ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

Col.W.Kurtz said:
First live game in years, it was really interesting to get a different perspective.

Connors- is impressive live as he is a penetrating and accurate kick. When he turned the ball over in the 3rd there where no options to kick it to and he was just trying to clear the ball away so the defense could reset. Defensive effort aside, I like him and would give him a lot of footy this year.

IMHO Connors was the biggest plus from last night.

it is frightening how bad a kick Jackson is

simply frightening

he doesn't even need to be under pressure to not even be able to kick a drop punt

for a 'senior' AFL player - frightening

Edwards imo is just not up to it.If you cant handball to a team mate from 5 mtrs you shouldn't be on the park

Last night's game was identical to the practice match against Essendon. Pressure applied to our defence no doubt shows we struggle to move the ball quickly hence it effects the skill level. Our half backs against Essendon (Connors & Edwards) again last night showed either they are not up to it or should be played in another position. Against Essendon we struggled at HF, last night showed that same result. Hardwick will learn from his mistakes and will benefit from other players coming into the squad.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Last night's game was identical to the practice match against Essendon. Pressure applied to our defence no doubt shows we struggle to move the ball quickly hence it effects the skill level. Our half backs against Essendon (Connors & Edwards) again last night showed either they are not up to it or should be played in another position.

Connors? He did well IMHO.

ropeshow said:
it is frightening how bad a kick Jackson is

simply frightening

he doesn't even need to be under pressure to not even be able to kick a drop punt

for a 'senior' AFL player - frightening

Yep. Quite astounding how bad a kick he is but still would play him ahead of Tuck.
Thomson? I can't say the same much as I'd like to.

Tigers of Old said:
Agreed. One of our best but he too was shown up by Betts who must've beaten 3/4 opponents.

How much was Connors on Betts? I thought Edwards was his main opponent although he rarely went near him.

Titch, Jacko and Thompson = poor disposal. Jacko gives his all, but I cringe when he tries to get rid of it.
Other teams just let them recieve the ball, because they know they will get it back.

Jack did well.
Thursty and Moore seemed to do well.
Lids and Bling can't have good games anymore, we need more.
I worry that Chimp will never be fully fit to show us how good he could have been.

Maybe we can offer some mature bodies to GC17; Luke, Tuck,

Felt he was shifted onto him about half way through the last after Shane made a few errors and Betts was cutting loose.
Could be wrong.

Thought Dan was a highlight. Seems to have really lifted his intention over the off season.

Relton = good kick and good pace.

I saw 2 lovely long passes last night. Let's hope he doesn't become another one-hit wonder.

How I saw it......

Shane Edwards - I thought he was really looking to have a breakout year this year after a promising 2nd half to last year. Now I know it's only one game, but he just wasn't up to AFL standard last night. Is not a defender and certainly shouldn't be played on the opposition's most dangerous forward. Simple mistakes like not even hitting teammates with a proper handball is just unacceptable.

Kelvin Moore - Was good I thought. His kicking is a little loopy but his defending was top notch last night on young Henderson, who had to be moved up the field such was Moore's pressure. Would be an incredible help if he could do a similar job on Hall or Brad Johnson next week.

Chris Newman - Wow, what a pathetic effort from our captain. I know sometimes our players don't move and give an option like they should, but he just bombed in hope way too often, and turned the ball over constantly. He needs a rocket up him because that was just an embarrassing performance, he could be one to really decline this year as it doesn't look like he'll be used as much coming out of defence. I wouldn't mind seeing him played on a wing or HF flank.

Mitch Farmer - Doesn't get a lot of it but wasn't too bad for his first Richmond hit-out. Lets not forget that he is not an experienced pick up, he is still very young himself so he will take time. He should have been given more time on Betts IMO but overall I think he did OK last night.

Luke McGuane - Didn't do too bad defensively when he moved onto Waite and kept him to one goal while he was standing him. Offensively though, he's just useless. He shouldn't be allowed to kick the ball less than 40m because his short kicking is disgraceful. I think he has an ok kick when he goes long. He is basically this era's Gaspar as I cringe everytime he gets the ball.

Will Thursfield - People will say he did ok but I just don't think he was any good last night. Although to be fair to him I'm not sure if there was a match-up for him, as Carlton's forwards are all to tall for him. Whoever he played on he had goals kicked on him though so no excuse. Needs to find form quickly.

Dustin Martin - I have quickly worked out that he isn't going to be that flashy player Deledio was when he first burst on the scene, and that's not a bad thing. Works hard in and under the packs and is obviously going to get better with each and every game he plays for the rest of the season. Running with Murphy was a good lesson for him and I hope he gets a similar role in the midfield against Cooney or Boyd next week. Certainly got a ready made AFL body.

Brett Deledio - Just need to get him the ball more, plain and simple. Only fluffed a couple of kicks from my memory and took some good grabs. Instead of playing him across half-back though to rest I would have rathered him up forward at times given we had no marking options up there apart from Riewoldt. Lids has terriffic hands and could have done at least some damage up there. I just hope Hardwick uses him in the midfield which is where he needs to take control of games.

Ben Nason - Incredibly rare looking creature. My mate and I have already penned a nickname for him...'Sweetheart'.  Has a dip which is all we can ask for at this early stage of his career. Certainly showed signs and hopefully he stays in the side for the next month or so. Finds space and has a bit of goal sense about him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with nerves when he lined up for his first goal and kicked into the man on the mark, but apart from that and a few silly handballs he was pretty good I thought.

Tom Hislop - I thought he was OK early, was in everything and seemed to really give a contest, but he just goes missing too much.....although playing in our forward line will do that to you. If he can't make it as a forward though I reckon he's career's finished.

Jack Riewoldt - Had far too much pressure and expectation heaped on him by the coaching staff to take the entire load of being our only Key Forward for the night. Fought admirably and still managed to get his two goals even though the opportunities weren't plentiful. I reckon this boy is in for a good year if we can find a foil for him.

Richard Tambling - Tagged out of it by one of the game's best taggers in Carrazzo, which was disappointing. I feel like we've almost come full circle, as you'll remember last year against the Dogs he had that absolute shocker of a game. He needs to turn it around next week. At least he had 9 tackles, most of them really good too.

Relton Roberts - I'd so love to say that he should be a permanent fixture in our side, but he's just too unfit at the moment. In saying that though, he managed to break loose of his opponent and did work up the ground a lot. So it's not like he was all puffed out from just playing in a pocket. Also I must say I haven't really seen these exquisite skills everyone has been talking about, I'll put that down to first game jitters though.

Mitch Morton - Pretty much made to play as a key forward last night and it doesn't suit him. Was no chance in the air on the Blues Bower which is why we need a big forward in the side ASAP so he can play on the third tall. Still managed a couple though which given the opportunites was a fair effort IMO.

Robin Nahas - Don't like him in the midfield. I'm happy for him to play as a bit of a lead up forward, but he does his best work inside 50, and he was barely in there all night. Had Joseph sitting on him which didn't help, but yeah, he needs to be stationed inside the 50.

Troy Simmonds - The first quarter I thought he was good actually. Provided a contest and was winning and providing some clearances. But what happened after quarter time was one of the most insipid performances I've ever seen, topped off by him pretty much walking off the ground to the interchange bench. Is far too slow and his stamina is p!ss poor. Would have much prefered him to be played at Full Forward all night rather than in the middle, because he just has no athletic ability. A real flop.

Daniel Jackson - I admire his endeavour, I really do, but I'll breathe a huge sigh of relief when he is no longer a part of our 22. His kicking can be summed up by his shot on goal, just shinned it in comical fashion out on the full. If only some of our other senior players busted a gut like he does, but unfortunately he's just not a gifted footballer which will eventually become his downfall. Damn shame really.

Trent Cotchin - Really, really worried about this guy. You can see just how good he is when he gets the ball, its almost as if time slows down because he has so much time when he gets it. But geez he just looks slow out there, god I hope he gets his body right. His kicking was fantastic last night.

Tyrone Vickery - Great that he has been getting games as a young ruck, and he's obviously going to take time, but I hate watching him play. Troy Simmonds-esque with his mobility and rarely wins the footy if its below knee level. I'm obviously willing to give him time....but I just don't know if traits like mobility can be improved???

Ben Cousins - Clearly isn't match-fit IMO, and made a few little errors, but he is still a class above everyone else in our side bar Deledio when he gets the footy. Pops up at the important moments and gets the job done. We can't rely on him though.

Daniel Connors - The one major positive for me tonight. Seems to have inherited Bowden's role in the backline, except Connors is much more craftier and better with the footy. Looks like he should be playing for Geelong or someone out there and really stood out as one of our best disposers. He is in for a great year and I'm excited for him and his future....he's going to be a great player.

Adam Thomson - Daniel Jackson clone for mine, but I give him a bit more hope than Jackson. Can't fault his courage or hardness and loves a contest, even gets forward on occasion. Kicking needs work but for now I think we should persist as he is someone we could really use in the guts.

Tigers of Old said:
Felt he was shifted onto him about half way through the last after Shane made a few errors and Betts was cutting loose.
Could be wrong.

Dunno about that cos we left early. Edwards was the main opponent for the night though. I'm not sure if he played much in the last quarter. I think Roberts might have had a bit of a go on him then too?

rosy23 said:
Dunno about that cos we left early. Edwards was the main opponent for the night though. I'm not sure if he played much in the last quarter. I think Roberts might have had a bit of a go on him then too?

Yep Farmer started on him and was changed up after Carlton exploded out of the blocks & then Edwards had a crack on Eddie for most of the night. Betts always looked lethal and as others have said Tambling was probably the guy to go to him but it never eventuated.

There are soo many players in our team who would not get a game with other clubs.
'Going forward', Hardwick will just have to keep trying them out & even if several players in our squad come up short at least he'll know and change them out at years end.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Connors is just a stopgap, doesn't have it and is not the future. I'll be happy to revisit this subject as time goes by.

I'm with you GPB, has not got it, full stop. Move on. Look at the replay. So many shortcomings I don't know where to start. In a nutshell, does not possess alleged class, and doesn't have desire to make it.

Positives, JR, pat on the back. Nasin, goer who seems to think, Cotch, wish DH would give him more spells.

Negatives, lots, but Tambling for me the big one. The worse the situation is, the more he goes missing and less likely he is to win a 50-50 ball or do something that reuqires some skill and /or toughness. Ruck division, geez.

skiptomystu said:
How I saw it......

Daniel Connors - The one major positive for me tonight. Seems to have inherited Bowden's role in the backline, except Connors is much more craftier and better with the footy. Looks like he should be playing for Geelong or someone out there and really stood out as one of our best disposers. He is in for a great year and I'm excited for him and his future....he's going to be a great player.

bizaare. I must be on crazy pills.

Barnzy said:
Connors was good. People need to open their eyes.

they open bro. People need to watch the play more closely. Mark my words, not an AFL footy player.