Should Tambling be dropped? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Tambling be dropped?

Should Tambling be sent to Coburg to find some touch again?

• Yes

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 80 62.5%

• Total voters
velo said:
I have perspective.

Outside the relatively small bubble that is Melbourne and AFL football there's a big world in which people work in high pressure jobs. It might surprise you, but some on here might face more scrutiny than you're aware of.

This "pressure" excuse doesn't cut it. Good players deal with it and still put results on the field.

Like I said, Bling shouldn't be dropped.

are these people reminded of their pressure when shopping, at the beach, on holiday, when buying the newspaper, etc? i doubt it

heres another scenario

what if you are professional executive in a company getting the job done, your great to have in the office, get along great with everyone, never caused the company any stress, never late, go above and beyond the call of duty but still get compared to the superstar young exec that is absolutely brilliant in his job?

my point is that looking at ritchie as a player objectively without any idea of where he was taken in the draft would paint a different picture when discussing him in a footballing sense. if you can do that you'll realise that ritchies situation isn't an easy one and admittedly he might not deal with the pressure as well as we would like him to but all thing considered, socio economic background included, i say he has done a remarkable job and empathise with him

Get real. In my opinion, other than within the realms of forums like this, I think Tambling has been treated respectably by the media. All these excuses for poor performance. Oh the pressure, the pressure of earning a few hundred grand a year. Earn the money, take the responsibility, if unable to do so, get out of the kitchen. Personally I think you're painting a picture that's not the case. I'm sure Tambling would probably be embarrassed to read up some of the excuses being made for him.

Tambling is no different to any other player trying to make the grade. Apparently we shouldn't look at where he was picked to make judgement (agree with that) but then we should consider that his situation in trying to succeed and the pressures he feels is different to most other footballers on the field. What a crock.

Judge a player by their performance. If they have external issues then of course give them support to help overcome it but don't let these external influences judge your decision on whether a player should be in the team or not. Performance is the primary criteria for getting a game in the 1s. Otherwise we may as well just open up a footy refuge for the society challenged and trade those that are able to adjust and perform to our rivals.

Wow, I didn't realise it was such a crime for someone to empathise with another person. Quick, call the thought police.

mld said:
Wow, I didn't realise it was such a crime for someone to empathise with another person. Quick, call the thought police.

Empathise all you like. Empathy is not my point.

GoodOne said:
Empathise all you like. Empathy is not my point.

It was the point of what sparked off all this growling though:

LidsBling&Cotch said:
not good enough at all but for some to even suggest he will be dropped and even delisted at years end is a joke. 23 yo 100 gamers are the types of players we can ill afford to get rid off especially when they have all the tools to play. the coaches must work with richie give him every opportunity to improve himself and he must be willing to work hard himself

i empathise with him because none of us would know the type of pressure he lives with day to day because of something he had ZERO control over

mld said:
It was the point of what sparked off all this growling though:

No its not. The bone of contention is why do we need to make excuse after excuse for Tambling's poor performance and application. The equation is simple. Go out on the ground, give your 100% at all times, or get dropped.

If I knew Tambling well, and was involved in his life, then I could empthasise with him as i would be in a position to understand his plight, but that does not change the above statement. Enough of excuses and time for him and other more mature players to give their 100%.

DragicevicFan said:
Needs to find a position badly, and then be left to settle in.

He is an AFL footballer.

We just need to decide if that is in a sweeping half back role, on the wing, or in a forward pocket.

Or, we leave him in the middle and let him sink or swim.

He has the tools.

Welcome to 3 years ago.

Just have to accept he isnt up to it. I would be looking at a trade at the end of the year while we can still get something for him.

GoodOne said:
No its not.

Yes it is. You directly quoted this:

LidsBling&Cotch said:
i empathise with him because none of us would know the type of pressure he lives with day to day because of something he had ZERO control over

and posted this response:

GoodOne said:
What the? If this is the case maybe he should stand on a stool, look around and see the ^#&#* many people in society have to go through who are many times worse off. How many people get the opportunity to set themselves up in life? Take the opportunity with both hands or move over and let some one who truly appreciates their opportunity have a go. Had enough of all these excuses being thrown around.

GoodOne said:
Get real. In my opinion, other than within the realms of forums like this, I think Tambling has been treated respectably by the media. All these excuses for poor performance. Oh the pressure, the pressure of earning a few hundred grand a year. Earn the money, take the responsibility, if unable to do so, get out of the kitchen. Personally I think you're painting a picture that's not the case. I'm sure Tambling would probably be embarrassed to read up some of the excuses being made for him.

Tambling is no different to any other player trying to make the grade. Apparently we shouldn't look at where he was picked to make judgement (agree with that) but then we should consider that his situation in trying to succeed and the pressures he feels is different to most other footballers on the field. What a crock.

Judge a player by their performance. If they have external issues then of course give them support to help overcome it but don't let these external influences judge your decision on whether a player should be in the team or not. Performance is the primary criteria for getting a game in the 1s. Otherwise we may as well just open up a footy refuge for the society challenged and trade those that are able to adjust and perform to our rivals.

you are completely missing my point

he is a good to average footballer based on his current 100 game output that we all agree has a good skill set and should be working harder to get the most out of his talent. there is no disputing that

as we saw last year he averaged 22 touches a game including what i would call a couple of stinkers yet despite his productivity and improvement he was still potted and most questioned even his best games.

after all our list management problems during the frawley/beck era, if i was asked if i'd be happy with a solid 200 gamer at pick 4 i would have been delighted. thats my perspective and its being objective

it just seems that no matter how well he plays its not good enough because theres a bloke taken after him thats been better. so there is unfair comparisons and there is unwarranted criticism and extra pressure. more so then other players

without those comparisons ask yourself the same questions and your answers might change

LidsBling&Cotch said:
it just seems that no matter how well he plays its not good enough because theres a bloke taken after him thats been better. so there is unfair comparisons and there is unwarranted criticism and extra pressure. more so then other players

without those comparisons ask yourself the same questions and your answers might change

I disagree. I think last year when Tambling was playing well, everyone was happy with the thought that he had finally come of age. The fact that he is coming out this year and going back to his old ways of early last year has nothing to do with Buddy Franklin. In fact right now, I'd say there is alot more pressure on Franklin due to people expecting him to live up to his lofty standards of 2008. This argument about the Tambling/Franklin comparison may have been valid in the first 2 or 3 years, but I think most have acknowledged now that Tambling is not a Franklin and just want him to go on the ground and put a 100% effort in and recognise the gift he has been given, and that is to play AFL footy. Nothing more, nothing less.

GoodOne said:
I disagree. I think last year when Tambling was playing well, everyone was happy with the thought that he had finally come of age. The fact that he is coming out this year and going back to his old ways of early last year has nothing to do with Buddy Franklin. In fact right now, I'd say there is alot more pressure on Franklin due to people expecting him to live up to his lofty standards of 2008. This argument about the Tambling/Franklin comparison may have been valid in the first 2 or 3 years, but I think most have acknowledged now that Tambling is not a Franklin and just want him to go on the ground and put a 100% effort in and recognise the gift he has been given, and that is to play AFL footy. Nothing more, nothing less.

poor buddy, all that pressure that comes with a premiership, coleman and $800k a year.

yeah i really feel for the bloke

LidsBling&Cotch said:
poor buddy, all that pressure that comes with a premiership, coleman and $800k a year.

yeah i really feel for the bloke

So you dont think Buddy is under even more pressure to perform because of the above? The same argument you've been spouting all along. 'Expectation'. Exactly my point, Tambling isn't on his holy lonesome. His pressures are the same as every other player. If he can't handle them then he is not an AFL player. Simple.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
do u think that because of the coaching staff or a shift in tamblings situation?

looks to me that his improvement has hit the wall, if anything he has reverted to that state of nothingness where he contributes zilch, zippo, sqwat

He always plays with pressure but this year is by far the worse. I voted yes, but took it back because mcmahonn would come back in or even worse king.
He lives on handball recieves and this just meas he has to add to
his game to get a kick. We'll find out a bit about him if he can manage to
brake the 20 possession mark with the way things are going.

GoodOne said:
So you dont think Buddy is under even more pressure to perform because of the above? The same argument you've been spouting all along. 'Expectation'. Exactly my point, Tambling isn't on his holy lonesome. His pressures are the same as every other player. If he can't handle them then he is not an AFL player. Simple.

unfair expectation because of where he was drafted is different to the pressure that comes with being a universally loved superstar on massive coin, having women throw themselves at you and playing in a recently successful team

Richie's an outside footballer playing in an ordinary side who has to get his own ball more often than not which he hasn't got the build or mental hardness to do.
He;s a wingman/half forward only.
In a side with good players regularly feeding him the ball he'd be a very good player with his speed and kicking ability.
Hardwick sounds like he's trying to build up Richie's confidence.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
unfair expectation because of where he was drafted is different to the pressure that comes with being a universally loved superstar on massive coin, having women throw themselves at you and playing in a recently successful team

Load of rubbish but anyway, how much longer are we going to use this excuse for Tambling's poor performance then? How long are we going to use unfair expectation as the reason Tambling is not going out on the ground and giving his 100%?

bringbakflemmo said:
Richie's an outside footballer playing in an ordinary side who has to get his own ball more often than not which he hasn't got the build or mental hardness to do.
He;s a wingman/half forward only.
In a side with good players regularly feeding him the ball he'd be a very good player with his speed and kicking ability.
Hardwick sounds like he's trying to build up Richie's confidence.

well said, i agree

GoodOne said:
Load of rubbish but anyway, how much longer are we going to use this excuse for Tambling's poor performance then? How long are we going to use unfair expectation as the reason Tambling is not going out on the ground and giving his 100%?

i'll assess him on his skill set and output in isolation and when doing that its fair to say he needs to work harder

if you expect bling to better then franklin then thats your choice. i dont