Tigers vs Bloose Gameday thread rnd 16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers vs Bloose Gameday thread rnd 16

Don't quite understand why some are rabbiting on about how we matched Carlscum for a couple of qtrs on Sun. 6.2 to 7.8 at half time. The only reason we looked like being close was because they didn't kick straight early in the game. Apart from a bit of finishing accuracy they kicked our arses for most of the first half n then just simply stomped us under foot in the second half.

That’s up to you

I never mentioned our list. That’s twice you’ve said that.
I refuted some posters saying how young and inexperienced our team was. I demonstrated there wasn’t that much difference going by age and games played.
Funny how we could match them for 2 1/2 quarters then go to sleep or not be bothered chasing. It wasn’t fatigue, it wasn’t just the “kids” “lower draft picks” or “a couple of games experience between a couple of players”., is what I was saying. What about all the other players on the field.

Not much between the two teams. I already showed that

Oh early draft picks in their prime now. Or their midfield worked harder, ran both ways in the 3rd qtr in particular. While ours spectated, never manned up or closed down space.
You don’t need to be an early draft pick to do that. It’s called accountability.

Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Rioli, Vlaustin, Baker, Martin, Balta. Not a bad start

I get that. But we didn’t lose because of our “kids” is what I’m saying and what I said to start with.

It was all the players across all age groups. Not because of age or inexperience.

Look at the game stats of some of the senior players. The lack of accountability. The lack of pressure. The lack of tackling.
That had nothing to do with where a player is drafted, or how old he is.
So spot on.

Easy to blame the kids getting games, not up to it da da da da. and yes some have not done a lot but they show signs.
Our problem for so many reasons is the failure of too many 23 or 24 year olds thru 28 to step up and fill the void as the vets fall by the way side.

Its four years, yes four years people. since our last flag. Still we cling to those who are no longer the answer, some of whom have become greats of the club but are shot. Its not their fault ,they have done their bit its not them its that tier below.

We are in trouble not because of the kids or the vets yes there are some older ones who need to retire and we have our share of kids who may not make it. The trouble is our mid tier should now be leading from the front but cannot fill the void. This has been obvious for ages.

As for age and experience. I would guess our age profile most games is still very good.
How many kids are we actually playing each week? You would think over half the team the way it is spoken about.

We had just 6 players aged 22 and under. Just two teenagers Campbell and McAuliffe. One 20 yr old Brown, 21 year olds in Sonsie the other was a sub Banks. 16 players were 24 or older.
The age profile is not the problem not of the team on sunday.
Even a contending team wants some 19 to 22 yr olds in their team. Succession planning is a term that comes to mind.

I would have thought 6 or 7 19 thru 22 yr olds is ideal for us atm. A team in REBUILD. There is no shortage of mature players around them. Is this not what we are after or are we in 2024 aiming for flags still.

Its a good balance of vets kids and mid tier but its the mid tier that is the problem.
The vets can no longer do what they once did and the kids are inexperienced some won't make it.

Reactions: 2 users
So spot on.

Easy to blame the kids getting games, not up to it da da da da. and yes some have not done a lot but they show signs.
Our problem for so many reasons is the failure of too many 23 or 24 year olds thru 28 to step up and fill the void as the vets fall by the way side.

Its four years, yes four years people. since our last flag. Still we cling to those who are no longer the answer, some of whom have become greats of the club but are shot. Its not their fault ,they have done their bit its not them its that tier below.

We are in trouble not because of the kids or the vets yes there are some older ones who need to retire and we have our share of kids who may not make it. The trouble is our mid tier should now be leading from the front but cannot fill the void. This has been obvious for ages.

As for age and experience. I would guess our age profile most games is still very good.
How many kids are we actually playing each week? You would think over half the team the way it is spoken about.

We had just 6 players aged 22 and under. Just two teenagers Campbell and McAuliffe. One 20 yr old Brown, 21 year olds in Sonsie the other was a sub Banks. 16 players were 24 or older.
Even a contending team wants some 19 to 22 yr olds in their team. Succession planning is a term that comes to mind.

I would have thought 6 or 7 19 thru 22 yr olds is ideal for us atm. A team in REBUILD. There is no shortage of mature players around them. Is this not what we are after or are we in 2024 aiming for flags still.

Its a good balance of vets kids and mid tier but its the mid tier that is the problem.
The vets can no longer do what they once did and the kids are inexperienced some won't make it.
*smile*. The facts are we have had a steady phasing out of premiership players, and that will continue. Sure there's one or two who are injury prone or may have played a year too long, but that is true for any list and any club if you care to look, thats just footy. There is no 'clinging'. You can't just sack you entire list once your team's performance drops after winning flag. If we hadn't had the steady phase out, you'd have a point.

On the one hand you say 'we had just 6 players under 22' (there is no 'just', it is a lot by any measure if you care to look and compare), and on the other hand you say 'I would have thought 6 or 7 19 to 22yo' (based on what we don't know, the vibe I suppose). Which is it? Not enough or enough? and based on what?

Reactions: 1 users
So spot on.

Geez there's a *smile* load of Wah n not much rational logic going on here.
Apart from the fact that there's a fair few of our triple premiership heroes slowly fading in performance as happens sometimes. The massive injury issues and playing of a raft of inexperienced youngsters, topped up by trying to upgrade the game plan causes massive disruption to the instinctive player connectivity during passages of play.
Oooh but it's all our 23 to 28 year olds that have failed to step up n take over the game as our old blokes fade out. Hmmmm. Had a bit of a sniff through our list n obviously the age profile gets put up at the start of the year so some blokes may have had a birthday in the ensuing months from pre season.
Jack Ross 23. Pick 43 out injured most of the year.
Liam Baker 26. Rookie pick been playing his usual shake n bake footy all year.
Tim Taranto 26. Pick 2 missed half a dozen weeks with a busted arm but solid when he's been playing.
Jayden Short 28. Rookie pick been playing his usual footy style all year, not quite as effective as usual.
Dan Rioli 27. Pick 15 been playing fairly consistent quality footy all year, might have been sat on a couple of games.
Jacob Koschitzke 23. Pick 52 new to the club n struggled a bit to start with, but starting to play a role.
Noah Balta 24. Pick 25 we need bloody three of him, been playing well for us.
Jacob Hopper 27. Pick 7 constant injury issues but has been decent when on the park.
Matt Couthard 23. Mid season draft pick, injured over pre season start of the year n struggling at VFL
Thommy Dow 22. Pick 21 had a heap of game pushed into him due to injury issues, struggling to play as a premium mid.
Shai Bolton 25. Pick 29 got premium capability but also flaky and inconsistent performance levels.
Rhyan Mansell 24. Pre season supplemental pick, honest hard working but limited player.
Samson Ryan 23. Pick 40 slowly perhaps stagnant developing ruck now also injured.
Jack Graham 26. Pick 53 another who's been struggling with injury issues all year.
Noah Cumberland 23. Pick 43 flaky n inconsistent talent creative when on invisible when not.
Mykelti Lefau 26. Pre season supplemental pick. Swap over from Rugby League out injured with a knee reco, but exciting prospect in the few games he played
Jacob Bauer 22. Mid season draft pick, injury issues most of the year but still an interesting prospect.
Tylar Young 25. Rookie draft pick, big year last year. Shoulder surgery over pre season, struggled this year and out injured for the year.
Ben Miller 24. Pick 63 and a slow burn project, has taken massive steps this year.

Not a real lot of premium pick talent to start with from the core age group of our list. Been heaps of injury issues making things inconsistent.

Got told about a young lad who cleaned up $7000 after backing Fantasia for four goals. Not bad.

Tiger defenders won the Curnow and McKay battle (wasn't a day conducive to tall forwards but credit where it's due). But the pleasing part was others stepping up for goals - including Fantasia doing something to justify his spot for a change.

First time since 2012 we've beaten Richmond twice in the home-and-away season, too. Long time between drinks.