ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

Lids disappointed me the most last night. He is lazy when the ball is not in his hands. To many times he showed no accountability and there were a couple of times he left his team mates to try and pick up for him. He has great skill, and a bag of tricks, but he if he can't work for his team mates hes a liability.

Once he was on the wing standing 20 metre of his opponent Gibb and Carlton won the centre break and Gibbs ran hard to the goals, Lids trotted along behind. after some contesting down foward Carlton won the ball and kicked it to Gibbs in the Goal square while Lids left it to Martin to try and get across and make a contest. Lids turned his back and started jogging back to the centre. Very ordinary effort.

Another occasion at a ball up he dropped of Gibb to stand about 30 metres off the contest, Gibb went to Cotchin which freed up a man for them, they won the hit out straight to their spare man for an easy clearance.

He wasn't alone, but as one of the senior guys on the field he has to start leading by example, Tambling, who was deplorable like wise. These guys have to put their hand up.

Both Tambling and Lids at times take the easy option IMHO.

Worked last nightso did not get to see the game until this afternoon and I must say I was disappointed in several aspects. Young kids will get found out but will be better for the experiences. Cannot understand why Simminds is offered the rucking role. He jumps way to early or into the man...yes he gets the tap but it goes nowhere. Our highly valued midfield....hmmmm where were they. Tambling was found out again, still so those loopy passes leaving players under the pump...cant our guys drill the passes in hard long and low? Handballs that drifted....are we too weak? Great to see players running though but where were they running. Obviously not where the ball was going. I know 2010 is going to be a long hard year but hopefully an improved effort in round 2 and we may just avoid a histroy making event

gustiger12 said:
Lids disappointed me the most last night. He is lazy when the ball is not in his hands. To many times he showed no accountability and there were a couple of times he left his team mates to try and pick up for him.

Not disputing your views Gus but as I've posted elsewhere the journo's, Bruce Matthews' from the HS named his best as Deledio, Cousins, Jackson, Rohan Conolly from The Age named his best as Deledio, Reiwoldt, Jackson, Jason Phelan from the RFC website named his best as Deledio, Cotchin, Connors.

Gibbs did perform well against Lids as per Ratten's assessment.

gustiger12 said:
Both Tambling and Lids at times take the easy option IMHO.

Neither seem to have the killer instinct gussie :-\. Perhaps infected by our chronic lack of leadership over the years?
After 6 seasons they need to be taking the lead, unfortunately for both they still seem to be following.
Hope Dimma's firing a few well directed rockets this week.

Tigers of Old said:
Perhaps infected by our chronic lack of leadership over the years?

Must be. Just like kids performing badly when they grow up after bad parenting.

skiptomystu said:
Daniel Connors - The one major positive for me tonight. Seems to have inherited Bowden's role in the backline, except Connors is much more craftier and better with the footy. Looks like he should be playing for Geelong or someone out there and really stood out as one of our best disposers. He is in for a great year and I'm excited for him and his future....he's going to be a great player.

Agree that he played a similar role, but better with the footy? He has more potential than many others in the team though.

From being a bits and pieces player, he's been given an important role with just ten AFL games under his belt. Needs time.

tigersnake said:
there i go with the pills again, I reckon DC has, yet again, definately come in and taken no role, let alone the backline playmaker. He may have a role as the key Tiger backline bad decision maker and loser of any contest bordering on hard.

Dunno which game you were watching. Was it the Connors in the Little League maybe?

geoffryprettyboy said:
Not disputing your views Gus but as I've posted elsewhere the journo's, Bruce Matthews' from the HS named his best as Deledio, Cousins, Jackson, Rohan Conolly from The Age named his best as Deledio, Reiwoldt, Jackson, Jason Phelan from the RFC website named his best as Deledio, Cotchin, Connors.

Gibbs did perform well against Lids as per Ratten's assessment.

You know I don't disagree that he probably was one of our best, but that just highlights how far off some of the others were. I'm not disputing hes good, but could be great, but won't be until he get the laziness out of his game.

I think the term downhill skier has been used somewhere.

If he worked harder he might have had the sort of stats Carazzo had.

Tigers of Old said:
Neither seem to have the killer instinct gussie :-\. Perhaps infected by our chronic lack of leadership over the years?
After 6 seasons they need to be taking the lead, unfortunately for both they still seem to be following.
Hope Dimma's firing a few well directed rockets this week.

They should not be mentioned in the same breath. BD is an elite player. RT is not. BD keeps us in contests, makes the play (he can't do it alone) and stops us from looking like a complete basket case, RT is, at best, a reasonable link man. Chips were down, again, last night. BD stood up, again, RT didn't, again.

I really hope RT watches Basin's highlight tape for tips on how to not bobble under pressure, how to take a half-volley on the run under pressure, how to keep your head and back yourself when outnumberd, all the things we'd love to see him do more than once a month.

Phantom said:
First chance to post since last night.

Well, we've improved!
Last year we got flogged by 70 points, and were near 100 points dowm in the 3rd quarter.
Yesterday, we were in the game well into the 3rd quarter but couldn't maintain it.

Certainly scope for alot of improvement but that should come with time and the addition of experience, a genuine tall forward and defender. At this point, until we recruit others, we are relying very heavily on both Griffiths & Post making the grade.

I look forward to the future with anticipation. Cheers!
i only saw a bit of the start and the end of 3rd and patches of 4th , that is what i thought , you guys with the young guys just ran out of legs and that will get better believe me ! they will get to a point they can maintain their legs well into 4th as i say it is a work in progress ! ,

shamekha said:
If we had of got maybe 1 or 2 more goals when we had the momentum in the 3rd things may have been different. Thought we were still in with a chance.

i honestly dont think it works like that. if we'd got those 1 or 2 more goals we would have gone down by 40 something points instead of 50 something. Carlton having a stronger second half was to be expected.

when we get some size and structure in the team we will be better

B: Moore Gourdis Farmer
HB: Connors Post Nason
C: Newman Jackson Deledio
HF: Astbury Riewoldt Cousins
F: Nahas Griffiths Morton
R: Graeme Martin Cotchin

play this team and let them play games regardless of the result

cmontiges said:
i honestly dont think it works like that. if we'd got those 1 or 2 more goals we would have gone down by 40 something points instead of 50 something. Carlton having a stronger second half was to be expected.

You never know

skybeau said:
I think Thomson got too close to the man on the mark and got under it a bit. It's a misjudgment that can be rectified.

And he was better than all the nay-sayers are giving him credit for.
Sorry SB I thought he was terrible. The way he bombed it into the forward line was pointless and outdated. I know he wasn't the only one but he stuck out like dogs balls. The difference between the delivery into the forward line was staggering imo.
I saw some glimpses and we will be better fort it.
GO TIGES!

CC TIGER said:
IMHO good post....for me Nahas has to improve, yes Browne is lightning, however he seems to struggle whenever he gets a genuine speedster on him

You must have a short memory. Go back to last year against Carlton and tell me if Nahas struggled against Joseph IIRC he had 17 + touches kicked 2 goals and with a couple of goal assists. Plus I didn't think he did too bad against the the oppositions best small defenders either . Sure he played below average, in fact I believe it was his worst game his played, but to say he struggles against a genuine speedster is a tad bewildering

Ok went to the game last night and ive just read all the posts lol @ the darksiders wanting to delist half the team we were all warned that it would be a tough year
gotta remeber we have new coaches,14 new players 4 played , new game plan takes time to adapt after majorty of players played TW's debacle

My points on the game
were rotating more players in the midfeild i.e newman , nahas , thompson
we were undermaned height wise
cant beleave we didnt have rucks at some of the contests (maybe we should play with 3 rucks vickery , graham and browne rotating from ruck to foward/defense to bench stuff simmo let him rot at coburg would rather see the kids get flogged and learn than watch a old fart do nothing) or just play tuck :rofl
we need to man up more
was great to see we made some runs through the center
jack and morton are the key guys in foward was confused why morton started on bench
was wrapped with nason , martin , roberts , farmer did ok
i liked how we came back into the game we just ran out of steam
was dissapointing from some of the experinced brigade
we need to stop this silly turnovers the kill us
why the hell does richmond decide to have hyped up games against carlton we always lose them remember the centenary game , the hyped up cousins v judd , and now richo send off and lesser extent mr crowe talking about n crowe was dissapointed he didnt get the cheers he should of got and some of the kids where i was sitting asking who he was :mad:

first game of season we have seen the measruring stick if its the same thing after round 22 finishes then we hit the panic button

i see light at the end of the tunnel we just need to be patient

ive just watched the 1st half again. its funny seeing the guys who get criticized.
so far jackson has been our best. about 15 possies, only 1 bad one that ive seen, his horrible shot for goal. he set up at least 2 goals, one with a great kick to riewoldts advantage, and the other when he got the clearance and kicked it forward just before half time.
hislop has been good. kicked a goal, set another up good pressure, his 'bad' kicking hasnt been seen at all.
moore has been good, one bad kick, besides that his disposal has been good and his defensive efforts have been good, same with mcgaune.
thomson has been reasonable. his stats were low but he was often at the bottom of the pack getting a hand on the ball stopping a clearance.
lids ended up with 23 possies, gibbs his opponent got 23. one of them played in a team that racked up possessions, got a lot of easy ball and had a midfield well on top, one didnt.

i do think a lot of the lack of defensive pressure has been a due to trialling different tactics. when we played man on man, pressing hard the blues found it hard to move the ball forward, when we zoned they were able to break it quite easy at times.

my guess for morton starting on the bench is a concern for lack of forward pressure. i dont think we can have a forward line of jack, mitch, TV and roberts without the ball coming out very easy a lot. that is why hislop will continue to play as long as the rest if his game is ok.

one question. does any know if tambling had another baby this week? not his best game.

Brodders17 said:
ive just watched the 1st half again. its funny seeing the guys who get criticized.
so far jackson has been our best. about 15 possies, only 1 bad one that ive seen, his horrible shot for goal. he set up at least 2 goals, one with a great kick to riewoldts advantage, and the other when he got the clearance and kicked it forward just before half time.
hislop has been good. kicked a goal, set another up good pressure, his 'bad' kicking hasnt been seen at all.
moore has been good, one bad kick, besides that his disposal has been good and his defensive efforts have been good, same with mcgaune.
thomson has been reasonable. his stats were low but he was often at the bottom of the pack getting a hand on the ball stopping a clearance.
lids ended up with 23 possies, gibbs his opponent got 23. one of them played in a team that racked up possessions, got a lot of easy ball and had a midfield well on top, one didnt.

i do think a lot of the lack of defensive pressure has been a due to trialling different tactics. when we played man on man, pressing hard the blues found it hard to move the ball forward, when we zoned they were able to break it quite easy at times.

my guess for morton starting on the bench is a concern for lack of forward pressure. i dont think we can have a forward line of jack, mitch, TV and roberts without the ball coming out very easy a lot. that is why hislop will continue to play as long as the rest if his game is ok.

one question. does any know if tambling had another baby this week? not his best game.

:hihi At your last line.

Good post. Watched the game a couple more times and saw the positives. The first half we played some of the most pleasing football in a long while.

As I said, it looked like they had been coached. Amazing.

Brodders17 said:

Besides the reason you stated, Hislop has extremely good set of hands, playing as a medium forward option.Same reason why Polo has been trialled in the forward line.

Tigerbob said:
:hihi At your last line.

Good post. Watched the game a couple more times and saw the positives. The first half we played some of the most pleasing football in a long while.

As I said, it looked like they had been coached. Amazing.

Yes TB . I agree.

But what some posters don't realize is, it takes considerable amount of time for players to start implementing the game plan on instinct. A great coach once said'' play structured footy not footy to your structure'' meaning play to your team rules and game plan but do not let these rules dictate your instincts out on the footy field.

For e.g. If a player A is guarding space (when we do not have the ball) and the ball is in his vicinity, Player A has to make a decision if he remains to guard his space (as part of the game plan) or does he have the confidence to go in and win the ball knowing that if he does not win the ball the consequences are that the opposition will run through the space he was to be covering and thus creating weak link in the chain further up the field.Creatin a domino effect.

Our players are young and inexperience and yes we have heard many times, but we need to be patient. Give the players time to understand the game plan , have confidence within themselves to implement the game plan to the point where they are not second guessing