Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

I think most of the rumoured deals are "done" in principle a long way out from trade week. How else can interested parties actually plan an attack. Of course, it's never done until its done but you can bet your house on it that all of Bolton Rioli Baker and Graham would have a clear indication of what might transpire.
If the don't want to play for the club because we are currently basket cases and not prepared to help get us back where we want to be, don't fight it, just show them the door but play hardball on compensation. These four should always remember, the grass is not always greener at another club and we will survive and eventually prosper when they go.

Reactions: 4 users
Cecily Strong Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
Thank Shai for his service.
He should be proud of his accomplishments but it’s time he went home….

Reactions: 1 user
Physically he’s our most skilled player, yes.

But mentally - look at how easily he’s folded up this year when he’s been challenged! He has the air of a man with nothing to prove, no appetite for a challenge.

Move him on with our best wishes, let’s get hungry young tyro’s in who are desperate to make a name for themselves in the league and will elevate themselves and Richmond Footy Club accordingly
Missing my point completely. He has been set up to fail.

Yep! Get a fair, straightforward deal, like Fremantle did in the Jackson trade, where they gave up their first-round pick (Pick 13) and future first and second-round picks to Melbourne.

Richmond has consistently valued their trades accurately, starting with Prestia in 2016. Bolton's value might be similar to Prestia and Taranto, around Pick 4, 5 or 6 when you add everything up. He's very talented but inconsistent, so that value seems reasonable.

If there's a points mismatch with the first-rounders, balance it out with later pick exchanges. Get the deal done without any Dodoro-style delays! The only way to get more is if Shai is willing to go to West Coast, forcing Fremantle to pay a premium.

edit (Hopper is only maybe a fair deal)
Jackson didn’t have 4yrs to go on a contract and Freo gave up (n draft picks) only what they had hence no top 10 pick etc. wasn’t by design. Every single club would take Bolton over Taranto every single day. Not even close so not sure why u saying they worth the same.

@momentai - I'd agree Shai is probably our most naturally gifted player. I wouldn't say he was our best. His performances I don't think match that rating. Disagree with your synopsis.
You need to buy into what the team needs, and do your best to achieve that, even if you have to sacrifice. He doesn't appear to want to do that.
Disagree. I believe I am buying into exactly what the team needs. What it doesn't need is to push our very best out, when he has 4-5 years left with his best football still to play.

Give us Lynch, Balta and Lefau doing their thing up forward together with Shai, and two to three new mids making their way, and imo we are again contenders.

As I see it our defence is still very good and performed well even without Gibcus, only losing its way late in the season when our ultra slowish midfield couldn't compete and gave it away.

Finally from me, you disagree with my synopsis. What do you say then about the clubs decision to systematically keep Shai forward, despite the consistent failure/inability of those around him to be able to supply anything approaching a decent feed?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
If he wants to go back to WA for family reasons while still having 4 years left on a contract, so be it.

However it should communicated to his manager that we'll only do so as long as we have the final say as to which WA club it is. That way both clubs can bid on his services and the highest bid (assuming that it is satisfactory) wins.

None of this 'I want to be back home but only at the club of my choosing' horseshit.

That's the tradeoff for wanting to leave so early in a long contract.

Reactions: 16 users
If he wants to go back to WA for family reasons while still having 4 years left on a contract, so be it.

However it should communicated to his manager that we'll only do so as long as we have the final say as to which WA club it is. That way both clubs can bid on his services and the highest bid (assuming that it is satisfactory) wins.

None of this 'I want to be back home but only at the club of my choosing' horseshit.

That's the tradeoff for wanting to leave so early in a long contract.
Don't agree that we should let him go, but if he is to go agree completely with the above.

I think it's quite simple...
Bolton has 7 years minimum left in the system...with a 4 yr contract...
What's fair and reasonable is irrelevant.
Name your price and stick to it...
Tell wc it's pick 3
Tell fremantle it's 9 and 10...
Or he stays and plays another 150 games for richmond.
End of story...

I think it's quite simple...
Bolton has 7 years minimum left in the system...with a 4 yr contract...
What's fair and reasonable is irrelevant.
Name your price and stick to it...
Tell wc it's pick 3
Tell fremantle it's 9 and 10...
Or he stays and plays another 150 games for richmond.
End of story...
Or we go around in circles with him wanting out at seasons end.

Geelol forced Kelly to stay and got a great season out of him and made the Eagles part with the Northern Bank of the Swan River for him.

Kelly has never been the same player since he returned home.

Reactions: 2 users
Or we go around in circles with him wanting out at seasons end.

Geelol forced Kelly to stay and got a great season out of him and made the Eagles part with the Northern Bank of the Swan River for him.

Kelly has never been the same player since he returned home.
Geelong got a kings ransom as you said...
But held him to his contract until there was no contract.
We get "overs"...because his 25 and has a 4 yr contract.
I wouldn't accept 9 and 17...
Make fremantle pay above his nominal worth...
We must increase our odds of betting a return via the draft that is greater than Bolton's 150 games.

Disagree. I believe I am buying into exactly what the team needs. What it doesn't need is to push our very best out, when he has 4-5 years left with his best football still to play.

Give us Lynch, Balta and Lefau doing their thing up forward together with Shai, and two to three new mids making their way, and imo we are again contenders.

As I see it our defence is still very good and performed well even without Gibcus, only losing its way late in the season when our ultra slowish midfield couldn't compete and gave it away.

Finally from me, you disagree with my synopsis. What do you say then about the clubs decision to systematically keep Shai forward, despite the consistent failure/inability of those around him to be able to supply anything approaching a decent feed?

Trouble is @momentai I honestly thought we were contenders each of the last 3 years, but I didn’t see the fatigue mentally and physically across the squad and club till you couldn’t ignore it.

I have clearly over estimated the list and what it is capable of and I don’t reckon we will get the game buster Lynch that we know and love back. Like Dusty this year and last, a shadow of their past glorious years.

Sadly we are at the beginning of a deep rebuild and everyone knows it.

Reactions: 2 users
Very cute General.
Not clear if your thumbs down is a response to my post and your unwillingness to answer, or is a response to the clubs conduct.

OK, taking one point at a time:
* trading Shai is in our long term interests. He's very talented, but expendable. We can take a second round pick and turn him into 2 first rounders. We need more talent than we have on our list. He wants to go, we'll get value back.
* Lynch might be done
Lefau won't be back until mid next year at the earliest, and may break down again. 2 knees now.
* I don't think our defence is too bad. Balta has to be a part of it though. Gibcus is a concern.
* tough question, because I can understand why you'd make the suggestion. Our midfield was pedestrian, and needed some spark. If we'd had a forward line, I could probably release Bolton 30-40% of the time. I'd want him fresh and plenty of legs for the fourth quarter, so he can kick some goals to break the game open.
Without Lynch etc, he's kicked out highest amount of goals. We'd be lost without him. To inject pace, I'd have tried Rioli around the ball, as half back is easier to play. At least he'd have someone to kick the ball to. Without Bolton and with our injuries, we're kicking at McIntosh, Bauer and Kosi. Not giving opposition's many nightmares with that line up.

He was handed the wrong cards. Told to play key forward and most usually without a tall in the area, capable of bringing the ball to ground (Lynch Balta), or even the ability to impact a marking contest or create a bit of space all for much of the time while Shai was double teamed.

And on my count only one or two players in front of him capable of kicking the ball into a moving target.
Leaving him there to fail and fail again, this while the midfield a position Shai plays well, was crying out for help. (Sometimes he would go in there late but only when most games were already pretty much over).

Everyone makes mistakes clubs included, but it was the repeating them over and over that causes my concern.

Just for the record imo he is our best player by a country mile and we should certainly take his name off the table. His best football is still in front of him and the idea of letting him go would be another epic mistake.
Some fair points, momentai
But it seems that he doesn't want to be part of the future at RFC
No point in trying to keep a player that just doesn't want to play for the team
Just imagine how disinterested he would be if he was forced to line up in the Yellow and Black next year.
It would be a darn sight worse than many of the ordinary efforts he displayed this season.
RFC just need to get the best deal it can get for Bolton and then move on.