Team vs Essendon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team vs Essendon

Just heard Fletcher takes over the 2nd spot (S Madden 1st) from *smile* Reynolds as games played for the Bummers.

Admittedly, he was one player I never thought would succeed a long term at the club.

evo said:
Not sure why people can't understand the importance of structure.

Gus showed plenty more up forward than Polak who had them bouncing off his chest.
His goal kicking is also woeful. Clock is ticking for a player not rightly seen as part of going forward.

Happy to play Astbury ahead of Polak if he is showing form. If it was at the expense of say Simmonds, different story. I am just glad the Tigers are looking to get as many games as possible (within reason) into the youngsters.

Tigers of Old said:
Gus showed plenty more up forward than Polak who had them bouncing off his chest.
His goal kicking is also woeful. Clock is ticking for a player not rightly seen as part of going forward.

Yes but having the three talls allowed Polak to give a chop out in the ruck and Gus to play more forward. The presence of either those guys in the fwd 50 gives Jack an important chop out. Not part of our future yes, but structure looked much better last week than all season. Astbury shows promise but opposition can play small on him at this stage. Rance plays small also but they must like his pressure or something.

Daigoro said:
Yes but having the three talls allowed Polak to give a chop out in the ruck and Gus to play more forward. The presence of either those guys in the fwd 50 gives Jack an important chop out. Not part of our future yes, but structure looked much better last week than all season. Astbury shows promise but opposition can play small on him at this stage. Rance plays small also but they must like his pressure or something.

The second ruckman for Essendon is about 200cm tall and jumps about 2 meters, whereas Polak could compete with the likes of Skipper (193cm) and the Adelaide second ruckman and provide that chop out. I don't think Polak at 194cm would even be able to compete with Ryder or Hille so the match committee maybe looked at alternatives.

My thinking is that Astbury comes as he is looked at as a better option from half forward and converting goals, and Gus and Vickery will have to compete with Hille and Ryder.

fair enough polo wasnt picked. was undisciplined what he did, and he should earn his spot back in the team.
in saying that, i would have in the team ahead of a few guys thats for sure!.

To answer my own question, I think Astbury is probably in to help out back if needed with Ryder Hille and Gumbleton down there.

I thought they might rest Vickery and run Polak and Graham through the ruck. They've kept Tyrone and rested Polly. Fair enough really. Should really have dropped Rance but the kids 21 , is contracted thrugh 2011 and a second round pick. Plus they need to find out if he can play. He actually does make some contributions as a forward. Will continue to cost us games though.

King should actually be playing half forward. He is dominating in that position at Coburg, possessions, defensive pressure and lots of shots on goals. King will probably play on Watson.

I hope they make a few decisions at the mid season break which might mean replacments for Mcguane and Rance.

lamb22 said:
King should actually be playing half forward. He is dominating in that position at Coburg, possessions, defensive pressure and lots of shots on goals. King will probably play on Watson.

I saw King last week at Coburg and thought he did extremely well, given that he was asked to play at full forward late in the game. I would suggest that he is in the team to accompany Dempsey whenever he tries to waltz the ball out of defence.

TOT70 said:
I saw King last week at Coburg and thought he did extremely well, given that he was asked to play at full forward late in the game. I would suggest that he is in the team to accompany Dempsey whenever he tries to waltz the ball out of defence.

Hope so. but why is Rance there then?

Better to get games into Astubry who will eventually be a Key Position forward or defender, then Polak who has had opporunites but as yet has failed to grasp them

Barnzy said:
Yes, as you can tell I'm not happy with King being included. I'm happy with losing constantly and getting flogged as long as we're playing the kids. This guy is a dud, has never been good enough and never will be good enough. Not happy DH!

My guess is that Hardwick is trying to get the players' complete trust.

If you play well at Coburg and do the right things, you will get a game.

Daigoro said:
Not part of our future yes, but structure looked much better last week than all season.

Astbury comes in as some compensation.
Personally felt Polak gave us very little last week and was not a key reason for our improved performance.

Tigers of Old said:
Astbury comes in as some compensation.
Personally felt Polak gave us very little last week and was not a key reason for our improved performance.

Coaches are thinking long term. Astbury missed all games as back up for the firsts so he probably needs a game (coburg not playing) more than Tiges need him.

Good management and development I think. Same thinking with Rance although little prospect for success IMO.

Danog said:
Dempsey is pathetic. King could have a very good game on him.

Pathetic? I think he is a ripper. One of us is very wrong.

He is excellent in traffic, reads it very well, disposes well - pathetic?

ZeroGame said:

Normally i would agree with you, but... his last couple of games have shown some real signs of football maturity - i mean solely the footy part, not the stupidity part.

I have never been a real fan, but he is playing his best footy since he has been here and is in our best 22 on his last 2 games

Merveille said:
Pathetic? I think he is a ripper. One of us is very wrong.

He is excellent in traffic, reads it very well, disposes well - pathetic?

you are both wrong, he is a good average player