Possible fine for Dusty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Possible fine for Dusty

richardson.jpg

jb03 said:
How can they not have made a decision by now? Nothing should be happen but if he is to be slugged $2k then just do it.

Got a bad feeling they're weighing up a suspension, to let players know that they can't rely on the Goodes and Jetta decisions as precedents.

I would've thought they're putting it off til people forget about and let it go. Don't want the fuss over the comparison with the Goodes thing.

Azza said:
Got a bad feeling they're weighing up a suspension, to let players know that they can't rely on the Goodes and Jetta decisions as precedents.

Surely not. Evans said on radio that it was at the low end of the scale. Couldn't suspend him without the right of appeal this late in the week. (Surely)

Brodders17 said:
One action is considered offensive.
One action is considered a celebration of culture.

you may disagree with this, but that is what many/some think is the difference.

Honestly not stirring the pot. I would like to know your opinion...

Do you think Adams action was premeditated?
Do you think Adam performed the action to celebrate culture or out of frustration of the booing crowds?

Brodders17 said:

The indisputable fact is that the " celebration of culture " ended up with security descending on the crowd.

joegarra said:
The indisputable fact is that the " celebration of culture " ended up with security descending on the crowd.

Why the scary quotes Joseph? Do you know this not to be true? Do you know more about the "cutural significance" than the people upon whose culture it is based? This has nothing to do with Adam Goodes. Dusty had a suspended fine hanging over him because of the "hand-cuff" gesture. Another outward display was always going to end in his paying a fine.

I dont think people will be up in arms in he's fined, especially re - Goodes.

Two weeks ago, Eddie Betts took a mark on the boundary line, and a Bombers supporter was flat out booing, again and again, hanging over the fence.
Eddie kicked the goal, and didn't even look at the bloke.

What was done? Nothing.

Bill James said:
Even cursory research would discover that Dusty's gesture has a long tradition in my culture.

I'm not arguing that there are not double standards, I actually think there are.

WesternTiger said:
70,000 plus supports storming AFL house wouldn't look good!
70,000 two fingered salutes to the AFL chairmans box would be more fun.

Brodders17 said:

They can think all they like but are they informed enough to know? It's not a judgement for the AFL to make and apply different rules to. Adam said he was angry, he said it was a war dance and meant to be threatening.

Not all aboriginals agree with it.

Views like mine, that are contrary to the representations being made by the rabid, name-calling media, are ignored or rejected by all those who simply want to brand every incident or comment with an ‘ism’, because the object of their outrage is never to stimulate an educated debate or a discussion, but rather they wish to simply stand on their given podium and recite their narcissistic lecture, a pointless exercise for them to reinforce their followers that they alone are a bastion of cultural relevance, understanding and compassion. Sadly, theses ‘enlightened’ folks also tend to take their cues on history from the most removed people of a culture, merely because they tend to occupy the cubicle or apartment next to them, or speak with the most authoritarian voice or sense of victimhood – a sure sign that they must know what they are on about, according to our current high standards of journalism in this country – instead of seeking the truth and looking for those with knowledge that comes from a life of lived tradition, rather than being well removed from it.

I used to dance as a kid. Most of the kids who grew up in our house did it, but I have no intention of my own children doing the same. My reluctance has nothing to do with them being of mixed heritage though, and everything to do with cultural appropriation. I said I used to ‘dance’ as a kid, because that is really all it was. I was dressed in a lap-lap and painted up, was taught the moves the rest of the kids were doing, but it was all just a show. The dances were not ones passed on to us from our Elders, performed for a specific reason or during a time of unique and special celebration that led me to understand my culture in a meaningful way, but rather a collection of dance moves put together by a choreographer who may or may not have had a distant Aboriginal ancestor she found out about in her mid-thirties. A few documentaries and books from the library later, she had all the cultural awareness she felt she needed, and as a bunch of children not yet trusted with much knowledge, we didn’t know any better. We danced for smiling crowds of educated, enlightened people who clapped politely while murmuring “Oh, how cultural”, as they watched us enraptured. I would smile back at them and dance harder, oblivious to what I was doing and simply happy to receive positive praise and attention from a crowd of people I didn’t even know. But I was no better than a performing monkey to them, and for all their education and compassion, those crowds were the most racist people of all. Their wisdom and understanding of Aboriginal people and culture was a passing fetish, and in an effort to appease them, I was walking all over my own culture for their amusement, all of us completely ignorant to this heartbreaking fact.

After becoming a man, I learned better. I learned that our chants, and our dances are sacred. They are powerful and special secrets, not entertainment for the masses or political statements designed to make sure you get yet another mention in the nightly news. I also took it to heart that the title of ‘Warrior’ is like respect. It is always earned, not merely given because of the colour of your skin or your heritage. I am proud to say that some of my own ancestors include great Warriors - men who fought and died to protect their families and their way of life, and faced enormous battles that I could never fully comprehend from where I sit today, in a relative position of privilege by comparison, however you look at the statistics and facts. It would make a mockery of the suffering and heroism of my ancestors to assign a title of great reverence and historical significance, such as ‘Warrior’, to a person whose fame and heroism is derived from little more than the ability to show up a few weekends a year and kick a leather ball around an overly groomed piece of paddock. Link

rosy23 said:
They can think all they like but are they informed enough to know? It's not a judgement for the AFL to make and apply different rules to. Adam said he was angry, he said it was a war dance and meant to be threatening.

Not all aboriginals agree with it.

You asked why the 2 actions are viewed differently. I explained.

Of course not all Aboriginals agreed. I doubt you would find any topic they all do. Just as with any race.

Maybe internally they're having trouble justifying a fine in light of the spear throwing? It's certainly not easy to make a clear distinction between the two in a way that would appease the masses.

Or maybe they're simply waiting until the end of the week so it doesn't get as much air time when they announce the fine.

Chimptastic said:
Maybe internally they're having trouble justifying a fine in light of the spear throwing? It's certainly not easy to make a clear distinction between the two in a way that would appease the masses.

Or maybe they're simply waiting until the end of the week so it doesn't get as much air time when they announce the fine.

Brace yourselves for a week off