Schulz, Peterson, Raines and JON | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Schulz, Peterson, Raines and JON

I think the issue most reasonable thinking people will have about Peterson is that it was all done and dusted after just one season wasn't it? Don't think he even got a 1st game - and yet a prodigious talent was identified by more than a handful of footy tragics.

Now on Schulz, that was tragic, just ask Tooheys :hihi

Dyer Disciple said:
The fact is Peterson screwed Peterson, he was not hard done by, he has gone away and matured and come back to capitalise on his talent. Even his own new coach says as much. However people like Spanish prisoner just want to ignore this and bemoan our clubs dirty past again.

We don't know if more could have been done to help Carl settle in or not. There's no doubt indigenous players get a lot more help, support, guidance and assistance to adjust to the different culture these days that they did when Carl was a young kid struggling to settle in. No amount of debating either way, or criticising or lauding the club, will alter facts. Carl didn't settle in at Tigerland for whatever reason. I really hope he's given all the support he needs to help him settle in and have a successful career for the Hawks.

Phar Ace said:
I think the issue most reasonable thinking people will have about Peterson is that it was all done and dusted after just one season wasn't it? Don't think he even got a 1st game - and yet a prodigious talent was identified by more than a handful of footy tragics.

Now on Schulz, that was tragic, just ask Tooheys :hihi

I know the circumstances behind Peterson and there are somethings that have to be done, his time of service at the club has nothing to do with it. He had more than one opportunity to stay.

Now Schulz (I'm still waiting for the backlash of rotten tomatoes :hihi) he was a clear product of lack of culture/player development/proper mentoring/coaching etc. As I've said before, he will do fine at Port in a proper system, sadly he won't ever be the player he could have been as he has lost too much development time now. Williams is no fool though and recognises he can still more than fill a role. That is why he has been keen to get him to Alberton Rd for the last few years.

rosy23 said:
We don't know if more could have been done to help Carl settle in or not.

All I can say Rosey is that if the roles were reversed and Hawthorn had been the ones with him during the time we had him, he would have been out of that club so fast his head would have spun. I'm sure any of the other 15 clubs would have done the same in the same circumstances. Some things are intolerable. Especially from a rookie listed, long term project player who doesn't appear to be focussed on his footy or club.

Dyer Disciple said:
I know the circumstances behind Peterson and there are somethings that have to be done, his time of service at the club has nothing to do with it. He had more than one opportunity to stay.

I've spoken to Carl and he was quite aware of that himself. Doesn't change my opinion that there are better support structures in place now, for all indigenous players, than there were in his time.

rosy23 said:
I've spoken to Carl and he was quite aware of that himself. Doesn't change my opinion that there are better support structures in place now, for all indigenous players, than there were in his time.

I hear ya but I think that more applies in general and players who more apply themselves but still struggle ala Tambling etc in early days.

You can't help people who don't want to be helped. He didn't have the maturity then, and made some bad decisions after trangressing, from all reports now he has his head switched on which is fantastic. He's a decent talent, I always liked him as a junior and was keen to see how he went at AFL level. I'm just glad his talent is not lost to footy in general. I still recall the urban myths that grew from his day beating Staker in the ruck in WA.

Dyer Disciple said:
As I've said before, he will do fine at Port in a proper system, sadly he won't ever be the player he could have been as he has lost too much development time now.

I think that is part of the bigger issue isn't it. Players eventually rejected by RFC and play elsewhere are said to be no great loss, and while that is the case at the time, the underlying issue is and support could have provided.

It's like the saying:

Forget the cost of the consequences of your actions, the cost of the consequences of your inactions have been far more damaging to life's outcomes.

Phar Ace said:
I think that is part of the bigger issue isn't it. Players eventually rejected by RFC and play elsewhere are said to be no great loss, and while that is the case at the time, the underlying issue is you never get to see or realise the full missed opportunity with great player development support around.

The big issue for me is focussing on today and getting on with tomorrow. We all know we have sucked in player development, talent identification, coaching, mentoring etc etc.

This no doubt affects talent or selects the wrong talent. However nothing in life is plain black and white and no one gets a free pass or get out of jail card when they belong there (*coughs* unless you are filthy rich *coughs*).

Some players don't cut it simply because of their own faults at the time, even at Richmond, shock horror. I am sure most of our failed players shouldn't have been drafted by a club in the first place OR were not developed properly. But not EVERYONE. Some hear footsteps, some can't get off the silly sauce, grow up, put in the hard yards, make the sacrifices etc etc.

At the rate RFC is going in the public eye the Vatican are going to declare us a corrupter of souls. Peterson has taken responsibility for his mistakes and more importantly is working hard at rectifying them, he should simply be respected for that instead of taking another opportunity to put the boot into the club about another failed player who in truth didn't help himself DESPITE being given more than one opportunity.

Azza said:
Dermot has said he was just too young emotionally when he was with us. He needed the break to find a bit of maturity.

Some say the same about Dermot now.

SCOOP said:
Mitchell also spoke about Peterson being much better at engaging people in general conversation.

Oh no, how unlucky are we? We had one player who couldn't read and write and another who couldn't speak.

Tigers of Old said:
True but even Chocco makes mistakes.

How's Danny Meyer going btw?

Point well made! Some bad recent luck with Rodan too, though we always knew his knees were a risk.

GoodOne said:
Oh no, how unlucky are we? We had one player who couldn't read and write and another who couldn't speak.

That gave me a good laugh.

We are well on the way to the Quadrella - good to be overachieving at something I guess :eek:

Tigers of Old said:
I guess the thing you can say is that all these Richmond retreads have cost him very little.

Some would say that in itself is smart unlike paying McMahonesque costs for "gun" talent the coach is sure of ;D

Dyer Disciple said:
Some would say a decent percentage of modern day bloggers cannot read or write. :p

Especially with that sickening 'LOL'. ;D

Seems a bad habit these days.

CARL PETERSON

Does anyone here remember me boasting about Peterson 2 or 3 yrs ago when he was with us even though he wasn't getting a game.I have looked right back and can't find my post on him.Knew he was gonna be very good and i was screaming at Richmond to give him a game even though he wasn't starring in the twos.He was having some personal issues and nobody there at the time had the brains to see what he was and play him in the seniors regardless of his form in the twos.Some players don't show it till the actualy hit the big time,and i just knew it about him.Could be as good as Mitch Banner ;D. Somebody help get me to the recruiting staff,"I'M SERIOUS"