Schulz, Peterson, Raines and JON | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Schulz, Peterson, Raines and JON

Dermot has said he was just too young emotionally when he was with us. He needed the break to find a bit of maturity.

I wonder if Bomberblitz and the Port Power forums (whatever thats called!) are discussing their "loss" of Hislop and Thompson?

So many posts on here are yet again looking for excuses. This particular issue is simple: the club has massive issues in talent identification and player development. This has been the case for 20 years, and I have seen no evidence that it has changed.

On this site people point the finger. The finger is pointed time and again at Wallace, at Frawley, at the Giesh, at Miller, at KB. The issue is not any individual, it is far bigger than that.

The reason there has been virtually no finals action in the last 20 years cannot be blamed on any one individual. The reason hacks have been drafted in front of champions, is not the fault of any one individual. The reason players are dumped for under performing then come back is decent players at other clubs, is not the fault of any one individual.

The issue is far greater, and the sooner the scape goats are forgotten the better.

No progress will be made while scape goats are being used...

Spanish Prisoner said:
This particular issue is simple: the club has massive issues in talent identification and player development. This has been the case for 20 years, and I have seen no evidence that it has changed.

On this site people point the finger. The finger is pointed time and again at Wallace, at Frawley, at the Giesh, at Miller, at KB. The issue is not any individual, it is far bigger than that.

The reason there has been virtually no finals action in the last 20 years cannot be blamed on any one individual. The reason hacks have been drafted in front of champions, is not the fault of any one individual. The reason players are dumped for under performing then come back is decent players at other clubs, is not the fault of any one individual.

The issue is far greater, and the sooner the scape goats are forgotten the better.

Wow really? I never realised. Silly me.

Azza said:
No, but it suggests we shouldn't be too angst-ridden if he's successful elsewhere.
Maybe we should have kept him on the list & let him go home for a year then have brought him back?

mb64 said:
Maybe we should have kept him on the list & let him go home for a year then have brought him back?

Possibly, in hindsight.

Spanish Prisoner said:
So many posts on here are yet again looking for excuses. This particular issue is simple: the club has massive issues in talent identification and player development. This has been the case for 20 years, and I have seen no evidence that it has changed.

Just out of interest what in your opinion are these 'far greater' issues?

IanG said:

Not suggesting I know what they are. My point was that I know what they aren't - and they aren't the actions on any one individual.

Without being at the club every day it would be very difficult to know.

But my belief is that a serious cultural issue is at play. An environment where individuals have been made scape goats - therefore relieving the pressure from others at the club that are in some way responsible for poor performance.

It wasn't all Wallet/Miller. Just like it wasn't all Spud Frawley or the Giesh before him. But too many players and official sat back while these guys copped all the balme - and the underlying problems were never addressed.

Well lucky you don't go for Richmond SP, you don't have to deal with all these problems.

theScabman said:
You're just being silly re Gibson. He may not be Scarlett, but he's far from a hack.

Nah sorry, Gibson's a hack sorry but he looked very good vs Melbourne because it was basically a training run all day as did a lot of your players. Let's see how Peterson goes against some real opposition.

Spanish Prisoner said:
Not suggesting I know what they are.

Hmm the fact remains you deride others for pointing the finger yet you have no idea what the actual problems are. You carry on like the club is still the same as it was 10 or even 5 years ago when it is clear that the club is addressing the issues it has had organisationally and in recruitment and development but you still then say you don't have any idea about the actual current problems. IOW you're just blowing smoke and trolling. Thanks for admitting it.

IanG said:

MMMmmm. like you Ian, I struggle taking people seriously who only do the easy bit by stating only the bloody problem :mad: - News alert SP - too many people die on the road too. Now there's another problem identified for you.

Perhaps like Mercury, it is a cummulative effect of mediocrity.

Spanish Prisoner said:
The reason there has been virtually no finals action in the last 20 years cannot be blamed on any one individual.  The reason hacks have been drafted in front of champions, is not the fault of any one individual.  The reason players are dumped for under performing then come back is decent players at other clubs, is not the fault of any one individual.

I tend to agree.  We aren't always privy to who made which decisions so it's pretty futile to apportion blame.  The one common factor over the years is that we've been hamstrung financially and thus severely under-resourced.   An entire culture needs to change and the more we all do in our own small way to help that happen the more likely the chance of success in the future. Steps have been taken to address that but only time will tell how successful we are in achieving it.

IanG said:
Didn't Mitchell also say that was at least partly due to Peterson himself, that he wasn't ready.

Yep said so on SEN. Said Petersen grew up after Richmond *smile*ed him. Mitchell also spoke about Peterson being much better at engaging people in general conversation.

EDIT: The smile word is flicked, not one of the bad words. ;D

Well as I agreed with Craig before in part, sure, but it becomes sad when EVERYTIME a player doesn't cut it so many label it as the club's downfall. Hell, we all know we have sucked at player development and identification for so long. However anyone who automatically thinks a club is at fault EVERYTIME a player doesn't make it, no matter how bad it's success record is, is kidding themselves.

The fact is Peterson screwed Peterson, he was not hard done by, he has gone away and matured and come back to capitalise on his talent. Even his own new coach says as much. However people like Spanish prisoner just want to ignore this and bemoan our clubs dirty past again. Now Schulz, there is a player who was mishandled/miscoached if people want something genuine to moan about.

Spanish Prisoner said:

So you didn't notice that the club had recently created numerous new positions targetting these exact areas?