ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ROUND 1 Richmond V Carlton Game Day Thread

geoffryprettyboy said:
Mate, as much as i respect your posts, this has to be one of your poor one's.

Hislop is not up to it, full stop. Hardwick should banish him to Coburg and never come back.

i'll have more to say about the game after i watch a replay tomorrow

We are just not fit enough, not skilled enough, not strong enough.

Once fatigue set in, it just amplified the poor skill base.

Not upset...as I went to the game not expecting anything more. I mean, guys who we have been watching for 5, 6, 7 years are not suddenly going to be able to kick and dispose of the ball with little or no error after one preseason...

geoffryprettyboy said:
Mate, as much as i respect your posts, this has to be one of your poor one's.

Hislop is not up to it, full stop. Hardwick should banish him to Coburg and never come back.

Agree. Hislop is a total spud. Treacle slow and can't kick. He has aggression but what's the point of that when you can't get near a contest. What is it with this club and recruiting other clubs duds??
FFS, some are happy with Thomson tonight. He's a midfielder and had 14 *smile* possessions!!! Yeah great output. And he can't even kick 40 *smile* metres!!! Jesus H Christ. Why do we recruit players who can not kick??? Thomson played 28 games in 4 years at Port Adelaide. Surely that says something. But no, we can make him better at RFC. What a joke.

shamekha said:
i do have a questions though.. Does Lids want to play at Richmond? When is his contract up?

i thought Hislop did ok, which is a bit different from most people.

You want to get rid of Lids & persevere with Hislop?

What kills us, and has over the past 10 years, is our inability (or unwillingness) to run...

Why is it that our oppositions always seem like they have 2 extra guys on the field. It's because we don't run! We don't chase!

So many of the players on our list are lazy as hell, and hope that if their man runs off them, that a teammate will pick up the slack. It's just not good enough, and I hope Hardwick stamps out this slack mentality.

Our opposition will always have better disposals because we apply no pressure, and because our players are too lazy to run into space when we have the ball, we're always under the pump.

JUST F*#&(N RUN!

All the usual suspects, as always, were terrible tonight. But I was impressed with Nason. Thought he did extremely well considering his size, and inexperience.

Morton and Reiwoldt definitely have the talent to be damaging, but they need another 1 or 2 big guys down there to share the load. Post/Astbury/Polak... just get someone big down there, and quick.

As for Vickery - well... that was a terrible terrible display. Hopefully it was Round 1 jitters, but I can't recall him really doing anything worthwhile last year either...

I went expecting mediocrity and my expectations were met. 21 to go.

shamekha said:
i'll have more to say about the game after i watch a replay tomorrow

Dont need to watch a replay. it's already etched in the 'haunt' section of the brain.

tigertim said:
I went expecting mediocrity and my expectations were met. 21 to go.

I certainly wasn't expecting a win, but I was looking forward to seeing some of the defensive pressure that we saw during the preseason.

Instead they played as loose as they did under Wallace.

I feel sorry for Dimma... He's got a long long road ahead of him with this list...

Smoking Aces said:
Gibbs was actually tagging Deledio. Says alot about how Deledio went tonight.

gee tough gig being a Carlton tagger tonight. Put Lids in a Carlton jumper tagging Gibbs in a Richmond jumper and watch what would happen.

Lids was fine tonight and will win our B anf F by a minute

CK said:
You want to get rid of Lids & persevere with Hislop?

Didnt say i wanted him to leave. just wondering if he really wants to be there. Tonight he didn't seem to commit as much as i think he should have. as he did for the first half of last year..

Ridley said:
FFS, some are happy with Thomson tonight. He's a midfielder and had 14 *smile*ing possessions!!! Yeah great output. And he can't even kick 40 *smile*ing metres!!! Jesus H Christ. Why do we recruit players who can not kick??? Thomson played 28 games in 4 years at Port Adelaide. Surely that says something. But no, we can make him better at RFC. What a joke.

Thought Thomson did ok but i did notice when he was on the wing and punched a ball he should have marked, i thought he heard footsteps and squibbed it a bit. but i'll let it go because of the knee to the head he copped in the praccy match..

Maybe they were all trying to concentrate on the new game plan and forgot about the basics

i'm not too disappointed 50 points in 2010 is not the same as 50 points 10 years ago.

Here's my take...

Saw the same turnovers that killed us during TWs reign.
Saw the same no talking to one another.
Saw the same lack of intensity
Saw the same lack of desire
Saw the same lack of leadership on the field
Was'nt sure I could see the new game plan

However....

I will not pass judgement on a bunch of kids in the headlites and Carlton are'nt really that good anyway, hell if we played Geelong or the Dogs we would have been flogged.

I believe our improvement will come from two areas :

i. Delisting more established players and replacing them with more quality kids and getting the games into them along with physical conditioning.
ii. Actually DEVELOPING these kids. Really developing them - physcially, mentally, and the right ATTITUDE.
iii. Having leadership that DOES NOT ACCEPT mediocrity....ZERO tolerance for LOSING. What do you guys think changed at St Kilda ? Some heads will be on the chopping block with this attitude but thats fine - its what needs to be done. RFC has always been at its best and most successful/lethal when adopting this attitude and making the ruthless and hard decisions....we need the same ruthless and uncompromising attitude NOW. Not tomorrow, next round, next month or next year. NOW. I hope Hardwick can deliver.

How many of you can tell me the amount of decent kids that have passed thru Punt Rd over the last 25 yrs that amounted to NADA??? Anthony Banik anyone? And more like him. Something is seriously wrong at the RFC...I hope Hardwick can change the culture and not take any *smile* from anyone.

If we can snag a KPP over the duration to help out it will be a huge help. We need LEADERSHIP sorely, Newman was A W O L.....I can't understand why he's captain. Geez a kid like Cotch shows more leadership qualities than Newman. :eek:

Flame on....

Rat

Merveille said:
Lids was fine tonight

I must have been at a different game then......he was far from fine......Gibbs and Murphy as No1 picks played like it, our bloke didnt....simple as...

ratbastad said:
I believe our improvement will come from two areas :

i. Delisting more established players and replacing them with more quality kids and getting the games into them along with physical conditioning.
ii. Actually DEVELOPING these kids. Really developing them - physcially, mentally, and the right ATTITUDE.
iii. Having leadership that DOES NOT ACCEPT mediocrity....ZERO tolerance for LOSING. What do you guys think changed at St Kilda ? Some heads will be on the chopping block with this attitude but thats fine - its what needs to be done. RFC has always been at its best and most successful/lethal when adopting this attitude and making the ruthless and hard decisions....we need the same ruthless and uncompromising attitude NOW. Not tomorrow, next round, next month or next year. NOW. I hope Hardwick can deliver.

Not trying to pull the *smile*, but found this amusing.

Otherwise, I agree with the post

shamekha said:
Thought Thomson did ok but i did notice when he was on the wing and punched a ball he should have marked, i thought he heard footsteps and squibbed it a bit. but i'll let it go because of the knee to the head he copped in the praccy match..

Look Thomson was OK but he's just a battler and his kicking is just shithouse. My point is why have we continually traded and wasted draft picks on players like Thomson who have such obvious flaws. They will take us nowhere. We now find ourselves in this position where we have finally embraced the concept of rebuilding through the draft but irony of ironies we can't do it because the *smile* expansion teams will take all the good picks in the next two years.

We are seriously *smile*.