Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Shai & Dan were the only 2 who looked better than average on Saturday. Take them both out & we're in a bit of a pickle.
No matter how many draft picks we get we're unlikely to snaffle players of their ilk.
Bit hard on Noah Balta for one, he beat King pointless.

Reactions: 5 users
All such decisions could only be made by the top man. Now gone.
It was very duplicitous. As a result Shai has spent such a long time playing forward with no further help than Koschitzke was capable of providing.

The club has treated Shai really badly.
You have got to be kidding me. Shai has been very well paid. He's been molly coddled through his behavioural issues on field (lack of discipline with free kicks/50s).
You may not be happy with the role you're being asked to play, but at the end of the day you've got to put in for the team, not yourself. Many times this year, Shai has appeared disinterested. He could be one of the greats in the league. He's not. The only change he needs to make, is between his ears.

Reactions: 10 users
Bolton's insta is making it look like he's already in Perth. No Mad Monday get together or end of season review/chat with the Coach?
Saw that. He couldn't get out of Melbourne quick enough by the looks. He must be confident a deal is going to get done.

Reactions: 1 user
Saw that. He couldn't get out of Melbourne quick enough by the looks. He must be confident a deal is going to get done.
I think most of the rumoured deals are "done" in principle a long way out from trade week. How else can interested parties actually plan an attack. Of course, it's never done until its done but you can bet your house on it that all of Bolton Rioli Baker and Graham would have a clear indication of what might transpire.

Reactions: 2 users
I think most of the rumoured deals are "done" in principle a long way out from trade week. How else can interested parties actually plan an attack. Of course, it's never done until its done but you can bet your house on it that all of Bolton Rioli Baker and Graham would have a clear indication of what might transpire.
We don’t have much to go on at all, but Jack Riewoldt seems certain it’ll all get done.

Seems likely he’s still very close to the club

All Daniel had to do was say "I'll be playing for the Tigers next year."

Never happened because he is as good as gone.

Same with Bakes and Bolton and Graham.

It's your future and your call boys.

Thanks, though, for everything.

I thought they might come for Tommy.
Tricky one that. End of career, high price, can't get on the park. But capable of dominating a finals series if fit.

Still contracted for one last year ...

I thought they might come for Tommy.
Tricky one that. End of career, high price, can't get on the park. But capable of dominating a finals series if fit.

Still contracted for one last year ...
yep right time to trade tommy now. hes only prob got a couple of years left, which doesnt help us at all. it might help another team in the premiership window though.
a second rounder?

Reactions: 1 users
yep right time to trade tommy now. hes only prob got a couple of years left, which doesnt help us at all. it might help another team in the premiership window though.
a second rounder?
If we're drafting a key forward this year, keeping Lynch for the next two years is smart. Even if he only plays a few games, he's the best option we have to help develop a new forward. A second-round pick isn’t worth losing that.

This was one of the mistakes GoldCoast made. Rance was surprised by how underdeveloped Lynch was when he joined the Tigers: “I even see some stuff now with Lynchy [and] I’m like, ‘Why are you doing that?’” https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...arn-says-tigers-champion-20190320-p515z2.html

Reactions: 7 users
If we're drafting a key forward this year, keeping Lynch for the next two years is smart. Even if he only plays a few games, he's the best option we have to help develop a new forward. A second-round pick isn’t worth losing that.

This was one of the mistakes GoldCoast made. Rance was surprised by how underdeveloped Lynch was when he joined the Tigers: “I even see some stuff now with Lynchy [and] I’m like, ‘Why are you doing that?’” https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...arn-says-tigers-champion-20190320-p515z2.html
Who would have thought that the night of this article being released would end up being Rancey's final game :(

• Sad
I reckon Bolton's gone and funnily enough I'm not disappointed.
He got his medals and his money and now he can chase those things with another team.
He ain't committed to the Yellow and Black.
In the meantime, I'm more interested in those players wanting to stay and those about to be drafted.
It's all about the future now and not the past.

Reactions: 10 users
Bolton has been talked out of going back to home to Perth many times by Blair Hartley

This time Blair decided not to, and let him go home

• Sad
  • Wow
Well we can tell them they can GAGF we’re holding him to his contract
Yep! Get a fair, straightforward deal, like Fremantle did in the Jackson trade, where they gave up their first-round pick (Pick 13) and future first and second-round picks to Melbourne.

Richmond has consistently valued their trades accurately, starting with Prestia in 2016. Bolton's value might be similar to Prestia and Taranto, around Pick 4, 5 or 6 when you add everything up. He's very talented but inconsistent, so that value seems reasonable.

If there's a points mismatch with the first-rounders, balance it out with later pick exchanges. Get the deal done without any Dodoro-style delays! The only way to get more is if Shai is willing to go to West Coast, forcing Fremantle to pay a premium.

edit (Hopper is only maybe a fair deal)

Last edited:
You have got to be kidding me. Shai has been very well paid. He's been molly coddled through his behavioural issues on field (lack of discipline with free kicks/50s).
You may not be happy with the role you're being asked to play, but at the end of the day you've got to put in for the team, not yourself. Many times this year, Shai has appeared disinterested. He could be one of the greats in the league. He's not. The only change he needs to make, is between his ears.
He was handed the wrong cards. Told to play key forward and most usually without a tall in the area, capable of bringing the ball to ground (Lynch Balta), or even the ability to impact a marking contest or create a bit of space all for much of the time while Shai was double teamed.

And on my count only one or two players in front of him capable of kicking the ball into a moving target.
Leaving him there to fail and fail again, this while the midfield a position Shai plays well, was crying out for help. (Sometimes he would go in there late but only when most games were already pretty much over).

Everyone makes mistakes clubs included, but it was the repeating them over and over that causes my concern.

Just for the record imo he is our best player by a country mile and we should certainly take his name off the table. His best football is still in front of him and the idea of letting him go would be another epic mistake.

He was handed the wrong cards. Told to play key forward and most usually without a tall in the area, capable of bringing the ball to ground (Lynch Balta), or even the ability to impact a marking contest or create a bit of space all for much of the time while Shai was double teamed.

And on my count only one or two players in front of him capable of kicking the ball into a moving target.
Leaving him there to fail and fail again, this while the midfield a position Shai plays well, was crying out for help. (Sometimes he would go in there late but only when most games were already pretty much over).

Everyone makes mistakes clubs included, but it was the repeating them over and over that causes my concern.

Just for the record imo he is our best player by a country mile and we should certainly take his name off the table. His best football is still in front of him and the idea of letting him go would be another epic mistake.
Physically he’s our most skilled player, yes.

But mentally - look at how easily he’s folded up this year when he’s been challenged! He has the air of a man with nothing to prove, no appetite for a challenge.

Move him on with our best wishes, let’s get hungry young tyro’s in who are desperate to make a name for themselves in the league and will elevate themselves and Richmond Footy Club accordingly

@momentai - I'd agree Shai is probably our most naturally gifted player. I wouldn't say he was our best. His performances I don't think match that rating. Disagree with your synopsis.
You need to buy into what the team needs, and do your best to achieve that, even if you have to sacrifice. He doesn't appear to want to do that.

Reactions: 4 users