Should Tambling be dropped? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Tambling be dropped?

Should Tambling be sent to Coburg to find some touch again?

• Yes

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 80 62.5%

• Total voters
Mantikorr said:
I think Foley missing is probably hurting his output too - as with Lids - as he gets first hands on the ball so often in contests and feeds it out to the runners. We'll see how Ritchie goes in a couple of weeks when Foley gets back.

Agreed - give him a few weeks with cousins and Foley in the team and then judge performance. he is still only young...

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Has defended Tambling in the past but its starting to wear a bit thin.
If his form continues as it has this year then i have no problem in cutting our losses with him and put him up for Trade.
The only trade i would do involving Draft picks is with the GC,Any other sides draft pick would not be of any value.
Whats our archilles heal?A Ruckman.
Id put Tambling up for trade for any decent young Ruckman who is on the fringe at other clubs.
Hampson & Jacobs[Carl]
Bellchambers[Ess]
West[Geel]

All of these guys will be lucky to stay on the lists of their respected clubs!!! that would be a Greg Milleresq type of crazy trade!

uhuh uhuh said:
All of these guys will be lucky to stay on the lists of their respected clubs!!! that would be a Greg Milleresq type of crazy trade!
You Reckon Hampson,Jacobs & Bellchambers will get the chop at the end of the year?
Interesting to say the least. :eek: :hihi :hihi :hihi

Not a bad interview with Tambling in today's HS.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richard-tambling-to-play-his-100th-game-this-weekend/story-e6frf9ix-1225856575282

He reveals he's had a shortened pre-season. On that basis we should be prepared to cut him a little slack. But just a little; Dean Cox had a terrible start due to lack of fitness and turned the corner last week.

Tambling also gives an insight into the pressures he's faced from the media and fans. Said he was so angry at what he read that he hasn't been back on the internet since his second year. Very wise Richie, since the haranguing's gotten worse if anything.

And well done to Tambling on one hundred games for Richmond.

Yeah an interesting read L2R2R. Richie is implying the structure and game plan demands of the modern game are hindering him, which is understandable. It sounds like it would be worth DH giving him his head and say go out there, in the midfield and do whatever you want. See what happens? Good luck at Subi RT.

I just read the article in today's paper l wish Tambling all the best for his 100th game. Reading the article, l now see Tambling differently, he is a tiger and needs our support. As he said, Franklin is a champion. Tambling said he plays footy because he loved it... Maybe we are the blame a bit for his bad footy at times..

He certainly comes on the forum like most players as they are humans..

So to all people on PRE, give this guy the support he needs and stop the bashing, as l'm a little guilty of too. ( Ok Disco l'm sorry)

So again all the best this weekend Tambling and beyond. Go out there and enjoy the footy as you did as a junior.

Love B2.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
He reveals he's had a shortened pre-season. On that basis we should be prepared to cut him a little slack. But just a little; Dean Cox had a terrible start due to lack of fitness and turned the corner last week.

This is a very valid point. Hopefully Tambling's starting to work into some match fitness over the coming weeks.

B1 and B2 said:
I just read the article in today's paper l wish Tambling all the best for his 100th game. Reading the article, l now see Tambling differently, he is a tiger and needs our support. As he said, Franklin is a champion. Tambling said he plays footy because he loved it... Maybe we are the blame a bit for his bad footy at times..

He certainly comes on the forum like most players as they are humans..

So to all people on PRE, give this guy the support he needs and stop the bashing, as l'm a little guilty of too. ( Ok Disco l'm sorry)

So again all the best this weekend Tambling and beyond. Go out there and enjoy the footy as you did as a junior.

Love B2.

Posters 'bash' because he is a very privileged and very highly paid individual. Moreover, most of the 'bashing' is simply telling it like it is - he has proven to be at best a very average footballer for the vast bulk of his career. It's his choice if he wants to read this forum or other such forums. It's not about posters talking responsibility for what they write, it's about Tambling taking responsibility about how he plays and doing something about it. In AFL terms he is not a kid any more.

I don’t understand the mentality of supporters who find whipping boys playing for their team and constantly bag them, whether it be on forums, in the outer at games, in the pub with their mates or wherever.

Sure, sometimes we don’t think much of a player’s ability and become dismayed when they are selected every week. In my experience, guys who can’t really play AFL are eventually found out and delisted, sometimes too slowly for some of us, but they are delisted nonetheless. No amount of support will save them from this fate, they are simply not good enough. So what is the point of putting them under further pressure by making it known to them that we, their so-called supporters, don’t like them?

Paradoxically, the real whipping boys tend to be the better footballers, who just fall short in one or two areas. Especially at a club like Richmond, where thirty years wondering aimlessly through Bozotown sees us constantly looking for the next messiah and turning on him when he turns out to be just another naughty boy.

Tambling can play footy very well but, JUST LIKE MANY OF US, he has self-doubt, serious self-doubt. He tells us himself in this article. It inhibits his performance out on the field, to the point where he has sought professional treatment. What a shame it will be if he finishes his career as an unfulfilled talent because he struggled to overcome both the odious comparison to another player and the constant carping of his own team’s supporters.

Bagging him inhibits him. It stops him enjoying the game. It does not help him to achieve his potential.

Isn’t that what all of us really want? If our players all achieve their potential, won’t we have a stronger team to support? Surely, this is so.

Supporters bag whipping boys because they feel powerless to influence what happens out on the field. Bagging players allows them to distance themselves from the team they profess to support, especially in times when the onfield performance embarrasses them. They can say to their mates: “Don’t have a go at me, I hate them too.” Somehow, laughing with them makes it easier. It’s a cheap defense mechanism.

Here’s some breaking news. Supporters ARE powerless to influence what happens on the field in all ways but one. Their only power is through their support. When I was a kid growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, I attended a lot of Richmond matches and was struck by the passion in the stands. That’s one of the main reasons I chose this club. It was worth five goals a game, easy. Now, sadly, it is worth negative five.

Tygrys said:
Posters 'bash' because he is a very privileged and very highly paid individual. Moreover, most of the 'bashing' is simply telling it like it is - he has proven to be at best a very average footballer for the vast bulk of his career. It's his choice if he wants to read this forum or other such forums. It's not about posters talking responsibility for what they are write, it's about Tambling taking responsibility about how he plays and doing something about it. In AFL terms he is not a kid any more.

Well Tygrys l'm buying my kid a Tambling badge next game in Melbourne... You can buy a Franklin one.

B2.

TOT70 said:
I don’t understand the mentality of supporters who find whipping boys playing for their team and constantly bag them, whether it be on forums, in the outer at games, in the pub with their mates or wherever.

Sure, sometimes we don’t think much of a player’s ability and become dismayed when they are selected every week. In my experience, guys who can’t really play AFL are eventually found out and delisted, sometimes too slowly for some of us, but they are delisted nonetheless. No amount of support will save them from this fate, they are simply not good enough. So what is the point of putting them under further pressure by making it known to them that we, their so-called supporters, don’t like them?
Paradoxically, the real whipping boys tend to be the better footballers, who just fall short in one or two areas. Especially at a club like Richmond, where thirty years wondering aimlessly through Bozotown sees us constantly looking for the next messiah and turning on him when he turns out to be just another naughty boy.

Tambling can play footy very well but, JUST LIKE MANY OF US, he has self-doubt, serious self-doubt. He tells us himself in this article. It inhibits his performance out on the field, to the point where he has sought professional treatment. What a shame it will be if he finishes his career as an unfulfilled talent because he struggled to overcome both the odious comparison to another player and the constant carping of his own team’s supporters.

Bagging him inhibits him. It stops him enjoying the game. It does not help him to achieve his potential.

Isn’t that what all of us really want? If our players all achieve their potential, won’t we have a stronger team to support? Surely, this is so.

Supporters bag whipping boys because they feel powerless to influence what happens out on the field. Bagging players allows them to distance themselves from the team they profess to support, especially in times when the onfield performance embarrasses them. They can say to their mates: “Don’t have a go at me, I hate them too.” Somehow, laughing with them makes it easier. It’s a cheap defense mechanism.

Here’s some breaking news. Supporters ARE powerless to influence what happens on the field in all ways but one. Their only power is through their support. When I was a kid growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, I attended a lot of Richmond matches and was struck by the passion in the stands. That’s one of the main reasons I chose this club. It was worth five goals a game, easy. Now, sadly, it is worth negative five.

Firstly I think you make some valid points but I note the bolded bit indictaes you think people "bagging" Tambling don't like him personally - you should really say they don't like his football performances. From all reports tambling is a thoughtful intelligent guy trying to do great things for the indigenous community so I imagine most would think him a very decent individual.

If only it were that simple TOT - lets cheer louder because it will make them play better. If suppporters cheering was so valuable wouldn't the pies would have one many more premierships?

Richie says he asn't read forums for years how could he possibly feel the neativity? Do you think he gets approached on the street and bagged - I doubt it. Do you think his friends like to provoke him with the latest from PRE? Are his teammates constantly informaing him of the latest internet thread on him?

I agree that he must feel added pressure due to the way the draft worked but for how long should that have a negative effect

Surely players are "whipping" boys for a reason? It cannot simply be that supporters have massive insecurity issues?

Are you stating you have never criticised players when watching the footy, in the pub etc etc. I'd be very surprised if anyone could claim they have not committed that sin.

Despite my scepticism and in support of your post and Richie I am encouraging people to revert back to the innocence of childhood and think of nothing but positive thoughts for his 100th game and hopefully Richie can recapture the spirit of enjoyment of footy he had as a child and produce something special. (this is a genuine wish I am not being facetious)

Very interesting article this morning.

I wonder if people are rethinking what may have been said in this thread.

At least 2 1/2 months behind the rest of the boys ...... hmmmmm

It will be interesting to see how he starts to perform in May, I think he should be getting back to a standardby then. On a side note, it's great to see a young man who values his family more than going out and tearing it up :) .

Best of luck on Sunday Richie, I hope the wide expanses of subi let you love your footy again

I saw two of his first pre season games - the collingwood game at Docklands and Hawthorn at Princes Park.

I keep thinking back to those games when Richie gets bagged. In those games he played instinctive attacking football with the signature piece being the sizzling run through the middle and the long goal which he produced in both games. I remember in the Collingwood game him backing into a pack of Clokes on two occasions in audacious and couragous attempts to mark - got flattened both times.

I remember the hunting of the ball and taps to advantage. I remember the inventiveness and joy in his game.

He got injured (foot) in the Hawthorn game after tearing it up and I believe he got crunched in the last training session bfore round one by a less talented competitor to a midfield spot and carried back, foot and hamstring issues into 2005.

His disposal is first rate but sometimes confusion and doubts means he makes fuzzy choices.

In seasons 3 and 4, the term 'witness' was apt as he seemed confused as to how and when to attack the ball and the man.

He was terrific last year but this year I actually had concerns that with his injury and more structured game plan his light would again dim.

Good to see Hardwick is supportive. You cant structure a team around the individual needs of players but seeing Tuck was given 5 years to play individual unaccountable football, I wouldn't mind if Richie is given half a season as an 'attacking mid' with instructions to trust his instinct to see what he can produce.

Good luck on 100, Richie!

TOT70

I agree with you 100% TOT.

Thanks for reminding us of the need to support ALL our players through thick and thin.

Carn the Tiges...especially Richie in his 100th game!!

One thing that has stayed with me is that many players have said over the years that Richie, in intra-club and training, is one of the best on the park.

Last year we saw him take a big step up on game day.

Richie has it in him to be a very very good player, hopefully the new coaching crew can help him do that.

I didn't follow juniors back in 2003/4 but looking back over what was written about him, the hype and how he was rated (seemed a genuine chance to go #1), I would've loved to have seen him play back then to see what all the fuss was about and compare him to now.

interesting to see he'd had compartment sydrome in both legs. its a condition i have currently and is VERY VERY hard to manage. he's done to be able to run like he has imo

Doolz85 said:
interesting to see he'd had compartment sydrome in both legs. its a condition i have currently and is VERY VERY hard to manage. he's done to be able to run like he has imo
Thought he looked quite limpy and sore when he came off late in the game last week too. Surely this would be hindering his running capacity

stripes17 said:
Thought he looked quite limpy and sore when he came off late in the game last week too. Surely this would be hindering his running capacity

Doesn't quite have the leap he had last year, noticed it in a couple of marking duels where I thought he'd out jump the opponent but didn't.

To have both calves sliced must affect you and take some time to recover fully from

reading that article got me thinking

he likes to play as an attacking mid which i gather means he wants to do as he likes and not worry about his opponent. as we know no one gets to do that, not even ablett. now we hear the term "run with" used a lot lately which is basically means going head to head with an opposition player (refer damien hardwicks comments about deledio running with cooney after the dogs game). i might be wrong but "running with" differs to a tagging role where the players sole objective is to make sure the opposition player doesn't get a touch.

hardwick should let him go head to head in the middle with a damaging opposition player. sure his opponent would get 25 + possies but im sure bling could get the same amount. im backing bling with his 25 touches in an attacking role would include plenty of inside 50's and a few score assists as we saw last season. i'd back him to do as much damage going the other way. theres a chance his opponent will get the better of him but isn't this season all about learning and developing?

its worth a try if he is going to try lids and cotch at hbf