Schulz, Peterson, Raines and JON | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Schulz, Peterson, Raines and JON

Asolutely none of them. Just like Zantuck didn't and many others havent over the last 15 years.

It'll be interesting to see how Carl Peterson pans out for Hawthorn. I'd like to know what the reason was for de-listing him actually. I'm not saying we shouldn't have cut him, but maybe consider giving players a game before declaring them completely useless.

Phar Ace said:
With respect Riddles, that seems more like a comment based on a "we can do no wrong". You seem convinced responsibility lays at the feet of the players only then.

Oh we can do plenty wrong; like recruit the wrong players and then hang on to them for far too long. The point is Peterson is the anamoly for some reason. We punted him after one season and no games. That is strange at RFC as we usually do totally the opposite. I can't recall how many games JON played exactly but I can recall he never did anything in any game to suggest he would make a good AFL player let alone a top 10 draft pick. Schulz played around 70 games and you count the good ones on the fingers of one hand.

No doubt we have player development issues but in the JON and Schulz cases it was more a recruitment issue IMO.

Phar Ace said:
I will be watching them with interest in another football club structure - if they improve it will confirm a few suspicions I have.

Hence if they don't improve - it'll mean your suspicions are unfounded.
So - what are these suspicions?

Raines had 3 to kick to in plenty of space, and managed to hit a West Coast player. :cutelaugh

Thanks for pick 44, Brisbane

deledio3 said:
It'll be interesting to see how Carl Peterson pans out for Hawthorn. I'd like to know what the reason was for de-listing him actually. I'm not saying we shouldn't have cut him, but maybe consider giving players a game before declaring them completely useless.

I don't think it is a secret that the demon drink was a factor in his delisting.

Received the following text from a mate who barracks for Hawthorn yesterday.

"WHY DID YOU GUYS DELIST PATERSON? WAS IT A) BECAUSE HE IS FAST B) BECAUSE HE HAS EVASIVE SKILLS C) BECAUSE HE HAS GOOD FOOT SKILLS OR D) ALL OF THE ABOVE"

Watched a bit of the game on Fox, and he looked very very good!

I know there were reasons for getting rid of him, but I will cop heaps over this one!

Spanish Prisoner said:

"WHY DID YOU GUYS DELIST PATERSON? WAS IT A) BECAUSE HE IS FAST B) BECAUSE HE HAS EVASIVE SKILLS C) BECAUSE HE HAS GOOD FOOT SKILLS OR D) ALL OF THE ABOVE"

I know there were reasons for getting rid of him, but I will cop heaps over this one!

E) Because he used all of his chances

Good luck to Carl, seemed like a lovely lad, I hope he takes this chance and hangs onto it. :)

Schulz and Peterson is the only one's i think might offer something substantial to their new clubs, I'm not crying about either. Schulz was coached badly with us and didn't help himself either, but it is too late to cry about spoilt milk now. Peterson decided his own fate when we let go of him so I'm not fussed about either of them.

With the exception of *smile*, each of these guys has gone to a better playing list than ours.

One thing to keep in mind. If they do get some good game time, they will automatically look better because of the support they will recieve.

In the case of Raines, for example, his limitations will not be as exposed as they were with us because he will have better players around him.

I have no doubt he will be effective for the Lions.

Raines looked good last night for the Lions. Hit targets (I watched the second half only), didn't get caught with the ball, didn't run on train tracks, and looked bigger in the body/arms.

As always - players leave Richmond and they all of a sudden beef up. WHY?!

thejinx said:
Raines looked good last night for the Lions. Hit targets (I watched the second half only), didn't get caught with the ball, didn't run on train tracks, and looked bigger in the body/arms.

No he didn't.

Spanish Prisoner said:

You should have told him to ask a Richmond supporter! ;D

Streak said:
With the exception of schulz, each of these guys has gone to a better playing list than ours.

One thing to keep in mind. If they do get some good game time, they will automatically look better because of the support they will recieve.
Sorry, but Port's list is better than yours.

Also, the thought that players look better in better teams is only relative to if they are gaining less heat from the oppostion. Schulz looks like he has a different mindset, that's a different set of circumstances altogether.

Peterson was fantastic yesterday. He belonged.

theScabman said:
Also, the thought that players look better in better teams is only relative to if they are gaining less heat from the oppostion.

Not it's not. Everyone knows players can look better than what they're in good teams and players can look worse than what they're in bad teams.

theScabman said:
Schulz looks like he has a different mindset, that's a different set of circumstances altogether.

For that different mindset he has had all of 7 touches and 1 behind playing in a team that's smashing the opposition by 8 goals and has all of the ball. He didn't do enough at Richmond for a player that has 7 years and the system and nothing has changed at Port so far.

theScabman said:
Peterson was fantastic yesterday. He belonged.

Good on him. He was delisted due to attitude problems and obviously now he's got his mind right and is starting to turn it around. That happens quite a lot with youngsters and they need a wake up call (in this case delisting) to realise what they have. Let's remember it was only Melbourne though, the worst team in the AFL of the last 2 years. Even Josh Gibson looked like a superstar against them when in reality he's a hack. Let's see how he goes against some real opposition first.

Danog said:
Schulz has gone hard at the ball more times in 10 minutes than he did in his entire Richmond career.

He's getting praise for what he should be doing in the forward line when the opposition has the ball, my 9 year old newphew could do what shultz is doing, absolute dud and we've lost nothing letting him go.

theScabman said:
Sorry, but Port's list is better than yours.

Great pick-up. Wasn't meaning to suggest that. Would think our list is probably the poorest current list in the AFL right now by some measure. Some potential to work with, but can't expect too much right now.

The point I was trying to make was that with the exception of *smile*, the other players have gone to teams that have strong lists in terms of challenging for a decent spot in the finals (I don't rate Port on a competition-wide basis). Being surrounded by that quality will, if they can get a game, help them out considerably.

theScabman said:
Also, the thought that players look better in better teams is only relative to if they are gaining less heat from the oppostion.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. That is the whole point.

theScabman said:
Also, the thought that players look better in better teams is only relative to if they are gaining less heat from the oppostion. Schulz looks like he has a different mindset, that's a different set of circumstances altogether.

Every player who changes clubs is going to have a different mind-set, that is a no brainer. And you are right, in some cases that change in mind-set makes the player a more effective footballer regardless of the list or other circumstances around them. There are a lot of other variables involved as well, like the gameplan, relationship with the coach etc. etc.

But I agree with Barnzy. It is still very early in his career at Port, but *smile* has done the same thing he is doing today at Port for the whole of his time at Richmond. He gets himself up for a game and looks like he has the potential to deliver, but never seems to. He has his moments of brilliance, but they came out inconsistently and were not sustained when he was with us. His return so far today for Port (I am writing this at half time) isn't exactly anything to write home about.