Ruthless or reluctant? Time for the club to choose | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ruthless or reluctant? Time for the club to choose

Lol at the rising temperature in here.

Anyway i think something like this.

We split pick 1 for a top 5 and a top 10. lets say 4 and 8. Don't ask me how it is achieved im just making it up as i go.

Rioli nets us pick 6 and 20 from gcs.
Baker and 36 nets us 12 and 25. from freo.
Graham nets us pick 40. band 2 or 3 compensation

We then bundle up later picks 39,,54, 63, and 68 for a top 20.

We end up with 4,6,8,12,19, 20,21, 24, 25,40,41.

There ya go rebuild complete lol.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Lol at the rising temperature in here.

Anyway i think something like this.

We split pick 1 for a top 5 and a top 10. lets say 4 and 8. Don't ask me how it is achieved im just making it up as i go.

Rioli nets us pick 6 and 20 from gcs.
Baker and 36 nets us 12 and 25. from freo.
Graham nets us pick 40. band 2 or 3 compensation

We then bundle up later picks 39,,54, 63, and 68 for a top 20.

We end up with 4,6,8,12,19, 20,21, 24, 25,40,41.

There ya go rebuild complete lol.
That's nice.
But where are the 3 1st rounders for Bolton

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
It will in the short term. I am concerned we’re going to turn into the new North.
North haven't turned the corner but there is some light there. They've been dogs balls for 4 years. If you can't handle 4-5 years of crap after what we went through you in the wrong caper.

Reactions: 6 users
Saving them for next year, we want to be able to ream two drafts in a row. That way four or five years later we enter triple flag dynasty era again.
We’re all sorted. We don’t need Blair, we’ve worked it all out right here, right now

Reactions: 1 users
Saving them for next year, we want to be able to ream two drafts in a row. That way four or five years later we enter triple flag dynasty era again.
I laugh we get our picks spot on and we are sitting top 4 next year.
Kano will pop a head gasket

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The ructions around Shai suggest that we may be in negotiations. Interesting.

Which historic draft is most comparable to the 2024 draft? What can RFC hope to reap from it?

The ructions around Shai are indicators IMO. That we think we can reap players with the draft selections we get.

Everything we do in terms of trading this year is mainly about what we can reap from the 2024 draft. It's also about the urgency of the looming Tasway draft concessions.

It looks like we are about to enter the game.

2019 article. Interesting reading for the scorched earth promoters. I’d say maybe 1/3 to 2/5 chance of success. Highly unlikely anything we get for Bolton will be an upgrade. At a very unlikely best it will be the same but younger.

2019 article. Interesting reading for the scorched earth promoters. I’d say maybe 1/3 to 2/5 chance of success. Highly unlikely anything we get for Bolton will be an upgrade. At a very unlikely best it will be the same but younger.
You went to spread the picks over a few years.
Only so much talent in one draft.

Reactions: 3 users
We are miles off it. Even if we nail this draft and the next one, maybe even the one after that, it’s going to take at least 3 years before we can tell if the magic beans are going to become beanstalks or weeds.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
We are miles off it. Even if we nail this draft and the next one, maybe even the one after that, it’s going to take at least 3 years before we can tell if the magic beans are going to become beanstalks or weeds.
Yes

Long and winding road ahead

Picks picks picks

Reactions: 1 user
Disagree. I think there are a few players in the draft who would slot straight into our starting group from Season '25, and make us better.

Look at wc as an example...
They have maintained a senior core...
Kelly
Barass
McGovern
Yeo
They haven't regenerated enough...
Their rebuild will take even longer...
These players will go over the next 3 years and the players they pick up in the draft will at best replace them...
Leaving them at square 1...
We must scorch the earth and pick up the best juniors in the land...
Build around them...
Look at competing in 4 to 5 yrs when these draftees are 22...

I really hope we have put ourselves into this great drafting position to use it. But it seems so unRichmondy. If we end up with 6 picks in the top 20 I'll believe it when I see it.

I reckon a bit biased. I can't see GC giving over that much, you overrate what we will get for Baker too, and Bolton won't go to WC.

I'm not sold on this sell all strategy but I'll play the game. I think Bolton is more likely to leave than Rioli particularly if its family issues that are driving it, but we will be letting him go reluctantly and Freo will be aware of that.

Bolton - Picks 7, 12 and F1. We give back 36 and 39 - Very similar type of trade to the Cameron trade but slightly better as Shai is younger than when Cameron was traded. I think Cameron was 27, Shai is 25 and could certainly take Freo to the next level. Defensively their profile is great (2nd) but only 7th for scores for. Shai changes that big time for them IMO. Takes them into the top 4 for scores for, thats a huge plus to potentially win their 1st flag.

Graham - I'll assume we get Pick 40 for now, but could be 22 if we are very lucky or if West Coast play ball and we give them a better trade than below for Baker.

Baker / Rioli - 2 trade options that are linked if Rioli stays, 2 seperate ones if he goes
Baker - I know some have speculated about Pick 10. I'm going to edge away from that one and keep with what I've been saying, but it might depend on what any Rioli trade is. 2 2nds (Pick 23 and F2nd from WC) with pick 41 going back. If we did that, I then trade 2 F 2nds to GC, 54 and 57, for Pick 6.

If Rioli goes:
Rioli - Pick 6 and 11 - Give back Pick 54 and 57 and probably something in 2025. Potentially if Dusty goes too, we don't give anything back.
Baker - Pick 10 would be the ideal pick if they get that from Hawthorn if there are no higher picks to trade into.

So after the Graham / Bolton moves above, we'd have: (I haven't adjusted picks back for compo btw so they could be a couple spots different
1, 7, 12, 21, 40, 41, 54, 57, 63 and 68. I reckon we keep the last 2 for a Lockwood bid.

If Rioli, Martin and Baker go, then that changes to
1, 6, 7, 10, 12, 21, 40, 41, 54, 57, 63 and 68. We could then trade with Brisbane though Picks 40, 41, 54 and 57 are only marginally more value than Brisbanes Pick 17, so might need a bit more horse trading. We would have also gained Freo's 1st in 2025.

Whilst I'm not an advocate for this strategy I accept it gets us a massive increase in quality very quickly. I did take a look at what our best 22 could be round 1 next year (with only our current squad making up the numbers) and whilst its a bit vanilla, its not horrific if players are fit. I didn't include Clarke, Lefau or Young as they won't be available.

B Vlastuin, Gibcus, Miller
HB Short, Balta, Smith
C Banks, Taranto, RalphSmith
HF Campbell, Lynch, ??
F MRJ, Kosi, Mansell
R Nank, Hopper, ??
I.C Brown, McAuliffe, Broad, Ross

Prestia perhaps, but I'd think those 2 ?? would be filled by 2 of our draftees or trades from other clubs if we did that. Defense looks strong.

You would think our draft that year should be filled with Mids, Forwards and potentially a ruck.
I think that is a pretty fair appraissal and probably more realistic than me! That is by far the best draft hand going around and if we get most right (we need two stars minimum), should set us up pretty well (provided we also draft well the following year).

It's not that I don't rate him.

I don't think he has coached well.

I also don't think Hardwick coached well in 2016 (have you kept your pitchfork handy, by the way?) but he was and is a good coach.

I think if Yze is unable to change things, he will be under pressure.

I am also willing to forgive and wait out inexperience and circumstance. For a couple of years. Not complicated.
He seems unwilling to react to problems as they emerge.
We have had a lot of injuries and that certainly limits his options but I would like to see him react more quickly to perceived problems and show a willingness to try and close down certain opposition players and rotate players so that we are for example, not always too slow in the midfield.