Ruthless or reluctant? Time for the club to choose | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ruthless or reluctant? Time for the club to choose

I haven't enjoyed watching us this year.

If Bakes, DR, Shai, & Graham leave (+ KMac, Pickett, Grimes?) we are going to be a hard watch for the next 5 years.

Who is left? Dow? Ross? God help us. We better draft well...

Reactions: 1 users
Players like Daniel Rioli, Bolton, Baker, and Graham (Martin?) could all be on the move. Perhaps it’s the allure of big money or the desire to return home. The reality is that if they stay, they might not experience finals footy again.
As the Richmond Tigers rebuild, we can capitalize on this situation of the players who do want to go . It’s a win-win: players get to choose their destination, and we gain valuable picks to build a championship team in the latter half of the decade. The players mentioned that may be on the move won’t be part of our future contention, trading them now maximizes their value . It’s navigating the draft, salary cap, and recruitment wisely. Let’s embrace the adventure of watching a new batch of young Tigers develop. Go Richmond Tigers!” 🐯🏆

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Evidently there are family issues related to Bolton’s family that may be the catalyst to a potential move back to WA.
If anyone has been involved with indigenous people or done training on this they would know that culturally family business is extremely important to them. There is a responsibility related to the broader family that is very strong.
It is not certain he will go by any means but this is what I have heard, it is nothing to do with any dissatisfaction with the club.

Reactions: 3 users
Evidently there are family issues related to Bolton’s family that may be the catalyst to a potential move back to WA.
If anyone has been involved with indigenous people or done training on this they would know that culturally family business is extremely important to them. There is a responsibility related to the broader family that is very strong.
It is not certain he will go by any means but this is what I have heard, it is nothing to do with any dissatisfaction with the club.
Can’t be the club. He literally said he was happy and wanted to stay a month ago.

Whilst I certainly don’t discount the family concerns, I reckon we’ve told him he’s tradeable. Decision is dead easy from there.

Last edited:
Ordinarily we are not likely to get good value for these trades but the teams we are trading with have an excess of early draft pics, so we are good things to get a much better deal than usual and we do hold the whip hand.

If the three players are traded (I'll leave Graham aside for now).
D Rioli - GC (they have picks 6, 11, 20, 26, 37, 47, 73) ,Bolton & Baker - Freo | WC (Freo 7, 12, 16, 25, 61) (WC 3, 23, 59)
We have 9 picks - 1, 21, 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68
If we get 4-6 picks for these three trades, we will have way too many - perhaps we might get some future picks.
Best for us ..
1. Would we take 6 and 20 and a future 1st for Rioli and say return 54, 57, 63 and 68) (I like a future first as likely to be a top 10 pic)
2. Bolton to WCE for 3 and future first) give back 41
3. Baker to Freo for 7 and 25 (maybe return 39)

Leaves us with 1,3,6,7,20,21,36,39* and two future firsts - 7 to 8 pics (4 in top 7)

Perhaps I am too biased to us here but we do hold the whip hand in all of these negotiations
If these deals get done were more likely to get picks in the teens and twenties than anything. Then we get the joy of watching them play well for their new teams while we’re still paying them.

Reactions: 1 user

If Bakes, DR, Shai, & Graham leave (+ KMac, Pickett, Grimes?) we are going to be a hard watch for the next 5 years.

Strap yourself in for 2025.
It’s going to get worse

• Sad

I think we can cope with the lost of Baker & Graham. It's all talk to sell clicks from these hopeless jouros. Can't see Rioli leaving nor Bolton.
Grimes will certainly call it quits. I think Mr Pickett can still be there next year then retire pending his performance.
Kmac....I don't know

I can handle being a hard watch, with a bunch of exciting kids. I cant handle being a hard watch, with all these senior players everyones scared to lose still in the side.

Reactions: 15 users
I can handle being a hard watch, with a bunch of exciting kids. I cant handle being a hard watch, with all these senior players everyones scared to lose still in the side.
Agree. I've watched a lot of North games this year due to a family connection. They haven't been a hard watch at all.

Love Fridge, Tiger legend, not least for the popped shoulder heroics that got us into the Grand Final.

But definitely tradeable.

Can’t be the club. He literally said he was happy and wanted to stay a month ago.

Whilst I certainly don’t discount the family concerns, I reckon we’ve told him he’s tradeable. Decision is dead easy from there.
He has come to us is my mail.

Ordinarily we are not likely to get good value for these trades but the teams we are trading with have an excess of early draft pics, so we are good things to get a much better deal than usual and we do hold the whip hand.

If the three players are traded (I'll leave Graham aside for now).
D Rioli - GC (they have picks 6, 11, 20, 26, 37, 47, 73) ,Bolton & Baker - Freo | WC (Freo 7, 12, 16, 25, 61) (WC 3, 23, 59)
We have 9 picks - 1, 21, 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68
If we get 4-6 picks for these three trades, we will have way too many - perhaps we might get some future picks.
Best for us ..
1. Would we take 6 and 20 and a future 1st for Rioli and say return 54, 57, 63 and 68) (I like a future first as likely to be a top 10 pic)
2. Bolton to WCE for 3 and future first) give back 41
3. Baker to Freo for 7 and 25 (maybe return 39)

Leaves us with 1,3,6,7,20,21,36,39* and two future firsts - 7 to 8 pics (4 in top 7)

Perhaps I am too biased to us here but we do hold the whip hand in all of these negotiations

I reckon a bit biased. I can't see GC giving over that much, you overrate what we will get for Baker too, and Bolton won't go to WC.

I'm not sold on this sell all strategy but I'll play the game. I think Bolton is more likely to leave than Rioli particularly if its family issues that are driving it, but we will be letting him go reluctantly and Freo will be aware of that.

Bolton - Picks 7, 12 and F1. We give back 36 and 39 - Very similar type of trade to the Cameron trade but slightly better as Shai is younger than when Cameron was traded. I think Cameron was 27, Shai is 25 and could certainly take Freo to the next level. Defensively their profile is great (2nd) but only 7th for scores for. Shai changes that big time for them IMO. Takes them into the top 4 for scores for, thats a huge plus to potentially win their 1st flag.

Graham - I'll assume we get Pick 40 for now, but could be 22 if we are very lucky or if West Coast play ball and we give them a better trade than below for Baker.

Baker / Rioli - 2 trade options that are linked if Rioli stays, 2 seperate ones if he goes
Baker - I know some have speculated about Pick 10. I'm going to edge away from that one and keep with what I've been saying, but it might depend on what any Rioli trade is. 2 2nds (Pick 23 and F2nd from WC) with pick 41 going back. If we did that, I then trade 2 F 2nds to GC, 54 and 57, for Pick 6.

If Rioli goes:
Rioli - Pick 6 and 11 - Give back Pick 54 and 57 and probably something in 2025. Potentially if Dusty goes too, we don't give anything back.
Baker - Pick 10 would be the ideal pick if they get that from Hawthorn if there are no higher picks to trade into.

So after the Graham / Bolton moves above, we'd have: (I haven't adjusted picks back for compo btw so they could be a couple spots different
1, 7, 12, 21, 40, 41, 54, 57, 63 and 68. I reckon we keep the last 2 for a Lockwood bid.

If Rioli, Martin and Baker go, then that changes to
1, 6, 7, 10, 12, 21, 40, 41, 54, 57, 63 and 68. We could then trade with Brisbane though Picks 40, 41, 54 and 57 are only marginally more value than Brisbanes Pick 17, so might need a bit more horse trading. We would have also gained Freo's 1st in 2025.

Whilst I'm not an advocate for this strategy I accept it gets us a massive increase in quality very quickly. I did take a look at what our best 22 could be round 1 next year (with only our current squad making up the numbers) and whilst its a bit vanilla, its not horrific if players are fit. I didn't include Clarke, Lefau or Young as they won't be available.

B Vlastuin, Gibcus, Miller
HB Short, Balta, Smith
C Banks, Taranto, RalphSmith
HF Campbell, Lynch, ??
F MRJ, Kosi, Mansell
R Nank, Hopper, ??
I.C Brown, McAuliffe, Broad, Ross

Prestia perhaps, but I'd think those 2 ?? would be filled by 2 of our draftees or trades from other clubs if we did that. Defense looks strong.

You would think our draft that year should be filled with Mids, Forwards and potentially a ruck.

• Wow
He has come to us is my mail.
Yeah I reckon Shai will stay. I don't know much about partner/wife going through pregnancy but it would be easier to have it all happen when settled already somewhere (now in Melbourne) rather than travelling back interstate in just 6 or so months.

Lots of talk about whether we are better off trading Bolton, Rioli etc. for early pick and what impact the loss of senior players will have on the development of youth

I’ve enjoyed the debate and can see both sides

But what none of us know (I assume) is what is going on inside the club. For the players mentioned, how committed are they, how popular, what are their training standards, their personal circumstances, impact on club culture and so on.

Really, only the club has all the information required to determine whether we should let them go or not.

And so it seems to me that the real question is do we have the right people in place to make these decisions. And I lean toward the view that we do. Hartley and Livingstone are still there. They just oversaw our last run of success. Gale and Balme are still there also. Yes, they won’t be involved in the decision making but the cultural foundation they put in place is (or should be) still intact

So, I’m fine with whatever they decide

Biggest decision really is the appointment of the CEO. Mess this up and the implications are much broader. Thankfully we still have most of the board that oversaw our recent success also so hoping they make the right appointment

• Love
Reactions: 6 users