ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

Freezer said:
I don't feel p!ssed off, disappointed, surprised or annoyed with anybody.

I saw what I expected to see from the usual suspects (Newman, Simmonds, Jackson, McGuane, Moore) and I was pleased with the application and ability of the newbies. Nason especially. Thought Martin worked his way into the game, saw some good signs from Roberts, Thompson surprised me a bit, Cotch looked smooth though not brilliant. Cuz got through the game ok.

Some solid building blocks there. Just need to knock down that old infrastructure and underpin a bit!

Is it fair to say that Richo was still our top performer for the night?

Barkdog said:
I must have been at a different game then......he was far from fine......Gibbs and Murphy as No1 picks played like it, our bloke didnt....simple as...

What bias rubbish. Gibbs was ordinary tonight. Watch the game again and see the cheap possessions in the last quarter. Until then he did nothing. Gibbs tagging Deledio, what does that tell you?

Ridley said:
Look Thomson was OK but he's just a battler and his kicking is just sh!thouse. My point is why have we continually traded and wasted draft picks on players like Thomson who have such obvious flaws. They will take us nowhere. We now find ourselves in this position where we have finally embraced the concept of rebuilding through the draft but irony of ironies we can't do it because the *smile*ing expansion teams will take all the good picks in the next two years.

We are seriously *smile*ed.

we have 14 new players in the team since last year what more can they do..

Barkdog said:
I must have been at a different game then......he was far from fine......Gibbs and Murphy as No1 picks played like it, our bloke didnt....simple as...

he has a long year ahead being the number one player amongst this lot. He will get the best tagger each week. Cut him some slack he has little support out there, and he will win our B and F by a minute.

He is the least of our issues - by a long way

Barkdog said:

Can you reply to my whole post, not just a tiny portion, so it can be seen in context? Cheers :p

thejinx said:
Our opposition will always have better disposals because we apply no pressure, and because our players are too lazy to run into space when we have the ball, we're always under the pump.

I was sitting at the PRE tonight with the kids and watching the defensive kick outs by carlton in the first quarter, you could clearly see that Hardwick has adopted a zone style defence. On at least 2 occasions, the tigers did very well to pressure carlton into turn overs, one of which resulted in a goal and a followup goal from a chain of handballs and running the lines from the centre bounce straight down the corridor.

how long since we have seen Richmond run down the corridor?

I thought they executed the zone defence from kick-ins pretty well in the first quarter. It will take years before the boys can put together a four quarter effort, but if they stick to the plan, i am now more confident it is the right plan to run with. So i thought their endeavour in the first half was good tonight.

So running is not always about pressure. And for those morons standing behind me yelling at the players to "man up" - well, lets just say that the team didnt train all pre season on manning up andthen forget how to do it tonight.

Clearly, they have adopted a zone defence, not man on man. And when executed correctly, we saw it work very very well.

Give them time. I walked away tonight annoyed that we lost, but satisfied we have improved from last season. Thats all you can ask for at this VERY early stage.

thejinx said:
I certainly wasn't expecting a win, but I was looking forward to seeing some of the defensive pressure that we saw during the preseason.

Same. It was a bit worse than what I'd hoped, but I'll put up with it for half a season, even if it's 0-11. But I want to see evidence of something building in the run home.

Jason King said:
Collingwood school of counting and spelling?

Not really, typos maybe but at least I still have all my teeth !!

Really what is so amusing about my comment?

We've been soft c*cks for so long now, refusing to make the hard decisions and take control/leadership of our once proud club.

The fish rots at the head and its been going on for a long time, hopefully we have the right people there now to commence our journey.

I was 12 when the Tiges won the flag in 1980 and flogged Scumwood.

Im 43 now....

Rat

shamekha said:
we have 14 new players in the team since last year what more can they do..

Nothing. I'm stating a fact. We are *smile*. We have finally decided that the only way to properly rebuild is via the draft. However, it is too late because the draft is compromised and those AFL love child expansion teams will get all the top kids. And we will win 0-2 games and have the great advantage of pick number 4 with a priority pick at 35 or something like that. Yay :partyfest

I am still staggered by how seriously this club has mismanaged football matters and we are now paying the piper. You reap what you sow.

You said our improvement would come from two areas and then listed i, ii, and iii. (Note the red text in the quoted version of your post).

That's the point tbartiger was trying to make.

I thought the Collingwoood reference from Jason King was priceless.

Ridley said:
Nothing. I'm stating a fact. We are *smile*ed. We have finally decided that the only way to properly rebuild is via the draft. However, it is too late because the draft is compromised and those AFL love child expansion teams will get all the top kids. And we will win 0-2 games and have the great advantage of pick number 4 with a priority pick at 35 or something like that. Yay :partyfest

I am still staggered by how seriously this club has mismanaged football matters and we are now paying the piper. You reap what you sow.

And the club better be hoping the majority of the supporters stick around. There's only so much crap people can take.

75,000 members Benny? How about keeping the ones you've already got?

One of the biggest issues tonight was the refusal of RFC players to run and spread when we had possession. Fair dinkum, they all stood around like stale bottles of *smile*. Lazy bastards. Conversely, Carlton did this every time they had possession and subsequently had loose players everywhere.

Notwithstanding that, I want Hardwick to be true to his word about kicking skills. I am so *smile* sick of watching RFC sides every year that are 3/4 full of players who can't kick above suburban level.

Ridley said:
One of the biggest issues tonight was the refusal of RFC players to run and spread when we had possession. Fair dinkum, they all stood around like stale bottles of p!ss. Lazy bastards.

:rofl +1 Riddles... I've been preaching this for years. Lazyness has been our achilles heel for the past 10 years.

JUST RUN FFS!

thejinx said:
And the club better be hoping the majority of the supporters stick around. There's only so much crap people can take.

75,000 members Benny? How about keeping the ones you've already got?

We're more of a chance (still next to zero) of having 75000 members than playing in 3 finals series in the next 5 years. That is laughable. Let's start with finding 3 players who can consistently hit a target from 30 metres.

Tiger_4_Life said:
It's gonna be a blood bath and Barry Hall will have a field day

OMG I can barely watch. :duhman

Watching at ground level we were outplayed & out coached(yes Hardwick was thrashed by Ratten) in almost every facet of the game tonight.

Highlights:

Nason. Think we have found a player.

Connors. Showed a bit.

Riewoldt. Always looked menacing. Double teamed for most of the night.

Lowights:
Where do you start?

Thomson is not AFL quality. Back to Coburg for him. Like Hislop another recycled bumble.

Deledio really struggled to impose himself on the game as did Tambling. Not good enough for 6th year players.

Hislop & Nahas. Hello defensive pressure??!!??
Carlton's backmen had a veritable *smile*ing picnic out there.

Cotchin. Looked unfit and slow as a wet week.
We might be protecting his achilles but he's behind where we want him right now and offered little.

Cousins. Worked hard at half back in the first stanza but faded terribly in the 2nd half and made some extremely Richmondesque errors. Probably shouldn't have played but we have seen his best and it wasn't at Richmond.

Simmonds fought hard in the ruck but he and Vickery were ultimately thumped by Kruezer and Warnock.

Newman. Worst game I have seen Chris play in a long, long time.

McGuane didn't hit the contest as hard as I have seen him previously. Another who looked short of a gallop.

Farmer. Eddie Betts BOG for mine.
Long way to go before I am convinced.

Edwards. Too easily brushed off the ball by bigger bodies and continues to make poor decisions.

Tigers of Old said:
OMG I can barely watch. :duhman

Watching at ground level we were outplayed & out coached(yes Hardwick was thrashed by Ratten) in almost every facet of the game tonight.

Highlights:

Nason. Think we have found a player.

Connors. Showed a bit.

Riewoldt. Always looked menacing. Double teamed for most of the night.

Lowights:
Where do you start?

Thomson is not AFL quality. Back to Coburg for him. Like Hislop another recycled bumble.

Deledio really struggled to impose himself on the game as did Tambling. Not good enough for 6th year players.

Hislop & Nahas. Hello defensive pressure??!!??
Carlton's backmen had a veritable *smile*ing picnic out there.

Cotchin. Looked unfit and slow as a wet week.
We might be protecting his achilles but he's behind where we want him right now and offered little.

Cousins. Worked hard at half back in the first stanza but faded terribly in the 2nd half and made some extremely Richmondesque errors. Probably shouldn't have played but we have seen his best and it wasn't at Richmond.

Simmonds fought hard in the ruck but he and Vickery were ultimately thumped by Kruezer and Warnock.

Newman. Worst game I have seen Chris play in a long, long time.

McGuane didn't hit the contest as hard as I have seen him previously. Another who looked short of a gallop.

Farmer. Eddie Betts BOG for mine.
Long way to go before I am convinced.

Edwards. Too easily brushed off the ball by bigger bodies and continues to make poor decisions.

Pretty negative for you ToO. I dunno what to say other than you should've expected this? I think you're being a bit harsh on Thomson, again I'm not a fan but it was by far his best game for Richmond so far and he was one of our better players IMO. Farmer too I thought played well for his first game for the club. |With the amount of times the ball went in there it's not surprising his opponent kicked a few. Also Edwards was on Betts a lot so he's not solely to blame. He has a good kick on him, good poise, he makes good decisions with the ball and looks like he goes in hard. Plenty of upside.

Barnzy said:
Pretty negative for you ToO. I dunno what to say other than you should've expected this?

I expected it alright but I am sure not going to sugar coat it Barnzy.
Neither did Hardwick. We were bad and he knows it. So do you.

You can defend Mitch all you like but Betts was BOG.
None of our small defenders got near him. It continues to be our bogey.

Play Thomson at your peril. Looks much below standard and I can sure see why Chocco wouldn't play him at Port.

Dimma just has to keep turning them over. I think he will.

Tigers of Old said:
Play Thomson at your peril. Looks much below standard and I can sure see why Chocco wouldn't play him at Port.

Exactly. Thomson is a battler who can't kick 40 metres. That is totally unacceptable in this era. No wonder he played so little at Port.