Standard of Umpiring? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Standard of Umpiring?

Redford said:
You wanna see pathetic umpiring, McBurney is putting on a clinic in bad umpiring in the last quarter of the Geelong v Hawthorn game. Talk about a panic ridden geek in the heat of the moment. Disgraceful.

McBurney is good at explaining what the player did wrong.........only problem is, half the time (probably more) the player didn't do what he said they did. I really think the Umpire stocks must be super low if they continue to let guys like that umpire the game

Honestly, that free against Sewell when he jumped for the ball was indicative of a bloke panicking under pressure. Sewell's feet hadnt even hit the ground before he had the whistle in his mouth to call holding the ball on him. Ever heard of prior opportunity McBurney you panic merchant ?

Lucky Geelong did enough in their own right to win the game and not have it decided by sh!t umpiring from McBurney.

Umpiring is a disaster.

Every game of every week I walk away shaking my head at the incompetence of these men.

SCOOP said:
I actually thought tonights game was umpired very well.

It was bad in the first quarter and again in the last quarter. Absolute *smile*. Mackie purposely walks Franklin into the fence in the first quarter, Franklin (rightly) retaliates albeit softly, and the umpire pays a free against Franklin.

The Mitchell handball ? Disgraceful.

Sewell free: same again.

Free against Taylor on Roughead in the last: soft. And there's more.

No wonder the boos were raining down at quarter time and throughout the last quarter.

Unfortunately the standard of umpiring is just 'part of our game'. Same problems year after year.

If an incident is too ambiguous, why can't these imbeciles just let the game flow on.

TigerForce said:
If an incident is too ambiguous, why can't these imbeciles just let the game flow on.

Agree. As they say, its not the ones you dont pay, its the ones you do. Unless its pretty clear, just play on.

And ffs ...give the bloke playing the ball a bloody chance to get rid of it !

Agreed Redford, that free from McBurney to Roughead in the last was unbelievable.
Said the contact was high yet at no stage did his arm go over the shoulder to spoil not did he touch his head.
To award a shot on goal for that at such a crucial stage of the match had me gobsmacked

I'd have loved Taylor to have told McBurney to watch the replay on the screen to find out why he won't umpire a final this year

(unfortunately he'll probably end up umpiring in the grand final the way things are going)

TigerForce said:
Unfortunately the standard of umpiring is just 'part of our game'. Same problems year after year.

See this is the problem, a lot of the time they let the game flow, sometimes to the detriment of the game as they miss free kicks for infringements that influenced the flow of the game, but then they pick out tiggy touchwood free kicks, for infringements of no consequence, which can have huge consequences on the game.

brigadiertiger said:
Must have been watching different games I thought it was rather abysmal for the night.

I agree with you there. Was shocking imo.

So often in games McBurney is in the game seems to be over-umpired. He just loves his mug on the big screen.

Couple of early goals from frees we might not have got on another day to set the tone. Couple more from 50's to Cartledge and Richo. Maybe the umpires made a pre-emptive decision to crack down on Hawthorn's perceived bending of the rules.

First time we've finished ahead on the free kick count since the Sydney game in Round 10. It makes a difference.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Couple of early goals from frees we might not have got on another day to set the tone. Couple more from 50's to Cartledge and Richo. Maybe the umpires made a pre-emptive decision to crack down on Hawthorn's perceived bending of the rules.

First time we've finished ahead on the free kick count since the Sydney game in Round 10. It makes a difference.
from square one they were against us we don't bend rules!
all teams go out there and play to the rules simple you guys did the thing that maulthouse was getting credit for first in the first game we played against you !

we played horrid and the umpiring was just as horrid mind you for both sides not just us i won't re write what i said in another post but i am sure you will find it easy enough

stripes17 said:
You must be disappointed in Hawthorn's display today Golden. Buddy was trying too hard to bring up his 100 U think???
yes disappointed i know willo could have gone for goal right in front some reason he passed it off i think he wanted to give Cyril a touch of the ball sadly he kicked a point the team i think tried to get it to Buddy a bit but as much as he got it he did not always nail it , though still good to kick 3 but would have loved to see the 100 come up today , hopefully not next week we are in W.A and will miss that game .

some how we were not switched on as we played way better last week [ umpiring was better last week too ] we were like this second half of saints game - my theory on that game they did not want to risk injury or triring out too much cause next game was geelong .

i don't know if they are more worried for the eagle match and did not come to play 100 percent against your guys or what it was cause they certainly were not playing how they have done for most of the year , we will bounce back we have too we have finals to contend with ;)

some how we were not switched on as we played way better last week [ umpiring was better last week too ] we were like this second half of saints game - my theory on that game they did not want to risk injury or triring out too much cause next game was geelong .

i don't know if they are more worried for the eagle match and did not come to play 100 percent against your guys or what it was cause they certainly were not playing how they have done for most of the year , we will bounce back we have too we have finals to contend with

So it was you guys not being switched on and not our good play?
Methinks the gnome's Plan A has been exposed and he has no Plan B or C.
Your early season form included 2 matches against the Dees in the first 9 games. So it flattered you.
And Buddy kicked 2 of his 3 goals from outa his a*se. Take those away, and add back his easy misses he shoulda kicked and he's still only kicked 3 or 4. Just an average days work IMO.
And how many times outa 10 will Osborne & Brown kick their freak goals?

Sorry Golden but you were outplayed and out pressured. The scoreboard flattered you.

poppa x said:
So it was you guys not being switched on and not our good play?
Methinks the gnome's Plan A has been exposed and he has no Plan B or C.
Your early season form included 2 matches against the Dees in the first 9 games. So it flattered you.
And Buddy kicked 2 of his 3 goals from outa his a*se. Take those away, and add back his easy misses he shoulda kicked and he's still only kicked 3 or 4. Just an average days work IMO.
And how many times outa 10 will Osborne & Brown kick their freak goals?

Sorry Golden but you were outplayed and out pressured. The scoreboard flattered you.

was not trying to take anything away from your guys we have played better then that we were not switched on at all you guys played better football richo was back forwards in the middle - in other words every where ! if we were switched on you would not have got near us if everything went right Sam had a horrid day and said so in an interview i know he is a perfectionist and will not be happy with himself at all and training this week they will be drilled as if they were in the army cause if we play like that in finals we won't make it past rd 2 [again] so we have to be switched on not off for any game not just the one we just played .

you won the game fair and square we lost it simple as that .

as much as the umpiring was horrid for both sides it did not lose us the game simple as that , we missed all opportunities that we may have had to get goals we made horrid mistake after horrid mistake you guys had the answers and got the pill every time !

we did not put much pressure at all if any you guys put plenty on to us , we will learn by our mistakes and move on to our next game in W.A hopefully switched on this time

Redford said:
It was bad in the first quarter and again in the last quarter. Absolute sh!t. Mackie purposely walks Franklin into the fence in the first quarter, Franklin (rightly) retaliates albeit softly, and the umpire pays a free against Franklin.

The Mitchell handball ? Disgraceful.

Sewell free: same again.

Free against Taylor on Roughead in the last: soft. And there's more.

No wonder the boos were raining down at quarter time and throughout the last quarter.
yes totally horrid umpiring and for both sides i saw things you missed let alone what we missed hope they do send them to the vfl to get their senses back

Umpiring was totally crap, nicholls was the worst of the lot. He seemed to be involved in every single decision in the 1st quarter. It's good to say that after we've won, not sound like a sore loser or excusing us :) . And we benefitted it a lot more than the dawks did too.