Standard of Umpiring? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Standard of Umpiring?

Legends of 1980 said:
Umpiring was totally crap, nicholls was the worst of the lot. He seemed to be involved in every single decision in the 1st quarter. It's good to say that after we've won, not sound like a sore loser or excusing us :) . And we benefitted it a lot more than the dawks did too.

reckon he is taking goldspinks place i thought razor was at first but he seems to be a good one now i think razor will do finals i saw his work in blues v bombers and that was good umpiring [ few weeks ago] and he was reasonable last week in our game against the lions but nicholls horrid better not do finals !

Nicholls is a joke and represents exactly why people feel the need to hang it on umpires. Its a shame because some umps over time have been pretty good.

But softo nerds like him who try to make an impact and impose themselves on the game whilst belligerently missing the basics, just do the umpiring fraternity a complete disservice.

Then again, you have to ask yourself who's in charge of him, educating him etc.

1. chapman marks 55m out, feels contact coming (he dives forward) ing only just touches him as he was running full pelt (50m) Goal. umpire got it wrong so says foxtel, k rock

2. selwood, same thing (Goal) umpires got it wrong

3. Jake King bumps S.Johnson in the chest, Johnson throws his head back, umpire falls for it FREE and Goal----- all commentators say umpire made an error

4. Maguane hits the ball over the fence, I thought that rule was gone.........GET RID OF It (goal)

5. joel corey, gets a tackle, releases the ball mid way through tackle, jackson doesnt know as he is tackling from behind. But no, its a free and a 50m penalty (goal)----crap rule

That game was controlled totally by the umpires and i cant believe how much say they have on the game. An umpire is going to get hit soon by a player and its going to be a real shame...

It looked to me that Jackson and Maguane had that thought going through there mind at one stage and players had to drag them away.

bunnerz 26 played 200 games of amateur footy

Umpire Nicholls told Newy maybe 3 or 4 times "it's on the DVD".
Now if I was Newy, when Tucky was grabbed round the neck and not given a free, I'd have asked Nicholls if "head high tackles are on the DVD". Maybe ask him 3 or 4 times. Just for clarification.

I think with both the time wasting (haha) free in front of goal and the 50m penalty for holding back the opposition player, it is difficult to blame the umpires (as it is with the hands in the back rule). In the hands in the back and 50m rules, the umpires have been asked to adjudicate on decisions that are inherently impossible to consistently enforce. That is the problem. The umpires are only human and they see things differently amongst them and have split seconds to make decisions. As a result, some get missed and some are paid for conduct that is not in the spirit of the rule...there is a big gulf in between and it results in the frustration of supporters, players and coaches.

With the time wasting one, clearly the rule exists and, while it does, the umpires are required to impose it. It would be dangerous if the umpires took it upon themselves to ignore rules because they thought they we unjust or outdated...that's not their role.

What it boils down to is that it is Adrian Anderson and his rules committee kronies that are responsible for this crap and they should be fairly and squarely in the spotlight. That time wasting rule is antiquated, we all know that, why doesn't AA?? The other one's were subject to significant opposition by the clubs before they were brought in, why then, did they continue to bring those rules in when there was some opposition rather than holding them back and working with the clubs to appease the clubs' concerns and then bring in a rule that everyone was on board with (similar to the rushed behind rule).

Agree with all you said.
But some umpires (Nicholls is one) take delight in enforcing the rules to the letter of the law. It's as though they are able to get one up on the AFL stars. This type of umpire says to loudly Newy "ITS ON THE DVD". And repeats it two more times for the benefit of the tv cameras as well.

A good umpire OTH would say to Newy "sorry Chris but it's the rule mate. Nothing I can do about it". He'd be almost apologetic.

Now which umpire do you think the players and the fans would respect?

Same old umpires,always cheating.

We have to face the facts that we have to play 20 men every week compared to other teams.

Another disgraceful biased effort from the umpires yesterday.

Everyone could see it yesterday too not only me.

Cheating cheating bastards.

Lower teams get a rough go with these %^%$#, they umpire on REPUTATION, clear and simple.

Kingy laid 2 great tackles in a row in the 4th quarter Im sure it was, for no reward.....I watch other games on the TV and they are given without question.....

Who was that No.12 umpire? Geeez he was bad..

Shocking effort by the umpires today, especially #12. The King tackles was just one of the more blatant. The holding the ball decision against Hislop in our forward 50 and one against Silvester in their forward 50, while the Kangas were allowed to drop the ball at will in tackles was another clear example of the lack of consistency.

Robert Walls was going on about how the Kangas were stiff because of the late free kick for McGuane. Damn, I can't stand him as a commentator. McGuane was pinged a few times for holding (at least once it was the correct decision) and the late free happened right in front of us. There was clear extension of McGuane's jumper which the umpire noticed and correctly paid the free for.

Although we should never have let the Roos back into that game, in a drawn match these events matter.

Couple of the holding the ball decisions were a joke. 'Prior opportunity' my bottom.

the golden said:
umpiring was horrid in the hawks game ! razor the culprit for most of it ! :'(

Agreed. Only saving grace is it was terrible for both sides.
I think the umpires overall have been better in lieu of putting the whistle away for large parts of the season however they sucked in that game.

Tigers of Old said:
Agreed. Only saving grace is it was terrible for both sides.
I think the umpires overall have been better in lieu of putting the whistle away for large parts of the season however they sucked in that game.
yes it was bad both ways i agree oh well i can dream they will be fair and consistent to both sides and maybe one day will come true

was it just me or was today's umpiring atrocious. watched it on tv where you can see it better and they were terrible IMO.
i know they have a habit of umpiring on reputation and as a result we can sometimes draw the short end of the straw, but that went out the window today, unless Melb's reputation is bigger than ours??
some of the in the backs and holding the balls were disgusting.
it's impossible to interpret the holding the ball rule from home now. i'm at a loss

I agree.

I think I understand the concept of "prior opportunity". I don't however believe that the umps do.

Watched a stack of footy on the weekend and I cant remember been so annoyed with umpires, so incositent, its like one umpire is ultra soft and the next has swallowed his whistle........lift Jeff Lift

Was a weird game today. melbourne looked like they were trying their hardest not to win. The umpires were trying their hardest to let melbourne win. And we just scraped in ???