Morris Thomas competition | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Morris Thomas competition

Leysy Days said:
Never while leysy's judgement is correct.

Thought his 4 kicks, all 20m sideways were breathtaking.
I quite liked that bullet pass to Ty. And his goal. And his KE of 89%. And his clearance work. But each to their own.....

tigertim said:
I quite liked that bullet pass to Ty. And his goal. And his KE of 89%. And his clearance work. But each to their own.....

funny-gif-asian-guy-thumbs-up.gif

tigertim said:
Done and done JB, thought he did well, didn't see any turnovers. KE 89.5%. 1 goal, 3 centre clearances, 19 disposals.

How do you think he went?

Thought he went ok but he did play on Hall for a large chunk of the game. Hall was probably GC's best and played probably the best game of his career.

jb03 said:
Thought he went ok but he did play on Hall for a large chunk of the game. Hall was probably GC's best and played probably the best game of his career.

That is too deep for Tim.

Keep it to disposal efficiency only please.

Leysy Days said:

Yeah, stupid of me to use stats to prove he's not a turnover merchant......

But if Leysys learned eye can't admit Thomas did well I can understand that.

Thomas is the only Richmond player that can get caught holding the ball and I'll actually be nodding in agreement with the umpire's decision. One of the elite few with that ability.

Chimptastic said:
Thomas is the only Richmond player that can get caught holding the ball and I'll actually be nodding in agreement with the umpire's decision. One of the elite few with that ability.

Ha, I felt that too. There was this instinctive "Damn you umpire!" building up, but it kept ending in a "Ahyeah. That's about as holding the ball as you get."

Why does he slowly stick one arm out and try and take on the tackler? Or shift those jelly legs through molasses trying to sidestep? He needs to learn to play within his very limited capabilities. Matt, you're not strong enough in the core to break a tackle, or fast enough in the body and mind to evade one. Just get rid of the ball to a player who actually has one of athleticism or skill.

jb03 said:

This. And this. And then some more of this. Pure see ball, get ball, hack ball. Willing to tackle but watches the ball and gets burned by his man.

If Matt Thomas is still in the mix to play in our midfield our depth isn't good enough. Still.

Two frees against him, two for. That's not bad for an inside mid who is slow as treacle and gets caught holding the ball all day. I guess his disposals weren't too bad so we better find something else to beat up on him for though.

Where I'd agree with the haters is his lack of pace and engine to run with the opposition defensively, that hurt us a few times. Came in, played a role, did OK. Credit where it's due. Good selection Dimma.

Leysy Days said:

He played well. Did his job. You're on shaky ground to argue otherwise. I was actually pretty surprised at the number of times he stepped out of congestion and found space.

But, this Dimma's pet hack should be dropped and play a few games in the seconds for a change, is not in our best 22, oh hang on...

tigertim said:
Yeah, stupid of me to use stats to prove he's not a turnover merchant......

But if Leysys learned eye can't admit Thomas did well I can understand that.

forget it tim. You smoked 'em.

not the most talented player we have ever seen but played his role and did it well. Right handball to kick ratio, in this game was not exposed with his lack of pace. He is a contested animal, he is as good as they get in finding the ball. His delivery to outside players was first class on Sunday, all be it vs Suns.

For now, keeps his spot, will be handy vs the big bodied Collingwood mids like Swan, PEndelbery etc.... possibly on a wet MCG track too

tigersnake said:
forget it tim. You smoked 'em.

So I dont need to highlight he had the 2nd most contested possessions after Cotch (12) or game high pressure acts (20) or that he laid the 2nd most tackles after Dusty (4) ? ok, I'll leave them out....

tigertim said:
So I dont need to highlight he had the 2nd most contested possessions after Cotch (12) or game high pressure acts (20) or that he laid the 2nd most tackles after Dusty (4) ? ok, I'll leave them out....

His opponent was the opposition's best. Mention that.

Being the best player in an 83 point smashing doesn't really count for much

Baloo said:
Being the best player in an 83 point smashing doesn't really count for much

Fair enough Baloo.

I said he did his job but to defend his kicking by looking as his DE based on a 4 kick game seems a bit odd. Don't think his staunchest supporters would argue he is highly skilled, or even that his skills are above average, regardless of any DE stats.

jb03 said:
Fair enough Baloo.

I said he did his job but to defend his kicking by looking as his DE based on a 4 kick game seems a bit odd. Don't think his staunchest supporters would argue he is highly skilled, or even that his skills are above average, regardless of any DE stats.

Come on jb, this thread was knocking his "clangers". I have used 2 stats that I beleive illustrate that it isnt true his disposal is poor. And we paid visual attention yesterday to watch for "clangers". Didn't see any ( yes free kicks are counted for "clangers' but thats got nothing to do with his disposal)

But then the goal posts shift to "he's too slow" or "his opponent was better".

tigertim said:
Come on jb, this thread was knocking his "clangers". I have used 2 stats that I beleive illustrate that it isnt true his disposal is poor.

But then the goal posts shift to "he's too slow" or "his opponent was better".

Don't forget " he gets caught holding the ball too much" .... Had two frees against and two for. :hihi