The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

We’ve always decreed footy has one success. Winning the flag. But more and more “the media” are changing the narrative that a winning season (yes, another Americanism) should be more celebrated. And of course making finals and a prelim as well.

Personally I’ll stick with winning the flag as being the yardstick.
Agree - Who finished 3rd in 2012? or 2017? Or 2019?

Who *smile* cares.

Flags or nothing.

Reactions: 12 users
We’ve always decreed footy has one success. Winning the flag. But more and more “the media” are changing the narrative that a winning season (yes, another Americanism) should be more celebrated. And of course making finals and a prelim as well.

Personally I’ll stick with winning the flag as being the yardstick.
Winners are grinners and the rest can please themselves.

Reactions: 5 users
Phewwwwww Danger got off , would have hated for him to have missed the GF
What happened to the 'perfect' preparation?
All week we heard how Geelong had the perfect system and their players were at 100% in September.
I think that died in the Ass on satedey night.
Little Danger did he is usual disappearing act when they started to sink.
Duncan was worse then Boak.
And playing Stanley in front of the Viking is embarrassing.

**wake up Blair 8yrs 1.4 mil blow them up down there

Reactions: 2 users
So Teflon boy, the media darling, he that can do no wrong...... once again gets off from reportable acts during a final. Dangerflog is a sniper but seemingly loved by media and AFL.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Ffs...morning shows just bleating excuses for Geelong. Unreal. The media darlings of the AFL.

They blew a 25 point lead !

Reactions: 7 users
We like the Lions ...................................... (just at this moment)

......................................... boy do we like the Lions :LOL::):):LOL:;)

some thing good to come out of season 2024

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Talk about excuses - did they miss any……

COVID - a couple of support staff…….:rotfl2

Gastro - possibly one player……….:rotfl2

Hamstring to one player - (don’t mention the dislocated shoulder)……….:rotfl2

Dangerflop - had sore ribs so has an excuse for turning out one of his typical second half finals game……:rotfl2

They were missing a couple of geratrics so were playing kids……….:rotfl2

Lost it at selection ……..:rotfl2

Can someone please explain to them that there are 2 teams playing so normally what happens is one team is better than the other and therefore scores more points ffs and wins the game.

But he didn’t want them to be seen as excuses. “please don’t think I am using this as an excuse” says Scotty boy. By saying so, is doing exactly that.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
No surprises but Whateley is going the "Geelong so brave" route. Unlucky.

Maybe we should all text in to his show with:

Geelong. Media darlings as always.

But he didn’t want them to be seen as excuses. “please don’t think I am using this as an excuse” says Scotty boy. By saying so, is doing exactly that.
Made the same excuse in 2021 when they were bundled out of the finals, and said EXACTLY the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Leigh Matthews making excuses for them too, apparently the pre finals bye was the reason.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Geez it's infuriating. You can 110% guarantee that any other side in the AFL would be getting the ruler run over them after a 35 point turnaround in a Prelim. But not Geelong. Instead, it's any amount of excuses and being "brave" and "gee wasn't it a great game" all in an attempt to deflect from any critical analysis of Geelong and Scott.

That Brisbane side had been pretty average for a lot of the year. They had multiple missing players with injuries, were on the road and lost their ruckman during the game. Geelong had next to zero injuries and were, during the week, the favourites. Then they bottle up a 35 point turnaround. Dangerfield and Duncan make critical errors. The Geelong backline gets overrun in the second half by the Brisbane smalls. Rhys Stanley. And so on....

But nobody wants to talk about any of that. It's all "Geelong so brave" and excuses. Whateley, Dwayne Russell, Josh Barnes, Selwood, Ling, Bartel, that salty ahole Josh Jenkins....there's just too many of them in the media controlling the narrative where Geelong is concerned.

That was a game Geelong should have put away. But didn't. And none of them want to dissect it like they would with anyone else.

Geez I hate the corrupted AFL media and Geelong. When we rise again, the one club I want us to crush the most is Geelong.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
Made the same excuse in 2021 when they were bundled out of the finals, and said EXACTLY the same thing.
Just had mentioned the above to a mate. Excuses, Excuses, Excuses. The sooner these Scots are out of Afl, media etc the better my life will be (if I'm around that long being on wrong side of 75) but surely my one big wish can be delivered)

• Love