Schulz, Peterson, Raines and JON | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Schulz, Peterson, Raines and JON

Matiger said:
As you know these players were offloaded at the end of last season. Peterson has been named for the Hawks and Jay for the Power.
JON of course only rookie listed, probably because of that unfortunate disability...

Which one if any will bite us in the butt hardest?

Its not a matter if they bite us, they have been tried and are not up to it. Sure some may make it (in a better side) where there is capable players around them. Put them in a similar side to us ( the bottom eight) and they are not worth having. I kept believing in
*smile* only to be let down time and time again.
Raines *smile* himself in the backline, however, may prove to be useful, if the Lions' backline are stable, other wise the brown trials will be seen in Brisbane.
Jon, there is mention of flying? if pigs only could.
Peterson apparently played a useful game yesterday, but helped by instructions to run around. Like to see him one on one. If he can play consistent football and be in their top five players week after week, then I will say we lost one. other wise we have lost nothing.

Sure we played below our best and some may said we were crap on thursday. any side who has struggled over the past two to three years and have a turnover of 14 players, will find it hard first up. Our average age is 21.8 (leave out cousins and Troy) our average age drops to 21.4. This proves we have a young side with limited games experience.

I like the looks of Martin (young, trier and has ability), Nason (dropped a mark and cost us a goal from that, however, kept going, picked up kicks and goaled.) There were some good signs, its all about playing to our strengths, learning the team rules.

I'm confident that we will rise. GO TIGERS.

should diarise this thread and count the number of games and the impact the above players (ex Richmond and current) achieve.

Nice average game by Schulz. Was unfortunate in not getting a goal. 7 tackles though. Last year in 4 games for the Tigers he layed 9 tackles, so at least they have him doing something for the team.

GoodOne said:
Nice average game by Schulz. Was unfortunate in not getting a goal. 7 tackles though. Last year in 4 games for the Tigers he layed 9 tackles, so at least they have him doing something for the team.

Ball was in Ports forward line a lot more today than it ever was in those four RFC games last year GO! ;)

GoodOne said:

Chocco's at least getting him involved when he doesn't have the footy. He didn't do that at Richmond, then few did.
Not too many of our forwards made 7 tackles the other night either. Early days but change of scene hasn't hurt him so far and his doing his bit.

Ghost of Punt Road said:
Why is pattison not on this list?

Agreed but it's probably an oversight since Schulz, Patterson and Raines have already played for their new clubs in round one.

BTW interesting that in his interview after the praccy match (see Simmonds thread) he said they were training him to play ruck and DEFENCE. Seemed a bit wierd but then you look at Blake holding CHB at 189cm and Kossy played CHB in his Rising Star first year at 197cm. Might even work for Patto given he was a CHF when recruited.

The only reason while Peterson MAY kick on IF he does indeed kick on is quuite simple and that is because he is now at Hawthorn, a club with very strict standards, work ethic and a much more professional culture with quality leadership from strong minded individuals like Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, ect.

When Carl was at the Tigers he had none of the above, he had the ability and natural talent that he has shown this pre season that aint new, that was obvious then but now hes at a club that wont put up with off field BS and he has a stronger culture to keep him focussed.

Had he been at the RFC the last 2 years he most likely wouldnt have done jack *smile* imo.

The RFC has lacked the above for a looong time, and thats why it is where it is.

RedanTiger said:
BTW interesting that in his interview after the praccy match (see Simmonds thread) he said they were training him to play ruck and DEFENCE. Seemed a bit wierd but then you look at Blake holding CHB at 189cm and Kossy played CHB in his Rising Star first year at 197cm. Might even work for Patto given he was a CHF when recruited.

I read your post with interest Redan. IMO, the best game Pattison played for us was vs West Coast the day we carved them up at Subi by 70 odd points. IIRC, he played at CHB that day and did very well.

Streak said:
I read your post with interest Redan. IMO, the best game Pattison played for us was vs West Coast the day we carved them up at Subi by 70 odd points. IIRC, he played at CHB that day and did very well.

i reckon his best game was against adelaide at ami about 2 years ago. he was playing ruck and was everywhere. his tongue was wagging that day

thejinx said:
You must have watched a different game then... Coz he was definitely more productive last night than he ever was for us.

He had 14 possessions. More than he ever did for us? Hardly. Once again it was the quality of his disposals that came into question. Not losing any sleep over that one or any of the others besides Peterson for that matter. That's totally different too given he was delisted after 1 year due to attitude problems not talent it seems.

Intersting to hear Sam Mitchell on the radio this morning comment that Peterson never felt he fit in at Richmond and would leave training as soon as it finished. Is this the clique group we hear about?

Barnzy said:
He had 14 possessions. More than he ever did for us? Hardly. Once again it was the quality of his disposals that came into question. Not losing any sleep over that one or any of the others besides Peterson for that matter. That's totally different too given he was delisted after 1 year due to attitude problems not talent it seems.

I only saw the second half, so not sure what he did in the first, but he hit every target that I saw.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to keep him, and am glad he's gone, but I thought he played quite well against the Eagles. Better than his average game at Richmond anyway.

Edit// Just checked his disposal efficiency and it was 60 odd percent, so it wasn't great, but only had one clanger.

shamekha said:
Intersting to hear Sam Mitchell on the radio this morning comment that Peterson never felt he fit in at Richmond and would leave training as soon as it finished. Is this the clique group we hear about?

Most probably. But then again, we have more indigenous players now than we did then too, so hopefully that'll help the current group feel more welcome.

Barnzy said:
Let's remember it was only Melbourne though, the worst team in the AFL of the last 2 years. Even Josh Gibson looked like a superstar against them when in reality he's a hack. Let's see how he goes against some real opposition first.
The opposition has no bearing on Carl's ability. He was leading the contested possessions to half time so that in itself points to him being able to mix it at the top level. If he had of gained 10 uncontested possessions and hung out on the flank you could say it was only Melbourne, but the fact is he put himself in the contest, and looked good throughout.

You're just being silly re Gibson. He may not be Scarlett, but he's far from a hack.

shamekha said:

Didn't Mitchell also say that was at least partly due to Peterson himself, that he wasn't ready.

IanG said:
Didn't Mitchell also say that was at least partly due to Peterson himself, that he wasn't ready.

Clarkson has certainly said it.

Dissapointed to see Craig's reference to Richmond's poor culture being why Peterson didn't make it with us. That's a bit of a cop out. I am sure in many instances you are right Craig. No doubt we have developed players poorly, but you can't use that brush for EVERY player, not to mention their comes a time when players (with Peterson's talent) have to eventually be men and grow up and realise the opportunity they have and work to it.

Peterson let himself down at Richmond, the club can't be blamed for him. I know for a fact he let us down, in more than one way, not just in more than one instance. He left the club no choice due to more than one type of serious transgression.

Which is what Hawthorn refer to, he went home for 12 months, played VFL well (I think you'll find he was one of the highest goalscorers last year? not sure) and Hawthorn have rewarded him for maturing due to his potential/talent.

Good luck to Carl, great to see he is finally realising his potential.