ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

Well if he's not an AFL footballer god help Deledio, Tambling, Newman, Cotchin and co. He was better then all of them last night.

tigersnake said:
I'm with you GPB, has not got it, full stop. Move on. Look at the replay. So many shortcomings I don't know where to start. In a nutshell, does not possess alleged class, and doesn't have desire to make it.

Some here are even aligning him to Joel Bowden. :hihi

geoffryprettyboy said:
Connors is just a stopgap, doesn't have it and is not the future. I'll be happy to revisit this subject as time goes by.
This is what happens when you drive around with leaky petrol cans in the back ;)

Barnzy said:
Well if he's not an AFL footballer god help Deledio, Tambling, Newman, Cotchin and co. He was better then all of them last night.

IMHO. Deledio kept us in the game for a time last night, and along with JR and TC were our 3 best. so we don't really see eye to eye barnzy. Nasin, now there's a young player who wants to make it.

I couldn't give a stuff about how many time a player receives the ball and kicks in hope or tries to do to much, badly, it thats your bag well Connors is tops. Nasin actually got his own ball, even won a couple of 2 on 1s, and did it well, made some good decisions, outstanding for a first gamer, kept at it. Thats the sort of workmanlike players we want in the side.

Connors doesn't deserve to carry Polos vinyl adidas bag.

CC TIGER said:
This is what happens when you drive around with leaky petrol cans in the back ;)

C'mon CC, you promised not to tell anyone about my condition. I certainly love to discuss our struggling team mate, but it's hard not to comment when they compare Connors to Bowden.

It's all opinions anyway, but the chicken will have to come home to roost. ;)

geoffryprettyboy said:
but it's hard not to comment when they compare Connors to Bowden.

Comparing DC to JB? come off it, where was that post. Now thats just dumb. and also yes sleekly coiffed one, I have no doubt whatsoever the chickens will, as you put it, come home to roost. I'm not even gunna say 'I hope I'm wrong' cos I know I'm right.

geoffryprettyboy said:
C'mon CC, you promised not to tell anyone about my condition. I certainly love to discuss our struggling team mate, but it's hard not to comment when they compare Connors to Bowden.

Signs are all there mate. Every bit a good a kick as Joel was in his final years an dare I say it even craftier with the dummies and getting out of trouble and so forth. Maybe won't win the 40+ possessions he used to but Connors has definetly come in and taken that quarterback role.

skiptomystu said:
Signs are all there mate. Every bit a good a kick as Joel was in his final years an dare I say it even craftier with the dummies and getting out of trouble and so forth. Maybe won't win the 40+ possessions he used to but Connors has definetly come in and taken that quarterback role.

there i go with the pills again, I reckon DC has, yet again, definately come in and taken no role, let alone the backline playmaker. He may have a role as the key Tiger backline bad decision maker and loser of any contest bordering on hard. As for the 'quarterback' last night, there was a player in the backline a fair bit last night putting out fires called B Deledio.

carlton couldnt do a thing wrong in the 1st 15 mins of game, skillful passing was a credit to carlton and gave our backs no chance with great delivery to them. Game was setup for them at the 15 minute mark of the 1st quarter.

Our setup in the backline was good, our midfielders let them down by not spreading to the contest well enough. they will learn to do this in time. We just couldnt get the ball early.

Loved how the boys fought out the first quarter and if not for a woeful decision to award the mark to Betts, and not Edwards, we would have had more momentum, instead of losing that and going into the first break 3 goals down. absolute shocker. Made a difference to the games momentum and umpires shouldnt have that power.

In the 2nd quarter we missed some real sitters that should be kicked. But it went a similar way as the 1st, they fought back really well and if we had have kicked those that should have gone through. ie Thomson and Cousins and Jackson. We were in the game.

In the 3rd we did pretty good but then started to tire. If we had of got maybe 1 or 2 more goals when we had the momentum in the 3rd things may have been different. Thought we were still in with a chance.

Forget the last quarter players were stuffed and the old adage of the taller players didnt get any smaller.

observations

Nahas needs to stop looking for free kicks, there was a couple of times he could have just grabbed the ball but instead threw his hands up asking for a free. played well tho and tries hard.

Vickery and Simmonds had a terrible game, didn't work to get to contests and nothing up forward and i'm not sure if it was planned but we had no-one to ruck in our forward line so many times.

for the person that said Hislop's goal was a miss kick.. i dont classify a left foot snap a miss kick, was a great effort by him. Did well was at the foot of Jack quite a lot and his pressure was fantastic. needs to improve his kicking but he did ok in my eyes.

Martin needs work to his defensive side but he did well. All the new players did petty good for having their 1st game in front of 70,000+ rabid fans.

Lids was tagged but he also needs work on his defence.

Tambling got tagged out of it as well. Needed to work harder

Connors did great and it was good to see him play with such confidence.

Edwards was ok i thought, stuffed up a handball in the centre but other than that played ok. Got a lot of the ball in traffic. And you can't blame him for all of Betts' goals because he wasnt on the ground for some of them. He'll play next week.

In the end i thought Hardwick probably learnt as much as any of the players. It was his first game as well. He went in too short and i bet we see a taller forward line next week. A lot of the goals that Carlton kicked i attribute to their superior midfield and run. Tigers just got thrashed in the stoppages and to not have a ruckman contest so many times is either poor from our players or a bad tactic.

It will be interesting to see how and who are in and out for next week

geoffryprettyboy said:
Some here are even aligning him to Joel Bowden. :hihi

Someone saying certain players remind them of others isnt a factual thing geoff. Connors has a nice raking lefty, he likes to sell some candy and he isnt mr defensive. Gee whiz shoot me for seeing a similarity :blah

tigersnake said:
they open bro. People need to watch the play more closely. Mark my words, not an AFL footy player.

incorrect did well

need to add that Connors and Bowden are very different players

shamekha said:
carlton couldnt do a thing wrong in the 1st 15 mins of game, skillful passing was a credit to carlton and gave our backs no chance with great delivery to them. Game was setup for them at the 15 minute mark of the 1st quarter.

Our setup in the backline was good, our midfielders let them down by not spreading to the contest well enough. they will learn to do this in time. We just couldnt get the ball early.

Loved how the boys fought out the first quarter and if not for a woeful decision to award the mark to Betts, and not Edwards, we would have had more momentum, instead of losing that and going into the first break 3 goals down. absolute shocker. Made a difference to the games momentum and umpires shouldnt have that power.

In the 2nd quarter we missed some real sitters that should be kicked. But it went a similar way as the 1st, they fought back really well and if we had have kicked those that should have gone through. ie Thomson and Cousins and Jackson. We were in the game.

In the 3rd we did pretty good but then started to tire. If we had of got maybe 1 or 2 more goals when we had the momentum in the 3rd things may have been different. Thought we were still in with a chance.

Forget the last quarter players were stuffed and the old adage of the taller players didnt get any smaller.

observations

Nahas needs to stop looking for free kicks, there was a couple of times he could have just grabbed the ball but instead threw his hands up asking for a free. played well tho and tries hard.

Vickery and Simmonds had a terrible game, didn't work to get to contests and nothing up forward and i'm not sure if it was planned but we had no-one to ruck in our forward line so many times.

for the person that said Hislop's goal was a miss kick.. i dont classify a left foot snap a miss kick, was a great effort by him. Did well was at the foot of Jack quite a lot and his pressure was fantastic. needs to improve his kicking but he did ok in my eyes.

Martin needs work to his defensive side but he did well. All the new players did petty good for having their 1st game in front of 70,000+ rabid fans.

Lids was tagged but he also needs work on his defence.

Tambling got tagged out of it as well. Needed to work harder

Connors did great and it was good to see him play with such confidence.

Edwards was ok i thought, stuffed up a handball in the centre but other than that played ok. Got a lot of the ball in traffic. And you can't blame him for all of Betts' goals because he wasnt on the ground for some of them. He'll play next week.

In the end i thought Hardwick probably learnt as much as any of the players. It was his first game as well. He went in too short and i bet we see a taller forward line next week. A lot of the goals that Carlton kicked i attribute to their superior midfield and run. Tigers just got thrashed in the stoppages and to not have a ruckman contest so many times is either poor from our players or a bad tactic.

It will be interesting to see how and who are in and out for next week
IMHO good post....for me Nahas has to improve, yes Browne is lightning, however he seems to struggle whenever he gets a genuine speedster on him

CC TIGER said:
IMHO good post....for me Nahas has to improve, yes Browne is lightning, however he seems to struggle whenever he gets a genuine speedster on him

Browne????

shamekha said:
Browne????
:hihi What a bloody clown, I thought Steven Browne was on Nahas, he wasnt even playing must have been Joseph who was too quick on many occasions.........looks like Im back on the lemonades at the footy :help

tigersnake said:
I couldn't give a stuff about how many time a player receives the ball and kicks in hope or tries to do to much, badly, it thats your bag well Connors is tops. Nasin actually got his own ball, even won a couple of 2 on 1s, and did it well, made some good decisions, outstanding for a first gamer, kept at it. Thats the sort of workmanlike players we want in the side.

Connors tried hard all night, made good decisions and along with his 15 uncontested possessions got 8 contested. Dunno what you're trying to say here. He was one of our best all night like others (not just me) have pointed out. Well done to DH for finding Connors worth ethic and competitive drive, he always had the talent as we all know. If you can't see this then you obviously had something against the bloke. At least when I bag players I do it on merit. For example, I'm no fan of Jackson's and I'm on his back as much as anyone but I admit last night he was good.

CC TIGER said:
:hihi What a bloody clown, I thought Steven Browne was on Nahas, he wasnt even playing must have been Joseph who was too quick on many occasions.........looks like Im back on the lemonades at the footy :help

you may be right about that.

Barnzy said:
Connors tried hard all night, made good decisions and along with his 15 uncontested possessions got 8 contested. Dunno what you're trying to say here. He was one of our best all night like others (not just me) have pointed out. Well done to DH for finding Connors worth ethic and competitive drive, he always had the talent as we all know. If you can't see this then you obviously had something against the bloke.
:clap I don't often say it but well said barnzy.