Possible fine for Dusty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Possible fine for Dusty

rosy23 said:
Indeed and he sent a far better message than Adam Goodes. He clearly showed he was black and proud of it. No blaming others for the past, no abuse, no lecturing. Goodes even tried to imitate Winmar's pointing to his skin once but it was a fizzer. Winmar's was a spontaneous action/reaction. Goodes' was pre-meditated for maximum effect.
Whatever you think of what Adam Goodes did on the field Rosy he does an enormous amount for the indigenous population off the field. He didn't become Australian of the year because he could play football ( although some seem to think he did) he won it through his work with white Ribbon and the GO Foundation ( with Michael O'Loughlin) and many other things he does in the indigenous community.

What Nicky Winmar did years ago was very courageous and ground breaking no doubt but Adam Goodes is a wonderful community leader and that seems to have been forgotten in this.

I was talking about winmar's show of support for goodes in answer to nitros question

Sintiger said:
Whatever you think of what Adam Goodes did on the field Rosy he does an enormous amount for the indigenous population off the field. He didn't become Australian of the year because he could play football ( although some seem to think he did) he won it through his work with white Ribbon and the GO Foundation ( with Michael O'Loughlin) and many other things he does in the indigenous community.

What Nicky Winmar did years ago was very courageous and ground breaking no doubt but Adam Goodes is a wonderful community leader and that seems to have been forgotten in this.

I haven't forgotten. I'm sure he does a lot of good. I don't think blaming and shaming and confronting or being ashamed to be Australian is the best way to go about it in times where the past was long ago and reconciliation and equality is the future in my opinion Adam has done more damage than good. Michael Long's positive actions are doing far better for the future. It's pretty obvious to me by the amount of public support he gets compared to Adam. No where near the angst and division. More us together than us against them.

rosy23 said:
I haven't forgotten. I'm sure he does a lot of good. I don't think blaming and shaming and confronting or being ashamed to be Australian is the best way to go about it in times where the past was long ago and reconciliation and equality is the future in my opinion Adam has done more damage than good. Michael Long's positive actions are doing far better for the future. It's pretty obvious to me by the amount of public support he gets compared to Adam. No where near the angst and division. More us together than us against them.
Fair enough, your opinion. Whilst I suspect he could have done things a little better he is actually doing something really positive in his life and plenty don't.

There is nothing like the majority telling the minority how they should act about their outrage.

Apart from myself and Rosy, which posters think Adam Goodes was less effective than previous role models?

Goodes is a dud when it comes to this IMO. His every action does not need to be defended when it's clearly been poorly executed.

Chimptastic said:
Apart from myself and Rosy, which posters think Adam Goodes was less effective than previous role models?

Goodes is a dud when it comes to this IMO. His every action does not need to be defended when it's clearly been poorly executed.

I'm not indigenous so I have no idea if Goodes is more effective, what ever that might be, then previous role models.

His manner and actions are too polarized. Going by the confusion generated in the public not only this year but throughout his footy past makes him a less effective role model than many others. My opinion would be that "we" love or hate him. He has been unable to connect with the masses and the sideshow this year is evidence he is a much better footballer than a public figure. I don't see him standing up for the world he lives in now, his actions don't bring us together.
The booing was lost on Adam and many others, racism may be a small part of this reaction but it's not the main reason for it. It's unfortunately the easiest card to play and is meant to scare people from continuing from it. The biggest issue with it continuing has been missed. The masses do not connect it with racism hence they will boo him for the same reasons they have previously, Adams actions and reactions.
WA has probably the best Aboriginal sporting culture in the AFL. Some may argue. Every club I have played in coached or been associated with across WA has embraced aboriginal players. This is not a racist state when it comes to footy. The Subi crowd copped
Heaps from the booing. I can say as a tigers member that this is nothing unusual for the public at this ground. They should cop heaps every week but it was racist wasn't it! So it got headlines again.
Hopefully his achievements are recognized for what they are and in the future he proves to be a brilliant role model for all.

rosy23 said:

Totally agree with this. Michael Long and Nicky Winmar gain way more respect from me.

The Australian of the Year Award should never have been awarded to a person still playing their sport in a professional capacity.

They should have given it to Long or Winmar (or whoever) but NOT to a guy still aligned directly with a single club.

Why did Goodes get it and not Michael Long???

Fighting Fury said:
The Australian of the Year Award should never have been awarded to a person still playing their sport in a professional capacity.

They should have given it to Long or Winmar (or whoever) but NOT to a guy still aligned directly with a single club.

Why did Goodes get it and not Michael Long???
I suggest you have a read of Adam Goodes CV, there is also a lot of precedent for professional sports person Including pat rafter , Steve Waugh, Cathy freeman.