Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Big Cat Lover said:
IMO the only offer you couldn't refuse would be a Top 10 pick and that won't happen

I can't see how we could refuse a top 20 pick. Geez the pro tankers want to tank to get a top 20 pick

CC TIGER said:
Geez if we traded Cuz to the Pies he may well bring them a falg .....do we really want that :'(

Unless you think Cousins is going to be a part of a premiership at Richmond, I could care less if the youngster we gained in return helped get us get one (or more) a few years later. That's what you have to weigh up.

Interesting to hear Ross Lyon say Leigh Montagna has been trying to model his game on Benny this year.

IanG said:
I can't see how we could refuse a top 20 pick. Geez the pro tankers want to tank to get a top 20 pick
Well with our success rate with top 20 picks I'd be inclined to hang in there, JON, Meyer, Patto, and a few others who had such impact I can't even remember their names :hihi

btoz_01 said:
Congrats everyone 40+ pages and still going strong :clap

Been away for a few days from here and I see this thread still going! :eek:

Not bad...thats over 1 page for every muppet thats wants to trade our best player... ;D

rosy23 said:
I don't know what you're on about to be honest DD. I've commented a bit about claims of the Cousins legacy in a few years time, rather than present impact.

Yes but you were stating how "amused" you were at posters who posted years ago with reference to backing Wallace and my point is you can't compare apples to oranges. Speculating on someone not in the club yet is very different to people discussing someone within the club's impact.

rosy23 said:
I can't answer the question because I can't make sense of what you're actually asking me. I haven't talked, as far as I can recall at least, of moving Ben on. If you elaborate, and maybe give examples of what you're referring to I'll have a crack at it.

Apologies for not being more clear. Simply saying you are one of the people on here who have questioned Cousins influence on the players and even made a reference to his legacy at WCE and their form now.

Leading organisations don't bring someone in who proves to have a strong impact on players and work place culture and then get rid of them the next year unless they feel they cannot perform at their job or have nothing more to offer.

Other people who have questioned his value have stated they don't believe he will have much more to offer after this first year and would have taught most of what he has to impart on the group. I'm asking you if you share this opinion.

Dyer Disciple said:
Yes but you were stating how "amused" you were at posters who posted years ago with reference to backing Wallace and my point is you can't compare apples to oranges. Speculating on someone not in the club yet is very different to people discussing someone within the club's impact.

I have commented on past claims about Wallace coming to the club and I have commented on claims about Cousins legacy at the club in the future. I don't agree they're apples and oranges. They are both speculative in regard to what people think will happen rather than concrete evidence.

For example I think
Tigerbob said:

I think we can get three more good years from Ben Cousins. But Ben Cousins legacy will be around for a long, long time.

is speculation similar to

Tigerbob said:
Shultz will be an absolute star.

He was poorly managed by the coaching staff (like everyone else) but has so much potential, and with the right coaching (Terry Wallace and Brian Royal) he will be a star!

Both are opinions about what will happen in the future rather than anything factual. We didn't know how Jay would turn out and we don't know if we can get 3 good years out of Ben.

Dyer Disciple said:
Apologies for not being more clear. Simply saying you are one of the people on here who have questioned Cousins influence on the players and even made a reference to his legacy at WCE and their form now.

If people claim he'll have some lasting effect at our club in years to come I think it's relevant and reasonable, considering claims like rockstar's below for example, to wonder about his lasting influence at the Weagles since he's been gone.

rockstar_tiger said:
.... this champion leader must be kept around our club as long as possible. Our culture nearly swallowed up Deledio (by his own amission of becoming lazy and not confronting his weaknesses this season) - I bring this up to show how important club culture is, and how much impact is has on everyone's performance.

We don't have a choice. We don't have the luxery of trading away Ben Cousins. We need his qualities at our club for us to succeed, and by the time we find them elsewhere (and implement them from trial and error) this current batch of talent could be too old and it will take another 8 year rebuild at least. It will be 2020+ if we don't find these qualities from somewhere within the next couple of years.

Dyer Disciple said:
Leading organisations don't bring someone in who proves to have a strong impact on players and work place culture and then get rid of them the next year unless they feel they cannot perform at their job or have nothing more to offer.

That's not necessarily true. More accurate to say they don't do that if they can't get someone who they feel might benefit their organisation better. I repeat I haven't suggested we trade Ben Cousins, but I have said every player has a value and if we can increase that value we'd be silly not to look at it. That's not Cousins' specific, it is ANY player. I doubt anyone has said Ben has nothing to offer or can't perform. It's hypothetical as to whether we'd benefit more long term by keeping him or trading him. As I already said I don't think it will happen anyway.

Dyer Disciple said:
Other people who have questioned his value have stated they don't believe he will have much more to offer after this first year and would have taught most of what he has to impart on the group. I'm asking you if you share this opinion.

I've seen enough misinterpreting others' words here to last a lifetime. If you show me the comments I'll see if I have an opinion. I don't know who or what you're referring to and I don't know the context so I don't feel able to answer your question sorry. Why do you ask me that when it's not a discussion I've been involved in anyway? If I had an opinion I wanted to share I probably would have responded when/if I read the comments.

Dyer Disciple said:
Yes but you were stating how "amused" you were at posters who posted years ago with reference to backing Wallace

I must clarify that I was having a bit of fun about btoz who was pointing out majority vote and numbers on this thread but he was in the majority get Wallace camp too. And yes as you highlighted I was amused.

rosy23 said:
I must clarify that I was having a bit of fun about btoz who was pointing out majority vote and numbers on this thread but he was in the majority get Wallace camp too. And yes as you highlighted I was amused.

Aww Rosy :love :p

rosy23 said:

Was he a Wallet fan? Interesting.

Interesting too that he thinks this tread is 'bin' yet continues to contribute. ;)

rosy23 said:
Oi careful there btoz. :-* :hearton :-* My husband might read this. :police: :blah

I wont tell your husband as long as you dont tell my wife :-X :hearton :p

LOL :rofl :eek:

Rosy you absolute star! Picking out a post from 2004, where do you find the time? Amazing. Maybe it was that day you spent 2 hours looking at my profile, I bet you have got a few more rippers lined up for me......looks like I am in the gun next! Boy oh Boy! :police: :hihi

Just on both points, first off I was fooled by Wallace, as most were, I still believe Schulz could have been a star with the right coaching, obviously my mistake was the coaching side of things, not necessarily Schulz. We have witnessed what a mess development wise Wallace and Royal were. Intangibles it hurts you everytime. I guess my predictions of Cousins playing for a further three years is just as bad as people predicting it would be better to trade him for a second rounder? Predictions they are all around us. Makes footy interesting, no one knows what will happen next! :hihi

Anyway, I stand by predictions with Cousins based on the facts I have at my disposal, which include talk from inside the club and by knowing the right people. Also by attending both Coburg games and every Richmond games. It helps get a better understanding of the club and everything that goes on in it. Just because you are guessing most points Rosy, doesn't mean you can ridicule others predictions.

Tigers of Old said:
Was he a Wallet fan? Interesting.

Interesting too that he thinks this tread is 'bin' yet continues to contribute. ;)

TOO I never said to bin this thread.
Im the one doing the % and page updates.
Its Cuz's 250th game this week. :clap :clap :clap :clap
Im hoping thisthread reaches 250 pages by Sunday. Just keep posting people
You can do it! ;)

Tigerbob said:
Rosy you absolute star! Picking out a post from 2004, where do you find the time? Amazing. Maybe it was that day you spent 2 hours looking at my profile, I bet you have got a few more rippers lined up for me......looks like I am in the gun next! Boy oh Boy!

Got tickets on yourself or what Bob. As if I'd spend 2 hours reading your profile...I'm busy with btoz's. :rofl

rosy23 said:
Got tickets on yourself or what Bob. As if I'd spend 2 hours reading your profile...I'm busy with btoz's. :rofl

Back at ya 8) :hearton :eek: :p

I still wonder what the sole purpose of this thread was.

(a) get rid of Cousins.

(b) get a 2nd round pick.

If it was (b), then why trade Cousins and not Brown?

Tigerbob said:
Anyway, I stand by predictions with Cousins based on the facts I have at my disposal, which include talk from inside the club and by knowing the right people. Also by attending both Coburg games and every Richmond games. It helps get a better understanding of the club and everything that goes on in it. Just because you are guessing most points Rosy, doesn't mean you can ridicule others predictions.

Well said Bobby. Something that people who can't / don't attend training and live games still can't grasp.