Standard of Umpiring? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Standard of Umpiring?

Fighting Fury said:
yeah. That non decision was unbelievable. Was it Polo on the mark? Cornes might be in trouble for the charge on Morton and Pearce for punching Hyde in the guts.

Don't be silly, they are only Richmond players ;D
WesternTiger said:
Did anyone see the hit on Bowden?

I think it was Ebert and it was a hip and shoulder to his head. No free. Might get looked at.

there was nothing in it, it was a shirt front in play and not at Bowdens head!! Fair Hit IMO

WesternTiger said:
Did anyone see the hit on Bowden?

I think it was Ebert and it was a hip and shoulder to his head. No free. Might get looked at.
I think it was Thomas WT. Jumped off the ground and made high contact to JBs face, dropped him.
Got him with his shoulder but I thought these type of plays will attract some attention. Not much malice in it tho'.

I reckon they bet on games.......at some stage in the future it'll be discovered....trust me. :-\

It's the inconsistency that bugs me. Browny gets tackled high and no free, then Patto has one of their guys run into him and the contact is completely accidental and that's a free that nets them a goal. If it's a free up one end, it's a free up the other. Goodes hit another one head high again today. He's a head hunter, but he won't go and it won't even be looked at. Bloody koala!

Tigers of Old said:
I am not one to usually complain against the umps but yesterday's performance was appalling.

I reckon the standard of umpiring this year generally has been pretty average. To many soft free kicks now influencing games.

I wander what those maggot Richmond hating bastards have in store for us today after the last 3 weeks of appalling umpiring?

The umpire was appalling today. One thing Sam Newman has got right is when he says the umpires have no understanding of the game. This was in full view today, tiggy touchwood frees for incidents with no effect on the game paid, other incidents with a major effect on the game not paid.

The 2 frees paid in the last quarter, to Cloke for holding the man and another holding the man free in the rich forward line both of which were not there, both led to goals which basically kickstarted the Carlton last quarter charge. Absolutely disgraceful stuff.

Just a handful of bad decisions today and they generally tried to let the game go. Would be reasonably satisfied with that standard of umpiring every week.

Now if there's a game I worry about when it comes to umpiring,it's the Bummers.

No more 50 metre penalties please you maggots.

Who was the muppet that paid the free against Tucky for throwing when he clearly smacked it with his hand? A 50 metre penalty and a goal, it's these types of decisions that can change the momentum of the game and the umpires have no right to be momentum changers.

Is this bloke getting dropped for that decision?

I read in the hun today that freo received 19 frees in the first quarter against the cats on the weekend. How is that possible, especially the way freo play?

umpiring was poor again on the weekend.

Tucky one was bad - how about the west coast gut running 30 metres through the middle without bouncing and setting up a goal.

Also Joel Bowden deliberate out of bounds setting up a goal for Wirrpanda.

5 goals from frees for West Coast

We were first to the ball all day and still no love from the umpires

BrisTiger24 said:
Who was the muppet that paid the free against Tucky for throwing when he clearly smacked it with his hand? A 50 metre penalty and a goal, it's these types of decisions that can change the momentum of the game and the umpires have no right to be momentum changers.

Is this bloke getting dropped for that decision?

It was a bad call, but I heard the ump was in his 6th game. I think that if we want the standard to improve, we can't cane umps for every bad decision especially early in their careers, they happen.

Agree that such decions do alter the course of the game, and I was spewing when it happened. I was just as angry with Tucky at the time though, because that type of handball (even though it worked) looked a bit extravagant at the stage of the game. It was low percentage IMO

Legends of 1980 said:
I read in the hun today that freo received 19 frees in the first quarter against the cats on the weekend. How is that possible, especially the way freo play?

Nah I watched that game and almost all of those frees were there IMO. Freo got to the Cats but most of it was legal (the odd illegal one was paid to Geelong) and just push and shove. But I'd say 90% of those 19 were there.

cam said:
Nah I watched that game and almost all of those frees were there IMO. Freo got to the Cats but most of it was legal (the odd illegal one was paid to Geelong) and just push and shove. But I'd say 90% of those 19 were there.

Fair enough.Didn't see the game, just seemed to be a highly unusual number.

I thought the umpiring in the Tiges-WCE was alright. Some went against us but we did get away with a few also (off the top of my head, Foley and Edwards throw..).

I'm sick of seeing holding the ball paid as in the back when the tackle brings the guy to his knees THEN he falls forward, happened with a Tambling tackle.

I know it's old news and we were rubbish against the Blues in the second half and ya cant blame the maggots for why we lost, but I thought there were 2 or 3 decisions made or not made in the last quarter when the game was up for grabs that really hurt us.
- Morton took a mark on the lead and the blue defender rode him into the ground with his knees and no 50, when earlier in the year if you tapped the bloke on the back after a mark it was 50. Coudl hear the Tiges crowd going nuts about that one.
- Then Cotchin tackled Carazzo on the corner of the square for about 5 minutes and the ball bobbed loose and went forward for them and I think Fev kicked a point and I couldnt believe it wasnt holding the ball.
- And the worst one was when we were about 6 or 7 points behind, 30 metres from our goal and Johnson tackled some scumbag who threw the ball out, propped on his knees and allowed Johno to push him into the ground and got a push in the back.....they took it down and kicked a goal, literally a 12 point turn around.....

I dont see much footy these days but I think those decisions helped take the wind out of our sails on the day....even though we were dire in the second half.....