Tigers vs Bloose Gameday thread rnd 16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers vs Bloose Gameday thread rnd 16

Some here need a reality check thinking our kids can play 4 quarters and maintain it. We're in rejuvenation expect good patches in games now. No excuses for our senior players through.

Graham and Short liabilities nothing has changed see you later.

Sort out the fitness and conditioning we can't run out games to.

Reactions: 1 users
The season is well and truly gone so rest all those experienced players who are either living on past glories or not fit and bring in more of the kids to give then experience, see what they have and let them fight for their career. Sure we will continue to get hammers but it is happening anyway so we have little to lose

My criticism of the current Richmond side does not fall entirely on the players - with a few exceptions where a couple of the former premiership players are coasting along which is unacceptable.

My criticism of this current mess falls squarely on the entire football department up to the end of 2023.

It falls on senior administrators of the club that became too focused on career changes and media hype about perceived changes of their individual careers, while still pulling good Tiger money.

The members, the Tiger fans and sponsors have been let down by those that clearly didn’t have a revamped vision for the future post 2020, and what was required to refit and reboot a side showing its age by looking around the AFL landscape to watch who were the movers and shakers on and off the field at other clubs moving into top four, premiership contention.

For four long years Richmond coaches and administrators pursued a patch it as we go along with some seriously speculative trades (thanks Hardwick!) believing all was well, while good people, including the next generation of coaches were leaving the club.

It will take courage and a new vision within Richmond to raise this shipwreck.

The band aide players brought in and have been part of the system for a few years now are expendable as are some of the experienced players who are just going through the motions. Trade or delist.

The few players brought in under the new coaching regime this year are looking like footballers from the get go. A big positive and bodes well for the future.

The off season at Tigerland has to be decisive, with a clear eye for the future as the side rebuilds. Picks have to be nailed. I’m looking forward to the trade period.

And a bit of hard ball played in the trade clinches wouldn’t do any harm either!
💯 agree just like people blaming only Meehan look at the bigger picture Livingstone ,Blair and Gale running the footy department.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, cold Sunday arvo at the 'G with a bit of rain and a loss.

We were outclassed. Not outclassed by a rising Carlton, they have risen, no longer in the past tense. Carlton should be worried about letting Richmond kick 10 goals though, better teams will be able to score a lot more.

What frustrates me at the moment is not the effort. I think a lot of people think players are just standing around when they are too far from the opposition player to make a difference, if you are watching on TV it flattens the perspective.

No, what frustrates me is the lack of movement and the lack of providing an outlet. Carlton, along with any good team, have movement and outlets. I saw a fair number of marks in their forward line which were undefendable, why? Because a tall forward had run towards the ball and jumped, defenders are screwed in that situation. But I recall a very typical situation in our forward line. Player had the ball in the pocket just over 50m out. Kicks to a pack near the behind post. The pack was massive as everyone knew that was where the ball was going. Where were the spare players maybe 35m out in space? Where was a forward leading? Nowhere to be seen. Even if the ball still gets kicked to the pack, the pack would be much smaller because you are separating the defenders. Kosi took a couple of good pack marks and good on him, but that is a low percentage play and not the best way to set up.

Carlton players were on the move when receiving, they were 20-30m off the contest providing an outlet. We don't do that and I can't work out why not.

I generally notice teams rather than players. But I noticed Blight. Big bloke with a big build. Was very red faced at times as the step up to AFL is a big step up. But he was very competitive in the air and would spoil or even mark the ball. Excellent debut, he should be a player we can rely on for years once he build a bit more of a tank. Seemed to find himself in the right places to impact the contest so must be reading the game well enough, that should improve with experience.

It is going to be a difficult few years as we hopefully get in some quality youth. Need players in the centre and some tall forwards. Although Kosi might be a chance if he can play like that more often.

A few players I do think need to go - Graham is not suited to the way the game is played at the moment. While I don't like the idea of letting Shai go he is one of those players who shines when those around him are taking up any slack, plus his set shot kicking is simply woeful. Baker I would like to keep but it really is up to him. Sonsie is a work in progress, but not progressing as much as he needs to, ball is in his court.

Some players need to stay - Miller is getting better, he is solid. Yes, needs a little more agro but has definitely stepped up. Ralphsmith gets involved, has a fair bit of room to improve, let's hope he can.

We are where we are. If we had won 1 flag it would be a bit of a waste to go so far down the ladder. We won 3 flags so it is predictable and the hard work towards the next period of contending has started, but so much to do.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I was thinking it's best he retires at end of season, but looking at him now, it's probably best now. Grimo's just about there.
I can't stomach this *smile*. He's playing injured, that and probably an associated form slump, but people want to sack him and kick his arse on the way out the door. Shame on you.

Just dtop graham ffs and trade him out..out of positiom all day and just plods around in no mans lafs.
Trade out bolton ..embarrasing how such and average player gets so highly rrated.he isnt 1/3 the player walsh and cripps are..never ever ever ever runs hard as mids sprint away from him.

Reactions: 2 users
I see that as reality rather than an excuse. I actually thought we did OK, they were hot.
No it’s an excuse if we averaged 21 years and 25 games. And they averaged 25 and 100 games.
Which we weren’t and neither were they. Refer to the ages and games experience in my previous post

Some of our senior players were oh so poor. That was the difference. We stayed with them for 2 1/2 quarters, went to sleep, bludged in the centre when Walsh had time to have a cup of tea and a scone, then picked the ball up and drove it forward on numerous occasions
That happened far too often. Then Cripps joined in. Where were their opponents?

A few *smile* and lucky goals in the last flattered them.
But we had too many bludgers in the latter half of the game. The backline was inundated and then we’re fatigued and they made some mistakes. But they worked their arses off all game.

I can't stomach this *smile*. He's playing injured, that and probably an associated form slump, but people want to sack him and kick his arse on the way out the door. Shame on you.
Can't you see Duz is cooked??? What's the point playing if injuries re-occur.

Reactions: 2 users
No it’s an excuse if we averaged 21 years and 25 games. And they averaged 25 and 100 games.
Which we weren’t and neither were they. Refer to the ages and games experience in my previous post

Some of our senior players were oh so poor. That was the difference. We stayed with them for 2 1/2 quarters, went to sleep, bludged in the centre when Walsh had time to have a cup of tea and a scone, then picked the ball up and drove it forward on numerous occasions
That happened far too often. Then Cripps joined in. Where were their opponents?

A few *smile* and lucky goals in the last flattered them.
But we had too many bludgers in the latter half of the game. The backline was inundated and then we’re fatigued and they made some mistakes. But they worked their arses off all game.
I could not give a stuff about your age profiles. Its irrelevant. They are in the flag window, we aren't. Their powerhouse players are all in their prime, ours are past their prime or recently retired.

Can't you see Duz is cooked??? What's the point playing if injuries re-occur.
If ever there was a player who should be cut some slack to get his body right, work through a slump, whatever, It is dusty FFS. He was robbed of AA LAST SEASON. Its not like he's been on some long slide. People have no respect no perspective, and memories of goldfish.

Reactions: 3 users
If ever there was a player who should be cut some slack to get his body right, work through a slump, whatever, It is dusty FFS. He was robbed of AA LAST SEASON. Its not like he's been on some long slide. People have no respect no perspective, and memories of goldfish.
How many times have we seen this??? Wake up Snake.

Might be just me but I still don't see what our game plan is. What we are trying to do apart from hugging the boundary line at every opportunity
When we dare to go quick we never have foward options.
What has Yze done in 6 weeks to stop the Def/intercept marks we are copping??

Just got back from the game. Poor crowd.

Thought we sorta tried hard. Thought Blight and Miller were very good on Curnow and McKay. But we got totally smashed by their smaller players in our backline. Fantasia, Fogarty, Cincotta, Owies, Williams and Hollands kicked 12 of their 20. Short, Rioli, Vlaus and to a lesser extent Broad, had bad bad days defensively.

And then the turnovers. FMD. We were 6 points down in the 3rd quarter and getting a lot of the football and then a plethora of turnovers just changed the game entirely.

We just butcher it.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Seen what? I don't know, How many? Dusty will have to play a lot worse for a lot longer before I'll be calling for him to think retirement. Show some respect.
He keeps getting small injuries. First time he was subbed since it all started. Signs are there. The end is nigh and we need to make space for kids. Do you seriously think he can play another 2 - 3 years?

I could not give a stuff about your age profiles. Its irrelevant. They are in the flag window, we aren't. Their powerhouse players are all in their prime, ours are past their prime or recently retired.
Of course you couldn’t. But it’s funny when people try to use it as an excuse. Which is exactly what I stated.

We’re so young, so inexperienced, we’re playing all the kids. Age and experience profile shows that to be *smile*.

If their better players are playing better than ours, that’s the problem right there.

We fielded some fairly handy players. Out of form, injured or had a day off?

We’ve still had Hopper, Taranto, Baker, Bolton, Vlaustin, Broad, Nankervis, McIntosh, Rioli, Balta, Short , Graham and Martin on the field
There is more than half pf the team right there. So it’s not irrelevant.

He keeps getting small injuries. First time he was subbed since it all started. Signs are there. The end is nigh and we need to make space for kids. Do you seriously think he can play another 2 - 3 years?
I really hope he plays at least one more, preferably 2. But of course he only does that if want to, if he's fit and want's to mentor the next gen. But for me, thats the ideal scenario. But footy often doesn't deliver the ideal scenario.

Our youth were very disappointing… again.

Won’t be any shortage of excuses made for them around here but the reality is they are bad, really bad.

Long, painful road ahead.