ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

Loyalty is there no matter what happens. If it wasn't you wouldn't be posting on PRE. My vote is with Gale & Hardwick. I think they're on the right track.

Go Tiges.

thejinx said:
And the club better be hoping the majority of the supporters stick around. There's only so much crap people can take.

75,000 members Benny? How about keeping the ones you've already got?

I vowed to go to the game and just enjoy watching the young blokes improve. It wasn't a bad attitude to have, I actually left the game feeling not too bad. I had a lot of time for Connors and Martin, Nason was good enough to get another run imho.

On the way home Frawley gave Tambling worst on ground, which I thought was patently unfair, Newman had a disgraceful night, Simmonds was useless, even Cotchin was ordinary. I wouldn't even think Lids was vastly superior to Tambling

I am finally beginning to accept that Tambling isn't going to be elite, but he cops far too much stick, He is just an easy target and I am sick of it.

Ok game one down am confused on what to think, at times we showed promise but it all fell apart

hardwick i said b4 i worry about this guy game plan apart from huging the boundry was not there, terrible selections and match ups
young guys ok will learn with time senior boys pathetic apart from a couple

my player reports later

Tambling Man said:
I vowed to go to the game and just enjoy watching the young blokes improve. It wasn't a bad attitude to have, I actually left the game feeling not too bad. I had a lot of time for Connors and Martin, Nason was good enough to get another run imho.

On the way home Frawley gave Tambling worst on ground, which I thought was patently unfair, Newman had a disgraceful night,

Newman was worst easily for mine. Given Tambling's 1%s Frawley's assessment just shows what a poor judge he can be.

Agree about having the right attitude towards last night. I actually thought there was a fair bit of promise.

I think a lot of people are underestimating Carlton here.
Most of their "peripheral" players are in their prime. By that I mean all their B graders (every decent team usally has about 15 of them) are full bodied strong men with many "pre-seasons" under their belt. And they had a field day against a young team particularly in the second half when the fatigue set in. I think as the year goes on we will find them again fighting for those 4th-7th spots just like last year. Remember, Fevola got most of his goals from marks he took on the lead. Those same passes will end up in another forward's breadbasket just like we saw last night.

IanG said:
I actually thought there was a fair bit of promise.

Couple of diamonds but a heck of a lot more rough.
I still don't think we have bottomed out.
This year could be the worst in recent memory and that's saying something.

Juffaricho said:
I think a lot of people are underestimating Carlton here.
Most of their "peripheral" players are in their prime. By that I mean all their B graders (every decent team usally has about 15 of them) are full bodied strong men with many "pre-seasons" under their belt. And they had a field day against a young team particularly in the second half when the fatigue set in. I think as the year goes on we will find them again fighting for those 4th-7th spots just like last year. Remember, Fevola got most of his goals from marks he took on the lead. Those same passes will end up in another forward's breadbasket just like we saw last night.

Carlton's defence was excellent as it was last season. They toyed with our half forwards.
If Fev was there I think the result would have eclipsed round 1 last season.
They were miles better but credit to our boys for at least hanging tight for three qs before the last blew out.

First chance to post since last night.

Well, we've improved!
Last year we got flogged by 70 points, and were near 100 points dowm in the 3rd quarter.
Yesterday, we were in the game well into the 3rd quarter but couldn't maintain it.

Certainly scope for alot of improvement but that should come with time and the addition of experience, a genuine tall forward and defender. At this point, until we recruit others, we are relying very heavily on both Griffiths & Post making the grade.

I look forward to the future with anticipation. Cheers!

Ridley said:
Exactly. Thomson is a battler who can't kick 40 metres. That is totally unacceptable in this era. No wonder he played so little at Port.

kKcked a goal from 50. Agree though he's not a very penetrating kick.

Cotchin – under done, went into the game not fit enough, all class, our next captain hopefully next year.
Thursfield – delist at end of contract. Should buy a boat and start his own fishing charter.
Nahas – played out of position IMO, Hardwick got this wrong. Needed a crumber up forward.
Morton – Quiet but contributed, Hardwick should have started one of our team’s better forwards on the ground. Hardwick got this wrong, but Morton needs to pull his finger out and chase. His career will be at the crossroads if he fails to be defensive in his game.
Simmonds - delist at end of contract.
Hislop - delist at end of contract.
Moore - delist at end of contract.
Farmer – Average game, shows composure but looks a yard slow.
Vickery – His contribution was a pass considering the circumstances, but has a long way to go IMO.
Nason – Impressed, a future player.
Roberts – Showed that he has the pace and the flair – not the future.
Tambling – One of his poor games for a senior player. 9 tackles was great, but also showed that he chased instead of being chased - delist at end of contract.
Jackson – his guts and courage certainly out-weighs his skills but if it wasn’t for him sacrificing his body in the packs we would of last by a greater margin - delist at end of contract.
Connors - delist at end of contract.
Edwards - delist at end of contract.
Thompson - delist at end of contract.
Martin – Pleased for his first game – future player.
Cousins – One of the oldest for us who’s presence was valuable under pressure, mopped up many times in defence - delist at end of contract.
McGuane - delist at end of contract.
Reiwoldt – Should storm into Hardwick’s office and demand another tall forward in the line up next week to relieve the pressure. Looks leaner & stronger – future player.
The RFC should thank there lucky stars that Judd wasn’t playing, the result would have been the same or even worst than last year.

GoodOne said:
kKcked a goal from 50. Agree though he's not a very penetrating kick.

I will admit I was at the wrong end for that one but it looked to me no more than 40 metres and it bounced in the square.

Regardless, if you can't make the distance from a 40 metre set shot you shouldn't be playing AFL football.

I think Thomson got too close to the man on the mark and got under it a bit. It's a misjudgment that can be rectified.

And he was better than all the nay-sayers are giving him credit for.

skybeau said:
I think Thomson got too close to the man on the mark and got under it a bit. It's a misjudgment that can be rectified.

And he was better than all the nay-sayers are giving him credit for.

You could be right but that just shows his lack of footy smarts. He is OK but he has too many flaws in his game and he is not the sort of player you should trade away a draft pick for. Limited footballer.

Ridley said:
One of the biggest issues tonight was the refusal of RFC players to run and spread when we had possession. Fair dinkum, they all stood around like stale bottles of p!ss. Lazy bastards. Conversely, Carlton did this every time they had possession and subsequently had loose players everywhere.

Notwithstanding that, I want Hardwick to be true to his word about kicking skills. I am so *smile*ing sick of watching RFC sides every year that are 3/4 full of players who can't kick above suburban level.

If the players ran and spread better, then the kicks wouldn't have to be perfect every time.

I mentioned it somewhere else, but Carrazzo was kicking his usual helicopter kicks, but they were to guys 30m in the clear.

B1 and B2 said:
Are we shocking at kickins from points or is it just me?

B1

No, its not just you B1. I cringe when we kick in fron a behind. The kicker is always hesitant, there's no movement from up the field and we invariably end up turning it over.

Having said, what are we good at?

Went to the game last night and congrats on 72,000 being there, IMO more Tigers than Blooze

The crowd noise when we came back in the first was amazing (too bad it didn't last)

Now on to the players

Thought Cotchin was very good last night, next captain for sure
Nason and Roberts were ok, which is good for first gamers, should play next week
Tamblings tackling was good
Reiwoldt kept presenting and was really the only dangerous forward (was double and triple teamed)
Connors was good and should be played at HBF
When Cuz gets it he usually uses it well
Martin had a good first game

Lids was good which isn't really good enough now
Hislop, too slow and decision making/desposal are not good, even his goal (from bout 10m out) was a miskick
Edwards can get the ball but his decision making is quite poor, execution aint good either
Nahas shouldn't be played as a mid, is best as a crumber and providing forward pressure
Tall backs (Thursty, McGuane, Moore) were not great, but the ball was coming in with little pressure at times
Simmo was worst on ground for mine, there was at least 3 ruck contests where there was no ruck, and once where Cuz contested

Unsure on Farmer at this stage, needs to play tighter
Jacko was ok as was Thomson, not sure if we can have both in the same team?

Out
Hislop, Edwards, Simmonds

In
Post, Gourdis, Graham

Team for round 2

Farmer Thursty Moore
Connors McGuane Newman
Chimpa Lids Nason
Riewoldt Post Morton
Roberts Gourdis Nahas
Graham Jackson Martin

Vickery Thomson Cousins Tambling

Em Polo, Polak, Edwards

tigertim said:
No, its not just you B1. I cringe when we kick in fron a behind. The kicker is always hesitant, there's no movement from up the field and we invariably end up turning it over.

Having said, what are we good at?

Hard to watch our kickins huh Timmy.
Yet we allowed them two cheap kicks out from points every time, they were 60-70 metres from our goal with no contests.

B1

Phantom said:
First chance to post since last night.

Well, we've improved!
Last year we got flogged by 70 points, and were near 100 points dowm in the 3rd quarter.
Yesterday, we were in the game well into the 3rd quarter but couldn't maintain it.

Certainly scope for alot of improvement but that should come with time and the addition of experience, a genuine tall forward and defender. At this point, until we recruit others, we are relying very heavily on both Griffiths & Post making the grade.

I look forward to the future with anticipation. Cheers!

Good positive post Phantom. All we can do is look for improvement.

Agree wholeheartedly about tall forwards and defenders.

Perhaps the Bulldogs provide a guide as to how long it might take to get that structure happening. Terry Wallace left the Tigers in the same shape as he left the Bulldogs back in 2002 - short and lightweight.

Our drafting will have to be spot on to have genuine improvement and our tall backs will need a complete overhaul - much like the Dogs of '02.

First live game in years, it was really interesting to get a different perspective.

Connors- is impressive live as he is a penetrating and accurate kick. When he turned the ball over in the 3rd there where no options to kick it to and he was just trying to clear the ball away so the defense could reset. Defensive effort aside, I like him and would give him a lot of footy this year.

Jackson-may not be a star, but last night would have been a lot uglier without him. We have lots of guys who bravely throw themselves into contests, but we had one guy in our midfield who actually backed that up by having the body to win the contest

Roberts- is unfit and underdone and played like a bush footy star. The biggest highlight for me from his game was when he punched Heath Scotland about 100 meters off the play.

Finally, the argument that our biggest weakness is our key backs is rubbish (at least on the basis of last night). Carlton barely took a contested mark in the forward 50, and when they did it wasn’t on our KPPs. Luke makes an easy target because he’s not a great kick, you’d prefer to have Matty Scarlet, but he’s pretty solid defensively and not the reason we are rubbish.

We are a rubbish team because our list is so weak guys like Nason and Roberts, who should have debuted after 10 games in the VFL, play round 1. We are a rubbish team because we has such little senior leadership that Chris Newman, who on a good team would just be a soild BP and perhaps not even in the leadership group, is by far our best choice for capitan.