Trading Cousins? - Poll. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trading Cousins? - Poll.

Would you trade Cousins for a 2nd round draft pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tiger74 said:
I'm looking at this from a perspective of what would I pay for these players. Cuz I'm likely to get a year. I wouldn't pay 2nd (which is why I would take it if offered), but if he's fit I'll get something. Brown is getting injuries too, but is lacking pace when fit, and his old brilliance is fading. Its a gamble to think he'll get it back, so any pick I trade would be one my speculative picks. As such, very VERY late ND pick, or PSD. Still think he's shot though, so I wouldn't say yes if its my call.

Solid & sensible post.

TigerForce said:
Sit back and enjoy the Benny Cousins music Oldie.

I'm enjoying watching him play. I always have.
That's not got little to do with this gist of this thread.

TigerForce said:
In summary, Brown wants finals, whereas Cuz doesn't. So I think Brown would be a better offer to join a team bound for a possible flag.

C'mon TF, I thought PRE was rid of this sort of nonsense after Redford's banning. I don't profess to know Cousins personally, but I just have a tiny inkling he would like to play finals.

jb03 said:
C'mon TF, I thought PRE was rid of this sort of nonsense after Redford's banning. I don't profess to know Cousins personally, but I just have a tiny inkling he would like to play finals.
Heh heh.....jb had to remind PRE that Redmond's been banned. How is the fugitive by the way? ;D

In general, any player would want to, but the way I see it is, that if Cuz's only want to return to footy was to play finals, he wouldn't have accepted us picking him.

As Pies & Saints are more finals bound than us, he would've hung his boots after they rejected him. He never mentioned he wants to play finals as Brown did when he joined us. Cuz just wants to keep his low profile and just play footy. He's offered way more than what Brown has as far as leadership and mentoring goes.

Brown only came to us because he thought Wallace would finally bring a big club like ours (big supporter base, large crowds at the G, high profile in media) to the finals. Brown just wants to show off and play his own game. He's never being a team player. Cuz is a team player.

Brown still has the skill to kick goals for other teams, whereas Cuz is just getting back to match fitness. He's not winning games for us, so I can't see what worth he'd be to flag / finals bound team when they already have the cattle.

I think there were a couple of references which is why I asked you myself about it pages back. This is the main one I noted. I must admit I got the same impression as TF as a result of this post, apologies if I misinterpreted.

Disco08 said:
How do you know how long it takes to impart one's full wealth of Aussie Rules knowledge? It's a sport, not Micro-seismology. So while he may not be able to impart it all in one year, I reckon it's pretty clear that he can impart a fair bit of it. How can you be so certain that what's left to teach is so much more valuable than a second round pick? Can you quantify the value at all? Would you turn down Cousins for Rich just like Livers for example?

Something in that is saying or implying that the players will forget everything they're taught as soon as Cousins leaves?

Disco08 said:
Something in that is saying or implying that the players will forget everything they're taught as soon as Cousins leaves?

Nope you are quite right, I'm getting confused. As offered earlier, foremost apologies. It's others who have used the WCE example of his legacy/influence being over rated.

You've actually been on the opposite and stated they would retain what they had learned, you've merely been seriously questioning if he has anything more substantial to teach. That is where we come to a difference of opinion or experiences. I think you are undervaluing how much wealth of knowledge Cousins has to offer and possibly not taking into account the unique circumstances that have hampered this a little initially.

Disco08 said:

Sorry Disco, my mistake. With all the mayhem around this thread I thought you were the one who mentioned it.

Tiger74 said:
not sure why the players liking you is a factor in list management....

Yes, he's adding value NOW. What about in 2 years though when he is likely to be gone? Then his contribution is a memory

This article says it all. He's been a great asset for our kids this season and I reckon will boost our skill level and decision making during pre-season. I hope he plays on next season as we keep rebuilding under a new coach.

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=37703.msg1002928#new

Dyer Disciple said:
You've actually been on the opposite and stated they would retain what they had learned, you've merely been seriously questioning if he has anything more substantial to teach. That is where we come to a difference of opinion or experiences. I think you are undervaluing how much wealth of knowledge Cousins has to offer and possibly not taking into account the unique circumstances that have hampered this a little initially.

That's what the whole argument boils down to as I've said. Is the sum of what Cousins has left to teach the playing group too important to give up for the chance to pick up a quality junior. Both halves of the equation or obviously impossible to quantify to really there can only opinion and conjecture. This is why I can't see how some people can be so dismissive of the point of view they disagree with.

Disco08 said:
That's what the whole argument boils down to as I've said. Is the sum of what Cousins has left to teach the playing group too important to give up for the chance to pick up a quality junior. Both halves of the equation or obviously impossible to quantify to really there can only opinion and conjecture. This is why I can't see how some people can be so dismissive of the point of view they disagree with.

If we knew who this 2nd round pick was and what skills & attributes he has, then the votes would be more balanced.

I'm not dismissive on trading for a 2nd round pick, but my view is that Cuz is important for our kids now. I'd use other tactics and trade Brown or other players. If Cuz played laconically as Brown has, then I'd trade him for sure.

Disco08 said:

Agree, but it's working two ways in the for and against camps and once that happens it spreads like wildfire :hihi.

The minute I see a Cousins thread I know it is going to to have a lot of conjecture/angst, even more than the average, as Cousins polarizes so many people. Hence his appeal or lack of it to many.

I also think some people just adamantly state an opinion or strongly do so and other people get precious about it being opposed to theirs too sometimes. It's a mix of a lot of things. Nothing dark and sinister or even serious for the most part. At least not on my side of the fence.

You've also got people with different experiences/knowledge which can either enlighten them more or mislead them more. All grain of salt stuff and the debate makes good reading, hence the rigourous posting from a simple hypothetical question.

It's all Toohey's fault he started this! >:D :hihi

(Actually was a great question I thought even if I am in the against column).

Dyer Disciple said:
Agree, but it's working two ways in the for and against camps and once that happens it spreads like wildfire :hihi.

The minute I see a Cousins thread I know it is going to to have a lot of conjecture/angst, even more than the average, as Cousins polarizes so many people. Hence his appeal or lack of it to many.

I also think some people just adamantly state an opinion or strongly do so and other people get precious about it being opposed to theirs too sometimes. It's a mix of a lot of things. Nothing dark and sinister or even serious for the most part. At least not on my side of the fence.

You've also got people with different experiences/knowledge which can either enlighten them more or mislead them more. All grain of salt stuff and the debate makes good reading, hence the rigourous posting from a simple hypothetical question.

It's all Toohey's fault he started this! >:D :hihi

(Actually was a great question I thought even if I am in the against column).

This thread would've been better for summer when it's boring. ;D

interesting interview with Cousins by Mark Robinson today.

I'll post the full article on the journo thread, but I found this particularly interesting (on this basis I am switching my vote - sorry TOO :)):

You said you were in a happy space. How has Melbourne helped that? What do you do outside footy?

Melbourne has been very good for that, but I attribute a lot of that to moving to a new city, starting a new job, just being able to move on, go forward, and I wasn't afforded that opportunity last year.

Last year I was a gypsy, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney. I was living out of a suitcase for 12 months and I was in no position to look further ahead than next week.

Is Melbourne home?

Yep. I'd love to explore the opportunities post-footy here.

Can you live without footy?

I don't know.

Does coaching in some capacity interest you?

If you asked me that question in any year at my time at West Coast, I would have said straight up no.

But I couldn't give you that answer now. I don't know if that's a yes, but in some form I'd like to think I could have some involvement in footy, whether it be coaching the under-12s or whatever.

I've had conversations with Kane Johnson about it. He finished this year in a transitional role and I think he will be fantastic at it.

When footy is taken away from you, there's a void in your life and I will find out how important footy is.