would lose a valuable team leader if we did trade him, and they are in short supply at our club at the moment. The possible impact of such a move on our younger players, particularly after the game against the Bombers Cotchin, would also concern me.

Streak said:
Can dig most of your post there Livers, but Cousins in his prime, that is stretching it a bit.

Maybe not age-wise...but playing-wise, he is playing as good as he did at the Eagles.

Liverpool said:
Maybe not age-wise...but playing-wise, he is playing as good as he did at the Eagles.

What rubbish. He's played a couple of very good games.

He's also missed 5 games due to injury/illness.

I am amazed at the short sightedness of some on here.

Tigers of Old said:
Remember when North traded Wayne Schwass for Shannon Grant a few years back?
Not the same trade exactly but the principle is there.

Ben cost us a PSD selection, he's brought knowledge to a struggling club for sure but he's very unlikely to be part of a RFC premiership IMO.
I don't think it's that ridiculous at all and if a challenger was prepared to do it I'd go for it particularly at a time when draft picks are at a premium.

Amazes me that some folks think our other senior players will attract anything at the trade table yet Cousins who has genuine value is off limits.

No club would offer a 2nd rounder for a 31+ year player who is injury prone and has no playing certainty beyond 2010. Ben also cost us bugger all in the PSD and I'm glad we grabbed him for the class player he is. His leadership and mentoring on guys like Cotchin, Deledio is invaluable and will help take those guys forward long after he has retired.

Tigers of Old said:
What rubbish. He's played a couple of very good games.

He's also missed 5 games due to injury/illness.

I am amazed at the short sightedness of some on here.

Couple of very good games?? 243 disposals in 10 games.

Short-sightedness from us who see what he does on and off-field during games with the kids??

Brett15 said:
No club would offer a 2nd rounder for a 31+ year player who is injury prone and has no playing certainty beyond 2010.

I'm not asking that. I am asking would you take it if it was offered.

TigerForce said:
Couple of very good games??

Yep. I think Ben's been excellent value as a PSD. I also think he can be better value traded on to someone else for more.

Couple of very good games when his had 243 disposals in 10 games (average 24 per game).

Tigers of Old said:
Yep. I think Ben's been excellent value as a PSD. I also think he can be better value traded on to someone else for more.

He is building our kids for christs sake. How often do you get that from any recycled player?

Freezer said:
He voluntarily stepped down.
cmon freezer, what does that say? I'll never debate Richo's brilliance but always happy to debate his negative influence on the team.

Tigers of Old said:
How many has Bowden averaged this year?

Stats, schmats. He's had a couple of very good games.

Bowden plays, leads and disposes the ball in the same way Cuz does ?? :rofl :rofl :rofl

Funny how Joel's about to be kicked out and Cuz is a valuable asset every week in the seniors.

TigerForce said:
Couple of very good games?? 243 disposals in 10 games.
Short-sightedness from us who see what he does on and off-field during games with the kids??

Exactly! :clap

Its great having the kids and all....but you still need some experience out on the paddock.

Tigers of Old,
I didn't see Hawthorn trading Crawford for a draft pick when they drafted the likes of Ellis, Franklin, Dowler, etc.
Same goes for Cousins....alongside the likes of Post, Cotchin, vickery, etc.