Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Even as third tall he needs to sort out a lot of things about his own game. It’s not the quality of his opponent that makes him lose contests it’s him.
You're correct. Miller is hopeless as a backman. He may be serviceable as a second ruck but otherwise DUD DELIST

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry kids Miller was my kid to watch fir the last 3 yrs.
He can't read high balls,, he is always out pointed in 1 on 1 and has no presence in defence. Fowards aren't scared.
I see Miller and Young to
Thursfield and McGunane.
We need a Astbury and Grimes to replace them

Reactions: 3 users
This holds true not just for the defenders, but both the mid and forward groups as well, then add to that the connection and understanding that the defence has with the mids and the mids with the forwards for the field transition process. Much of the games are played virtually by instinct these days, that's why coaches rarely make much in the way of tactical moves on game day, it *smile* with the positioning, structure n system that they drill over and over again.
We got the pleasure of watching what happens when massive injuries rip apart any possibility of properly initiating any structures and systems all year long. We were basically forced to use every player on our senior list while having only 1 player play the entire season. Even a Carlscum has wobbled n virtually fallen out of flag contention because of their injury issues, just barely arsed their spot into the finals. Smelbourne, niggles to Gawn, Brayshaw gone from their mid while Clarry has struggled with his issues n then Peetracca = massive mid field problems, chuck in some Lever n May injuries n the years turned to *smile*.
Structure's a little bit wonky, players aren't quite in the spot they're supposed to be in, players hesitate for a half second because someone's stagnant when they should be moving, players begin to lose a little trust in what they're supposed to be doing. There's a hundred things can go wrong n it doesn't take much to end up looking fairly incompetent in a hurry.

All the coaches have their preferred game styles that they drill down into their players over a few years and then if it's a little new or innovative and most importantly they have the overall talent and discipline to execute properly. They play finals n chase flags.
Moggies high speed n control flicking the ball around for 500 possessions per game.
Clarko's cluster to strangle and pinch a flag, then his old fashioned hard nut horrible hawks, with a batch of premium players.
Lyon's control system that couldn't quite get him a flag with the Saints ( good list ) never worked well at the Frockers ( moderate list )
Dimma's chaos theory, just get it forward n lock it in.
Mitchell n whatever he's got the Hawkers doing these days, all of a sudden it's clicked n they're barn storming this year
Good observations TM. This year I have especially noticed this a lot..."Structure's a little bit wonky, players aren't quite in the spot they're supposed to be in, players hesitate for a half second because someone's stagnant when they should be moving, players begin to lose a little trust in what they're supposed to be doing."
Been really obvious when a player with the ball is expecting a team mate to be on the move to receive a handball but they're standing watching, so the handball is given to them anyway, but so late they are tackled and momentum lost. Not only caused by personnel changes but being forced to use players with less ability to read the play and react quickly enough to keep the ball moving forward. Hopefully we can draft some top liners this year and next, with the skills we need around the packs and across the ground.

Structure's a little bit wonky, players aren't quite in the spot they're supposed to be in, players hesitate for a half second because someone's stagnant when they should be moving, players begin to lose a little trust in what they're supposed to be doing. There's a hundred things can go wrong n it doesn't take much to end up looking fairly incompetent in a hurry.
this is pretty much bang on what it looks like is happening

Reactions: 2 users
Miller/Brown & Banks all hate making body contact when contesting in the air.
Less so banks but it irks me no end with the other 2.
Bordering on being soft.

Reactions: 1 user
Miller/Brown & Banks all hate making body contact when contesting in the air.
Less so banks but it irks me no end with the other 2.
Bordering on being soft.
I reckon Brown will improve his physical presence nec year after his shoulder surgery but Miller is soft in some games but not in others.

I'm sorry kids Miller was my kid to watch fir the last 3 yrs.
He can't read high balls,, he is always out pointed in 1 on 1 and has no presence in defence. Fowards aren't scared.
I see Miller and Young to
Thursfield and McGunane.
We need a Astbury and Grimes to replace them
Down the line Dave would struggle a bit now I reckon in this current incarnation. Footskills imperative. Miller’s disposal skills are vastly underrated on here.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I rather have 'down the line,' Dav then Miller
That's fine. Stick with your nostagic take.
I'd take Ben's disposal every day.
Castagnated too a victim of the current incarnation of the game.
McIntosh too being weeded out.
Can't carry players with poor foot skills.
Clinical over chaos.
Turnovers are severely punished now.

Last edited:
That's fine. Stick with your nostagic take.
I'd take Ben's disposal every day.
Castagnated too a victim of the current incarnation of the game.
McIntosh too being weeded out.
Can't carry players with p
Clinical over chaos.
Turnovers are severely punished now.

Chaos still winning finals over clinical.

Look at Collingwood last year.

Interesting to see how this years finals go.

GWS being the biggest exponents of chaos football. Hawthorn another.

Chaos still winning finals over clinical.

Look at Collingwood last year.

Interesting to see how this years finals go.

GWS being the biggest exponents of chaos football. Hawthorn another.
Look at Collingwood this year. A one-year reign doesn't warrant a style.

The point was, that when the stakes and pace goes up in big finals, outside Geelong in 22 (who got a charmed run through) clinical football hasn't got it done.

Even Geelong put more dare in their game.

Until we see otherwise It's atill the teams that can play Chaos football and bring the most pressure that have won out.

Reactions: 4 users
Injuries destroyed them. No team can compete when missing too many key players. If they had their full list for most of the year they are Top 4. Easily.

We make the 8 if we have a full list to choose from for most of the year.

Injuries are the single most critical factor in success.

Reactions: 1 users
The point was, that when the stakes and pace goes up in big finals, outside Geelong in 22 (who got a charmed run through) clinical football hasn't got it done.

Even Geelong put more dare in their game.

Until we see otherwise It's atill Chaos and pressure that has won out.
Yep. Pressure & fast ball movement.

Reactions: 4 users