Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Some fair points, momentai
But it seems that he doesn't want to be part of the future at RFC
No point in trying to keep a player that just doesn't want to play for the team
Just imagine how disinterested he would be if he was forced to line up in the Yellow and Black next year.
It would be a darn sight worse than many of the ordinary efforts he displayed this season.
RFC just need to get the best deal it can get for Bolton and then move on.
Can't disagree with much of that BT. My concern is that the club has deliberately engineered that very result.

Reactions: 1 user
Bolton if you listen to the media is worth f all. Watch them push this agenda they really do hate us 😤 gotta love the salty tears from the grubs

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Disagree. I believe I am buying into exactly what the team needs. What it doesn't need is to push our very best out, when he has 4-5 years left with his best football still to play.

Give us Lynch, Balta and Lefau doing their thing up forward together with Shai, and two to three new mids making their way, and imo we are again contenders.

As I see it our defence is still very good and performed well even without Gibcus, only losing its way late in the season when our ultra slowish midfield couldn't compete and gave it away.

Finally from me, you disagree with my synopsis. What do you say then about the clubs decision to systematically keep Shai forward, despite the consistent failure/inability of those around him to be able to supply anything approaching a decent feed?
Ladies and gentleman, a blueprint for disaster.

Folks, he was told weeks ago he’s gonna be traded. Club-led.

It’s a ruthless business, a premiership business.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Or we go around in circles with him wanting out at seasons end.

Geelol forced Kelly to stay and got a great season out of him and made the Eagles part with the Northern Bank of the Swan River for him.

Kelly has never been the same player since he returned home.
Or he could be like Papley, who by all accounts had a foot in the door at Princes Park, but then the deal fell through, and he’s one of the Swans best players now.

Will be a Brownlow top 5 lock next year on the hard decks and wide wings at Freo with a gun midfield feeding him.
Then the weak flimsy media will attack us.
'What they get in return?"
"Why couldn't they get this out of him?"
"Sometimes you need to say NO and keep them"

I guarantee next year round 5 or 6, What have Richmond done? It let go if a kid 25yrs old and on still 3 more years on a contract and he would have 9 brownlow votes in the 1st 5 games.

He is a star footballer. But he couldn't forge a relationship under Yze and then he wants out. It doesn't help when your best mate is going too.

He will be better at freo then Farmer was.

I think most of the rumoured deals are "done" in principle a long way out from trade week. How else can interested parties actually plan an attack. Of course, it's never done until its done but you can bet your house on it that all of Bolton Rioli Baker and Graham would have a clear indication of what might transpire.

Absolutely - but as you say circumstances might change on draft day, so you have to be able to reassess and be prepared make new deals - or walk away.

Last edited:
If he wants to go back to WA for family reasons while still having 4 years left on a contract, so be it.

However it should communicated to his manager that we'll only do so as long as we have the final say as to which WA club it is. That way both clubs can bid on his services and the highest bid (assuming that it is satisfactory) wins.

None of this 'I want to be back home but only at the club of my choosing' horseshit.

That's the tradeoff for wanting to leave so early in a long contract.

We say to Shai - you want to go home, are you prepared to go to either club? If he says no, that's fine, but point out that if we dont get a good return on a deal with that club, sorry, you stay. If he and his manager are smart they'll see that as his best option.

Trade for pick 9 and 10 from free, or pick 3 from wc...
Otherwise he can be reintegrated into the team...
Richmond wins the trade hands down or the player stays...No middle ground...
Remember...
We still have pick 1, mid range 1st round for baker mid to late 1st round for pick upgrades from bris, our 2nd rounder, Graham pick and pick 29...
A reasonable injection of youth in anyone's language...
Pick 6 and pick 20 for rioli...or he stays as well...

I am not trying to be biased, but watching Freo against Port, they need more quality and players in the right age bracket. They would be stupid not to go hard for Shai.

Fremantle Dockers CEO Simon Garlick promises aggressive approach to trade table to secure more elite talent​

Craig O'DonoghueThe West Australian
Tue, 27 August 2024 4:00AM

Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick has promised to be as aggressive as possible at the trade table to secure more elite talent, saying his team’s poor finish to the season showed they need to add more class to the list.

The Dockers slid from third on the ladder in round 20 to 10th just four weeks later after failing to win another game.
Coach Justin Longmuir said the 20-point defeat form Port Adelaide on Sunday summed up their season as the players fumbled under pressure, missed shots at goal or gave away free kicks at crucial times.

Fremantle have three first round picks this season and have been heavily linked to Shai Bolton, Liam Baker and Chad Warner.
Garlick said the club had a clear plan for how to take the next step.

“We won’t hesitate in doing whatever we need to improve our list and our ability to close out games,” Garlick told The West Australian.

“Clearly, we have some opportunities with a strong draft hand, and how that eventuates will obviously be clear in in time.

“We’ve put together a list that we think has the foundations to challenge for premiership, and there absolutely needs to be improvement in that. We won’t be backwards in exploring every option we’ve got.

“We’ll certainly be going hard at the targets we think are appropriate. But we won’t be doing it at all costs.

“We’ve got to make sure that if you do have the opportunity to bring experienced talent into your club, it’s got to be at the right price. It can’t be at the complete expense of culture.

“There’s numerous considerations we’re going to make, but we certainly won’t be shy in ensuring we give ourselves the best opportunity to continue to grow and improve.”

The Dockers have had a stable defence for several years led by captain Alex Pearce and All-Australian backman Luke Ryan. The midfield’s power was on show all season with Caleb Serong, Andrew Brayshaw and Hayden Young constantly winning the ball.
Fremantle showed an improved ability to score this season with key forward Josh Treacy making huge improvements, but the team still ranked 10th in attack at the end of the home and away season.

“It’s just not being able to finish and execute and capitalize on the opportunities that we provided,” Garlick said.

“We were a top four defence and an elite contested ball team and clearance team within the middle of the ground. So us being able to finish with class under pressure when the moment demands it, is something we need to continue to get better at.”

Garlick backed coach Justin Longmuir after the club extended his contract by 12 months before the season began.
Fremantle have made the finals just once since Longmuir and Garlick joined the club in 2020 and the Dockers have fallen short of an ambitious Strategic Plan to have three top-four finishes and a premiership by the end of next season.

The Dockers’ re-build began in 2016 and they’ve been overtaken by several clubs including Hawthorn this season. But Garlick said they were following their own plan.

“We’re certainly not shying away from putting ourselves on the hook to achieve our ultimate aim, and that is to win premierships. That’s what we’re here for. So we’re not looking to make excuses or rationalise why we haven’t hit that mark yet,” he said.

“We set this at the end of 2020, so judge us upon that timeframe and what we were looking to achieve then.

“We are as impatient as anyone. I know our members and fans quite rightfully are also. Whilst we want it to happen yesterday or a soon as humanly possible, we want to set ourselves up to have a sustained crack at contending for premierships.

“There’s precedents of clubs like Geelong and Sydney and a number of others who continually contend. So every decision we made has been made with a long term outlook.”