Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

He is not physical enough for his size. He can play because he is pretty quick. He only plays as a 3rd tall. Gibcus solves this problem.
Even as third tall he needs to sort out a lot of things about his own game. It’s not the quality of his opponent that makes him lose contests it’s him.

Reactions: 1 users
I was finally convinced last year that he a genuine reliable tall but boy has he fallen away back half of this year. As others say probably a symptom of the demise of the whole on field quality. But plenty he can work on himself.

Even as third tall he needs to sort out a lot of things about his own game. It’s not the quality of his opponent that makes him lose contests it’s him.
Agree - he’s 198cm & athletic & generally coordinated. But he gets lost in positioning too often. Loses touch/bearings with opponent & has no idea where the ball is. That’s disastrous.

Reactions: 4 users
He's played 46 games. Isn't the Golden rule not to judge until one gets to that magic number of 50 games played (albeit their age)?

So there's some recency bias here, but understandably so.

Average disposals for his position, but above average for disposal efficiency. We all know he's tidy by foot.

* He's considered elite for spoils
* he's considered elite for 1% ers
* he's considered elite for contested one on one's
Physically his closing speed is very good for his size. Don't think he's much aerially.

He's finished the year poorly, as have a lot of the team. But you don't average that across a year, if there's no talent. I think folks are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. What if his start to the season was poor like the end, and the end of the season good like the start? I think people's opinions would be different.

I think we should take a key defender if we can get one, because Tyler Young does not excite me and Gibcus is a risk physically. Blight doesn't look AFL quality, but is definitely above VFL. We are one injury away from being back at ground zero.
Edit: fixed typo

While this is true, some of his efforts where he gets pushed out of the way are simply woeful. Really needs to improve this aspect of his game.

Has the tools, needs to learn how to use them.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Agree - he’s 198cm & athletic & generally coordinated. But he gets lost in positioning too often. Loses touch/bearings with opponent & has no idea where the ball is. That’s disastrous.
I think it is a coaching issue That is, he watches his opponent to much and not the ball. All gun backs watch the ball first and have an awareness of there opponent second.

Reactions: 2 users
Miller is a big man, a big unit, a co ordinated player for his size, has decent skills,

But he has hardly any physical presence. You dont notice him the way you should notice him.

He needs mongrel in him, he needs to go at the footy and the contested pack at the footy mot waiting for ther ball to come to him.

Too many Tigers players wait for the footy weay too many reactive players no t enough pro active players.

Pro Active players and a pro active game plan brought the RFC 3 flags,.

Needs to up his presence and go harder at the footy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Miller is a big man, a big unit, a co ordinated player for his size, has decent skills,

But he has hardly any physical presence. You dont notice him the way you should notice him.

He needs mongrel in him, he needs to go at the footy and the contested pack at the footy mot waiting for ther ball to come to him.

Too many Tigers players await for the footy weay too many reactive players no t enough pro active players.

Pro Active players and a pro active game plan brought the RFC 3 flags,.

Needs to up his presence and go harder at the footy.
I have wondered if it was a gameday / coaching thing where our players stand off instead of attacking the pill. It has been noticeable for a greater part of the season to forget

They need to show him clips of Grimes on repeat and teach him how to accelerate rather than decelerate into a contest

Reactions: 6 users
Big summer for Ben , he’s drop of in form over the second part of the season has left his spot in the 22 for rd 1 venerable imho, if Gibcus wasn’t coming back from a knee I’d say Miller would be out .

Plenty of possible options to replace Miller on the list , hopefully Benny gets his mojo back

Reactions: 2 users
Big summer for Ben , he’s drop of in form over the second part of the season has left his spot in the 22 for rd 1 venerable imho, if Gibcus wasn’t coming back from a knee I’d say Miller would be out .

Plenty of possible options to replace Miller on the list , hopefully Benny gets his mojo back
This last season he has improved out of sight overall so lets hope we see further improvement over the close season. He can do it especially if someone changes his mindset

Reactions: 1 user
This last season he has improved out of sight overall so lets hope we see further improvement over the close season. He can do it especially if someone changes his mindset
Biggest queries ive had on Ben’s career has been his commitment at the high ball , thought he improved dramatically early in the season , no doubt a coincidence, however after his contract extension imho he dropped of his intensity

Reactions: 1 user
Are the club trying to entice WCE with a brilliant, excellent, the best key back in Melbourne to replace Barrass?

Being an Astbury clone would be my target.
Both Dave and Dylan had great marking judgement and could manouvre opponents out of the way to take defensive marks. Miller is not good at these skills. He's been with us long enough to see them so is it a coaching issue? Perhaps he should stick to defensive spoiling for a while with a 'golden fist' like Rance used to do?

So there's some recency bias here, but understandably so.

Average disposals for his position, but above average for disposal efficiency. We all know he's tidy by foot.

* He's considered elite for spoils
* he's considered elite for 1% ers
* he's considered elite for contested one on one's
Physically his closing speed is very good for his size. Don't think he's much aerially.

He's finished the year poorly, as have a lot of the team. But you don't average that across a year, if there's no talent. I think folks are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. What if his start to the season was poor like the end, and the end of the season good like the start? I think people's opinions would be different.

I think we should take a key defender if we can get one, because Tyler Young does not excite me and Gibcus is a risk physically. Blight doesn't look AFL quality, but is definitely above VFL. We are one injury away from being back at ground zero.
Edit: fixed typo
Overall I think Ben's had a decent season & has been one of our most improved players.

Playing in our backline this year has been a challenge for even our best.
Stalwarts Broad, Vlastuin & Rioli can hold their heads high but few else.

It's been such a disjointed season with players being shuffled in & out.
Miller has taken on some big roles this year, probably above his pay grade to be fair.
My hope is that he'll be better for the amount of work he's had this year.
He's played 21 games in 2024. Previous best was 13.

I always hark back to what our previous Premiership defences talked about & that was playing a lot of games together as a unit & building trust in team mates so they didn't even have to think. Even the most challenging of circumstances they could work their way out of trouble.

Rebuilding a defence like that is going to take time & experience. Yet we're still on the tail end of what was..

Reactions: 7 users
I always hark back to what our previous Premiership defences talked about & that was playing a lot of games together as a unit & building trust in team mates so they didn't even have to think. Even the most challenging of circumstances they could work their way out of trouble.
This holds true not just for the defenders, but both the mid and forward groups as well, then add to that the connection and understanding that the defence has with the mids and the mids with the forwards for the field transition process. Much of the games are played virtually by instinct these days, that's why coaches rarely make much in the way of tactical moves on game day, it *smile* with the positioning, structure n system that they drill over and over again.
We got the pleasure of watching what happens when massive injuries rip apart any possibility of properly initiating any structures and systems all year long. We were basically forced to use every player on our senior list while having only 1 player play the entire season. Even a Carlscum has wobbled n virtually fallen out of flag contention because of their injury issues, just barely arsed their spot into the finals. Smelbourne, niggles to Gawn, Brayshaw gone from their mid while Clarry has struggled with his issues n then Peetracca = massive mid field problems, chuck in some Lever n May injuries n the years turned to *smile*.
Structure's a little bit wonky, players aren't quite in the spot they're supposed to be in, players hesitate for a half second because someone's stagnant when they should be moving, players begin to lose a little trust in what they're supposed to be doing. There's a hundred things can go wrong n it doesn't take much to end up looking fairly incompetent in a hurry.

All the coaches have their preferred game styles that they drill down into their players over a few years and then if it's a little new or innovative and most importantly they have the overall talent and discipline to execute properly. They play finals n chase flags.
Moggies high speed n control flicking the ball around for 500 possessions per game.
Clarko's cluster to strangle and pinch a flag, then his old fashioned hard nut horrible hawks, with a batch of premium players.
Lyon's control system that couldn't quite get him a flag with the Saints ( good list ) never worked well at the Frockers ( moderate list )
Dimma's chaos theory, just get it forward n lock it in.
Mitchell n whatever he's got the Hawkers doing these days, all of a sudden it's clicked n they're barn storming this year

I have been a long time supporter of Ben Minson. I rate him now a likely delist in 25 or 26. And sincerely hope we have better prospects by then.

As for Young and Whatsisface they look like Clarke potatoes to me. And miles worse than Minson. Leading to another thread.