Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Noah Balta - Welcome to Tigerland

Miller took Larkey, with Balta on Pink. In that scenario Balta should be intercepting at will, and then sprinting forward and launching a counterattack.

That should have been Yze's instruction to him. Didn't see that yesterday. Poor coaching not to get that out of him.
His best intercepting tho is when he just beats his man and marks the ball, rather than trying to get off his man and help others. No harm in giving him other roles to round his game a bit, (and to give Miller a tough job), but if we were playing to win next week he would go straight to the oppositions best forward.

With plenty of cap space coming up , I’d like us to show some faith in Balta and put a 3 ,4 or 5 year extension in front of him now . Leysy tells me his a free agent at the end of 25 , let’s give him the security to know where his future is as no doubt they’ll be plenty of clubs in his ear , especially the way his been *smile* around this year .

Get it done Blair
If we’re giving Ryan a 3 year extension then we should definitely be offering at least the same to Balta.

Reactions: 4 users
I would wait and see.
He isn't a 900k footballer.
That's the offers he will get.
He won't go interstate but if the cash is good he will go.
If we know we will get compo of a pick straight after ours like picks 2 or 3
We might need to do a McKay job

same thing happened towards the end of last year. Tried to hard. Doesn’t do the basics and is often in no man’s land. Manning the mark 70m out. Beat your man first.

I would wait and see.
He isn't a 900k footballer.
That's the offers he will get.
He won't go interstate but if the cash is good he will go.
If we know we will get compo of a pick straight after ours like picks 2 or 3
We might need to do a McKay job
Geez dude, you must be his psychologist, you know his mind inside out.

Reactions: 1 user
He would be AA if left at FB. He could be anything if left at FF, but when he is switched between the 2 he always end up average.
Hopefully this year has been an aberration due to injuries and we will stick with a plan in 2025 and beyond.

He is still a very good player, it is just up to us how we utilise him.

Wish Ryan Simpson had rejected his 3 year offer....
Asked for 7 years, will be cherry ripe after 6.5.

He would be AA if left at FB. He could be anything if left at FF, but when he is switched between the 2 he always end up average.
Hopefully this year has been an aberration due to injuries and we will stick with a plan in 2025 and beyond.

He is still a very good player, it is just up to us how we utilise him.
So true. Balta is a test case to find out how we develop players under Yze.

You can't throw a guy around who doesn't have natural football smarts, it's unfair to expect him to be able to do both at the drop of a hat.

Leave him back. Straight ahead footballer.

Yze's biggest failure this year was prevaricating on his opinion that Balta was worth more forward. Once he made that choice he had to stick with it.

Reactions: 3 users
Yze's biggest failure this year was prevaricating on his opinion that Balta was worth more forward. Once he made that choice he had to stick with it.
Funnily enough our forward line looked the most dangerous when we beat the Swans. The Lynch / Balta combo was a real threat. Pity it lasted just over 3/4 of a game.

But back to your point, the handling of Balta has been Yze's biggest failing this year. Even last weekend he played back but not on Larkey. If he isnt going to play on the most dangerous forward, then send him forward and get Blight in the team.

I agree in theory once he started the yer with Balta up forward he should have stuck with it, but he shifted back after we just conceded 25 goals to Brisbane and 20 to the Dogs. The only time we have had 20 kicked against us since was the Blues- where Balta played forward.
And once Young was dropped then injured we literally didnt have a 2nd tall defender other than Balta until Blight was drafted.

Funnily enough our forward line looked the most dangerous when we beat the Swans. The Lynch / Balta combo was a real threat. Pity it lasted just over 3/4 of a game.

But back to your point, the handling of Balta has been Yze's biggest failing this year. Even last weekend he played back but not on Larkey. If he isnt going to play on the most dangerous forward, then send him forward and get Blight in the team.
Balta had 6 disposals against the Swans- i know his impact up forward can go beyond disposals, but to me the difference that day was that Tom Lynch was moving freely for the 1st (and only) time this year.

It would be great to know how much of the use of Balta this year has been by design and how much has been necessity.

Balta didn't play foward against Sydney
Lefau and Lynch were foward

definitely agree he should've been kept in one position

to me he is best deployed as a key back

if that leaves a hole up forward then we'll need to acquire from outside the club, trade or draft

Balta is copping what Miller had copped the past 2 or 3 years. Miller showed signs as a KPD in 2021 and since then had been thrown around forwrad, ruck, back and was all at seas. Now he has settled again as a KPD and no surprise he's showed he can be an AFL standard KPD. We need to do the same with Balta.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d like to think he woke up 😉 nah totally agree , pinch hit at the other end , but absolutely with our lack of gun talls he needed/needs to be locked in at one end of the ground

I think he got 3 positional issues wrong before the season started and its probably put us back a bit.

1 - Balta as a KPF
2 - Dusty as a full time mid
3 - Bolton as a permanent forward

Read the room wrong on all 3 IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
I think he got 3 positional issues wrong before the season started and its probably put us back a bit.

1 - Balta as a KPF
2 - Dusty as a full time mid
3 - Bolton as a permanent forward

Read the room wrong on all 3 IMO.

Incorrect.

I’ll give you Balta. Drives me nuts seeing him swung so hard.

But Martin has been played mid and forward as expected. What could NOT be expected was Martin’s inability to get across the grass.

As for Bolton, what do you want? He’s not a midfielder. He’s gone in there occasionally but is sat on as soon as gets a couple of clearances.

It’s not the game-winning move you think it is.

I don’t blame Yze for not wanting to bail out our ailing midfield with the extremely short term solution that is Bolton. He’s trying to build a midfield, not cover for one.

Yze’s hands are tied. Yes, mistakes have been made with Balta but the other criticisms are ignorant.