Ruthless or reluctant? Time for the club to choose | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ruthless or reluctant? Time for the club to choose

A club like the dees who would have a late 2nd rnd for Lynch not out of the question.Suns are desperate for someone like Rioli.Baker well currently WC have 3 & 23 .They're not gonna give us 3 unless we give them a 1st back somewhere so atm a 2nd rnd is the only option.
Interesting times ahead i say.
The eagles will need to find a third party because 23 for Baker would be an absolute disgrace. Lachy Schulz got pick 8 and he is half the player Baker is. This will end up involving the Barrass deal imo.

Reactions: 1 users
All I will say is that almost unlimited early draft picks did not help GWS or GCS’s become flag winners.
Good drafting is only part of the story and no one gets it 100% right.
Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: 6 users
All I will say is that almost unlimited early draft picks did not help GWS or GCS’s become flag winners.
Putting my serious hat on for a moment, I think this is a fair warning.

The only thing I’d say is that GWS and GC needed to build entire teams whereas we already have a framework to work with.

This means we have the luxury of building depth in areas we lack eg midfield.

Putting my serious hat on for a moment, I think this is a fair warning.

The only thing I’d say is that GWS and GC needed to build entire teams whereas we already have a framework to work with.

This means we have the luxury of building depth in areas we lack eg midfield.
But that means we need to keep the framework. A framework has many pieces to it and you need all bits. Not just the gameday bits. There's training leadership, there's showing guys what to do etc.

But that means we need to keep the framework. A framework has many pieces to it and you need all bits. Not just the gameday bits. There's training leadership, there's showing guys what to do etc.

We have some good key back depth, for example HK. Capped by a genuine young gun in Gibcus.

One less thing to worry about.

100% we need to hit the draft hard.
All the new clubs don't have a history like us and 100k supporters.

Experienced players and good leaders/mentors become critical. That's why it's important that the solid citizen types like Lynch, Prestia, Broad remain. And why those like Jack Ross are important.

GC started out with Campbell Brown and Nathan Bock. GWS with Phil Davis, Cal Ward and Heath Shaw.

Reactions: 7 users
have to chuckle , a lot of circle work happening in this thread

in the perfect world I could pull everyone into room , have a meet and greet
then do a facilitated discussion on our list management now with the aim to present 3 loosely fleshed out strategies
to present to our football dept

then the recruiting guys come in , do a review on each strategy
and when finished do a Q& A session with us

and of course all of that is wrapped up with more drinks

that would have to be worth $250 a seat

Reactions: 3 users
It's not ruthless if blokes are running to the door and saying "I want out".

Reactions: 4 users
It's not ruthless if blokes are running to the door and saying "I want out".
There is the “flee, the joints on fire” consideration to be taken into account and will force some moves

This ^

Lets not think its the club tapping these guys on the shoulder.
I hear you Aces but Bolton would’ve been a tempting trade all year.

It’s Hartley’s job to be across these things and he would’ve had to know that we have some supreme assets at a time when the club isn’t necessarily getting full value from them.

So we turn that value into future value.

IF we tapped Bolton on the shoulder recently - IF - then we would’ve known great mate Rioli might follow suit.

I’m not saying the club is OK with all the dominos falling, but it is a scenario they would’ve anticipated.

It is quite possible that whilst the club would prefer not to lose all three prime movers (inc Baker) the raft of draft picks coming back to us can also accelerate our rebuild and open cap space for future trades.

Not a disaster for Hartley and something we can plan for.

He must bend like a reed in the wind - this is the way.

Had to quote this, couldnt agree more! I see so many getting caught up in the draft pick excitement. Development, fabric/culture/environment all play a huge role. You cut too deep and development and culture get affected

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
It is if all players were told no-one's above the club. My way or the highway.
If Yze has done this, after being captain positive nice and cuddly in public, I'll eat my hat.

And be terrified of the direction of the club.

Would be the ultimate mixed messages to the playing group and wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
If Yze has done this, after being captain positive nice and cuddly in public, I'll eat my hat.

And be terrified of the direction of the club.

Would be the ultimate mixed messages to the playing group and wrong.
From how I see it, the players (probably more the younger ones) like him as they've spoken this in the media. I can see it at times
on social media including some training videos and photos etc. I thought most were asking for a stern coach instead of this cuddly rubbish that idiots like Cornbrain see. Not sure what the problem is.

I've been saying it for a while. Kingy (who I really like) said it today:

“So if they (trade Rioli, Baker, Bolton and maybe Martin), Richmond at the moment have got Pick 1 and 21. They would end up with something like 1, 7,8, 10, 13, 16, 20 and their own 21 and a future first coming in."

What do we lose? Some on-field leadership, for sure. But just look at what we gain. Our next flag kickstarted, right here, right now, in 2024.

We'd still have experience on every line -

Vlastuin, Broad, Short
Taranto, Hopper, Pickett
Lynch, Balta

Ruthless Richmond or Reluctant Richmond? Do we want to shake the competition down for everything it has to offer and say "we are faaaarking Richmond and won't be down for long" or do we bow our heads and disappear into the long night?

Let's *smile* go!
I 100% would trade out especially if they want to leave.
Chris Bond got us Ottens.
Ottens also got us Meyer & Pattison

• Love
  • Haha
I hear you Aces but Bolton would’ve been a tempting trade all year.

It’s Hartley’s job to be across these things and he would’ve had to know that we have some supreme assets at a time when the club isn’t necessarily getting full value from them.

So we turn that value into future value.

IF we tapped Bolton on the shoulder recently - IF - then we would’ve known great mate Rioli might follow suit.

I’m not saying the club is OK with all the dominos falling, but it is a scenario they would’ve anticipated.

It is quite possible that whilst the club would prefer not to lose all three prime movers (inc Baker) the raft of draft picks coming back to us can also accelerate our rebuild and open cap space for future trades.

Not a disaster for Hartley and something we can plan for.

He must bend like a reed in the wind - this is the way.
I said it previously if one goes so will the other as they are a tight knit group.

I think Rioli has started all of this. Dimma would have been in his ear for a long time.

I normally couldn’t give two *smile* what Kane Cornes normally says but he is right with one thing we can’t get bent over here. We must extract maximum value for these guys otherwise they stay.

Reactions: 5 users
Ordinarily we are not likely to get good value for these trades but the teams we are trading with have an excess of early draft pics, so we are good things to get a much better deal than usual and we do hold the whip hand.

If the three players are traded (I'll leave Graham aside for now).
D Rioli - GC (they have picks 6, 11, 20, 26, 37, 47, 73) ,Bolton & Baker - Freo | WC (Freo 7, 12, 16, 25, 61) (WC 3, 23, 59)
We have 9 picks - 1, 21, 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68
If we get 4-6 picks for these three trades, we will have way too many - perhaps we might get some future picks.
Best for us ..
1. Would we take 6 and 20 and a future 1st for Rioli and say return 54, 57, 63 and 68) (I like a future first as likely to be a top 10 pic)
2. Bolton to WCE for 3 and future first) give back 41
3. Baker to Freo for 7 and 25 (maybe return 39)

Leaves us with 1,3,6,7,20,21,36,39* and two future firsts - 7 to 8 pics (4 in top 7)

Perhaps I am too biased to us here but we do hold the whip hand in all of these negotiations

• Haha