Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

4 goal assists (we kicked 7). Next best in the match was 2.
We can always use the stats to our advantage 😁 fact is for a guy who kicks it 55 with ease and he dosent hit the scoreboard once in 100 minutes of footy that’s not the type of key forward I want to build a new forward line around , however as a key back man I can build our backline around him .

Reactions: 2 users
We can always use the stats to our advantage 😁 fact is for a guy who kicks it 55 with ease and he dosent hit the scoreboard once in 100 minutes of footy that’s not the type of key forward I want to build a new forward line around , however as a key back man I can build our backline around him .
He wouldve kicked 1 running into an open goal but shared it with Shai.
His movement at CHF was an improvement and helped give Kosi 1on1s
Individual goals is too simplistic. 8 rounds left, lets see him improve

Again totally understand the reason he plays forward atm , we don’t have any forwards , in saying that I hope Kozi , LeFau , Fawcett ADraftpick and Gray can become our forwards going forward .

So far our best defender and not a chance Treacy kicks 5 on Balta , the other thing is that is another game where Forward Balta has not hit the scoreboard at all, in saying that I won’t be shocked if Balta came out and kicked 5 next week , the more I see him play forward the more I like him as a defender .

The forward experiment may well make or break Yze
Key forwards drafted in the 50s are long odds.
Most likely Balta is the best forward of the 5 you mentioned.

Having said that a forward line of Balta LeFau and Gray sounds dynamic and aerially dominant. Potential is there

Reactions: 1 users
Miller is quick.
I'm referring to quick in terms of reading the ball, intercept marking, closing down opposition. Balta is that, Vlastuin is that. Miller has been playing predominantly a lock-down role from what I can see. Same as Blight. Same as Young.

He wouldve kicked 1 running into an open goal but shared it with Shai.
His movement at CHF was an improvement and helped give Kosi 1on1s
Individual goals is too simplistic. 8 rounds left, lets see him improve
td without going around in circles, Balta is far from a proven forward , he is a proven top shelf defender , I like you and his fans would love him to be a top shelf forward , however at this stage it’s nothing more then glimpses , though no doubt Yze will give him the rest of the season to prove himself as a forward. The waste of time argument with his pro defenders and pro forward fans is what is the best spot for Balta re the team .

Bit of funny way to look at it is , we all lauded Miller last week for his job on Curnow who still kicked 2 goals , yet the BFFs will scrape and claw at anything to make his game a success as a forward . I’m certain he’ll have a ripper game as a forward soon and the BFFs will come out in force , if ever I got one wrong this would be the one I’d hope for

FWIW I reckon defensive Balta would give forward Balta a bath 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Agree with this mate.
I spend most of own thoughts going round in circles!
IMO he can be an above average forward or an elite defender.
And a backline with Balta Gibcus Mimler/Blight Brown and Smith (hopefully) is enough to win a flag.

There's too much hyperbole that Balta is no good as a forward - has no nous, cant see etc. Think thats crap.
And if he does make an elite forward then we are a massive step closer.
I'm happy to see how the next 7 games go

My worry with every swingman there is a danger that we would miss out on using him where he would be most effective. I understand why we have to try him as a marking forward due to injuries but now it seems as Kosi is now finding form and belief in our forwards maybe Balta could return to where is is at his best, in defence

Reactions: 1 user
My worry with every swingman there is a danger that we would miss out on using him where he would be most effective. I understand why we have to try him as a marking forward due to injuries but now it seems as Kosi is now finding form and belief in our forwards maybe Balta could return to where is is at his best, in defence
If Balta goes back which tall replaces him in the forward line to play alongside Kosi?

We should be using this season to get Balta and Miller in sync with each other. It takes time to develop understanding.

Reactions: 3 users
Wasn’t it last season that Balta was too loose and leaking goals, so move him forward? This was tried for the last 2 games with mixed success. The plan this year was to play him forward. He trained there all pre season. Circumstances have messed it all up, but he was meant to play as a forward this year and Gibcus would play his role in defence. If we play Balta back now, Kosi is our only key forward and one of Miller or Blight don’t get a game.

I thought both him and kozi had really solid games up forward. Let’s face it Lynch might not be coming back in a consistent long term sense. I’d be persisting.

If Balta goes back which tall replaces him in the forward line to play alongside Kosi?
A good question as right now the cupboard is bare for forward talls so maybe we are stuck using Balta as a forward until Lynch comes back from his latest injury. At least it looks like we have found a pretty good defender in Blight if his two first games are anything to go by so Balta stays as a forward for now .

Give him the rest of the season forward
What do we have to lose
If he actually turns into a great forward what a win
If not then we have an excellent back

Jack Hill the blind miner can see that Balta is not a forward, but may well be a long term great defender if we don't stuff him around. The main objective is to create cohesion in the backline. Let's not pretend it is in our interests to pinch two or three cheap late season wins. Play the long game Tiges. The next Dusty Cotch or Jack may be Pick One.

Choo Choo Choo. or as Dyer'ere writes Spoony Spoon Spoon.

• Love
Why not just stick him on the wing? He can float back or forward from there, be a target down the line for our backs to kick to, outrun opponents and drive us deep forward with long kicks, and maybe mark some of those oppo defensive dump kicks that always seem to land in their own teams laps.

Surely he'd be more productive than McIntosh, Hugo or Pickett?

My backline for the rest of the year would have Miller, Balta, Blight, Vlaustin, Brown, Trezise
Rioli on one wing, Banks on the other.
Short to a HFF.

Wasn’t it last season that Balta was too loose and leaking goals, so move him forward? This was tried for the last 2 games with mixed success.
Balta was leading intercept marker in the league last year. Most contested marks of key position backmen. Top 10 of key position backmen for intercepts. This year we have no-one in the top 35 for intercept mark, top 40 for intercepts or top 20 for contested marks. You can see absence of Balta may have also affected Vlastuin's intercept mark efficiency.

OVERALL INTERCEPT MARKS 2023​

76 - Noah Balta (RIC)
74 - Charlie Ballard (GCS)
70 - Darcy Moore (COL)
64 - Harris Andrews (BRI)
58 - Aliir Aliir (PA)
58 - Jacob Weitering (CAR)
56 - Ben McKay (NM)
54 - Nick Vlastuin (RIC)
52 - Sam Collins (GCS)
52 - Tom Stewart (GEE)
51 - Isaac Quaynor (COL)
51 - Callum Wilkie (STK)
48 - James Sicily (HAW)
46 - Jake Lever (MEL)
46 - Steven May (MEL)
46 - Jack Payne (BRI)
45 - Mitch McGovern (CAR)
44 - Tom Barrass (WCE)
44 - Liam Jones (WB)
42 - Sam Taylor (GWS)

• Love
Balta was leading intercept marker in the league last year. Most contested marks of key position backmen. Top 10 of key position backmen for intercepts. This year we have no-one in the top 35 for intercept mark, top 40 for intercepts or top 20 for contested marks. You can see absence of Balta may have also affected Vlastuin's intercept mark efficiency.

OVERALL INTERCEPT MARKS 2023​

76 - Noah Balta (RIC)
74 - Charlie Ballard (GCS)
70 - Darcy Moore (COL)
64 - Harris Andrews (BRI)
58 - Aliir Aliir (PA)
58 - Jacob Weitering (CAR)
56 - Ben McKay (NM)
54 - Nick Vlastuin (RIC)
52 - Sam Collins (GCS)
52 - Tom Stewart (GEE)
51 - Isaac Quaynor (COL)
51 - Callum Wilkie (STK)
48 - James Sicily (HAW)
46 - Jake Lever (MEL)
46 - Steven May (MEL)
46 - Jack Payne (BRI)
45 - Mitch McGovern (CAR)
44 - Tom Barrass (WCE)
44 - Liam Jones (WB)
42 - Sam Taylor (GWS)
Great stats.
Does Yze not rate this? Or is there a bigger picture?