Morris Thomas competition | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Morris Thomas competition

Chimptastic said:
I don't know why so many people are defending Thomas. Must be an overreaction to the big win. It's the opposite phenomenon to the overreactions of a big loss.

I think its more a reaction to the OTT criticism of him.

Chimptastic said:
I don't know why so many people are defending Thomas. Must be an overreaction to the big win. It's the opposite phenomenon to the overreactions of a big loss.

Considering what was around him (stars on his team, nobodies on the other team), his decision making was extremely poor.

His only positive was that he absorbed some body knocks and reminded our regulars that you need to win the contested ball or Dimma will select players like Thomas to feel more secure about the contested numbers. Remember, Dimma coaches for the KPIs. We win the contested ball or he selects someone who will, regardless of talent. In this way, Thomas is a kind of punishment he unleashes on the team, similar to dishing out 4 x 800s at training whenever a player fails to follow instruction. From this perspective, Thomas played his role perfectly and should be applauded.

You cannot be serious. Fair dinkum, I know half the fun of PRE is being a wanna be coach and second guessing the sh!t out of everything, but this is ridiculous. Dimma coaches for the KPIs? Dimma unleashes Thomas on the side for punishment? Sorry, but haha.

How's this for a theory? Dimma brings in a depth player who has been battling away in the seconds all year and sticking at it to cover for a lengthening injury list? Pretty mental theory I know, but there it is. 8-

tigersnake said:
You cannot be serious. Fair dinkum, I know half the fun of PRE is being a wanna be coach and second guessing the sh!t out of everything, but this is ridiculous. Dimma coaches for the KPIs? Dimma unleashes Thomas on the side for punishment? Sorry, but haha.

How's this for a theory? Dimma brings in a depth player who has been battling away in the seconds all year and sticking at it to cover for a lengthening injury list? Pretty mental theory I know, but there it is. 8-

Bang!
;D

tigersnake said:

No doubt about it, its hilarious reading all the tripe at times though, and concerning at the same time :hihi

Leysy Days said:
Or despite the fact he had 19 possessions he finished with the LEAST metres gained of any Richmond player.

Easy to rack of a nice efficiency when you are either handballing or kicking it sideways.

Leysy's sure Tim was about to tell us that stat as well though.

one of his kicks went through the goals. that one wasnt sideways.
another of his kicks was a 40m pass (forwards) to TV who marked and goaled.
perhaps his other 2 kicks were sideways.

You've got to love a good theory. So far this year we have had Thomas being selected as punishment for the rest of the team, Lennon using extortion to force his way in, Morris using pictures to do the same thing, and McDonough putting himself out of contention for selection by farting in an elevator. Never change PRE :)

Rancey18 said:
You've got to love a good theory. So far this year we have had Thomas being selected as punishment for the rest of the team, Lennon using extortion to force his way in, Morris using pictures to do the same thing, and McDonough putting himself out of contention for selection by farting in an elevator. Never change PRE :)

Good summation Rancey. Don't forget McBean being excluded because Dimma hates forwards that score goals

tigersnake said:

The punishment comment was tongue in cheek, and Dimma does coach for KPIs; he's always been a process-driven coach.

It seems spot on to say he was spooked by the low contested numbers against Adelaide. He could have brought in Dea, McDonough, Menadue, McBean etc, but he chose Thomas to boost a crucial KPI. I didn't criticise his decision. Just saying that I reckon Dimma expects his team to win the contested ball without needing to bring in a Thomas to paper over the cracks for a week.

Ideally, we'd be strong enough to bring in a Liam McBean against a depleted Gold Coast without fear of losing a crucial KPI to a bottom 4 team. Dimma didn't have the confidence to do that. At our best he would. Case in point having the confidence to select Menadue and Ellis in the first Fremantle game.

Chimptastic said:
The punishment comment was tongue in cheek, and Dimma does coach for KPIs; he's always been a process-driven coach.

It seems spot on to say he was spooked by the low contested numbers against Adelaide. He could have brought in Dea, McDonough, Menadue, McBean etc, but he chose Thomas to boost a crucial KPI. I didn't criticise his decision. Just saying that I reckon Dimma expects his team to win the contested ball without needing to bring in a Thomas to paper over the cracks for a week.

Ideally, we'd be strong enough to bring in a Liam McBean against a depleted Gold Coast without fear of losing a crucial KPI to a bottom 4 team. Dimma didn't have the confidence to do that. At our best he would. Case in point having the confidence to select Menadue and Ellis in the first Fremantle game.

Sorry about the smart arseness of that previous post. The buildup of the bagging and hatred for Thomas just got to me and you copped it, I can't really fathom it. If he was on good money and entrenched in the side, fair enough.

On this post, still don't get your point. By 'contested ball KPI' do you mean hardness in the packs? By 'papering over the cracks for a week', do you mean bringing in a fringe player who isn't quite good enough to cover for injuries? If so, fair enough.

Also when you say 'at our best' you mean when we had less injuries. The fact is, in hindsight it was a good selection. I was skeptical prior myself. To bring in an experienced, mature physical player when we are undermanned seems like the canny move to me now, and more so because he repaid the faith and played well. Bring in the young blokes when they have more cover, unless they're smashing the door down.

tigertim said:
So I dont need to highlight he had the 2nd most contested possessions after Cotch (12) or game high pressure acts (20) or that he laid the 2nd most tackles after Dusty (4) ? ok, I'll leave them out....

He He He.

All those Stats and Toothless' boy is still first one out.

He He He.

Someone had to make way for Shed. Thomas was the obvious man to go. Did a job but he's a depth player, no shame in that.

antman said:
Someone had to make way for Shed. Thomas was the obvious man to go. Did a job but he's a depth player, no shame in that.

Exactly. Not too hard to fathom. He did the job he was selected for and a better player is now available.
All those stats showed it was the correct selection. It gave Shed another week off and relieved some pressure off Miles and Cotch.
No shame at all.

antman said:

i think Yazzy Daze is one of those posters who thinks the worst player(s) each week should be dropped for the best player(s) in the VFL. anything else is a bit complicated.

Leysy Days said:
He He He.

All those Stats and Toothless' boy is still first one out.

He He He.

this does not prove your argument Brian I'm afraid. The opposing argument to yours was he did alright as as fill in, a stop gap. To suggest he was anything else is dumb, and as far as I can tell, those saying he played well haven't. Quit while your behind

Your setting up this annoying straw man whereby anyone who says Thomas came in and did his job and aquited himself well are saying he should therefore be entrenched in the side, nobody is saying that. You are displaying a complete lack of comprehension of what a depth player is.

Brodders17 said:
i think Yazzy Daze is one of those posters who thinks the worst player(s) each week should be dropped for the best player(s) in the VFL. anything else is a bit complicated.

yeah its weird logic

willo said:
Exactly. Not too hard to fathom. He did the job he was selected for and a better player is now available.
All those stats showed it was the correct selection. It gave Shed another week off and relieved some pressure off Miles and Cotch.
No shame at all.

zero, none, straight forward stuff willo

Bloody Thomas the butcher at it again last night in those dire conditions with his 20 disposals going at 90% DE..... :hihi

tigertim said:
Bloody Thomas the butcher at it again last night in those dire conditions with his 20 disposals going at 90% DE..... :hihi
Bastard kicked a sausage as well, how bloody dare he! Dud delist.

Doesn't do it for me. DE% might have been high but it wasn't due to good decision-making. Often gives it to a player under high pressure themselves and just gets beaten too many times cause he's so slow. Just 2 tackles as well. A player of his speed needs to be a tackling machine to warrant their midifeld position in the team. At least we have some promising youngsters coming up. I hate playing Essendon, it always reminds me that Heppell could have been in the midfield (in this case instead of Thomas).