Morris Thomas competition | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Morris Thomas competition

tigerlove said:
Doesn't do it for me. DE% might have been high but it wasn't due to good decision-making. Often gives it to a player under high pressure themselves and just gets beaten too many times cause he's so slow. Just 2 tackles as well. A player of his speed needs to be a tackling machine to warrant their midifeld position in the team. At least we have some promising youngsters coming up. I hate playing Essendon, it always reminds me that Heppell could have been in the midfield (in this case instead of Thomas).

You dont compare a player like Thomas with a player like Heppell. Its ridiculous. 1 young, classy, high draft pick, highly paid, first selected. The other isn't. Every side has guns on the one hand, and some barely there fringe players on the other. ? What is so hard about that?

tigersnake said:
You dont compare a player like Thomas with a player like Heppell. Its ridiculous. 1 young, classy, high draft pick, highly paid, first selected. The other isn't. Every side has guns on the one hand, and some barely there fringe players on the other. ? What is so hard about that?

Think you missed my point completely. Have a rethink.

:blah

Dimma got it spot on in his presser - Cotch needed a rest, Thomas came in and did the job that was asked of him. He also said that we know what Thomas provides - contested grunt, handballs out of the pack and total commitment. And he knows Thomas will be ready to play when required.

The reality is you can't have Heppell like class in your fill-in role players, but you can have great professional foot soldiers who come in and do the job.

tigersnake said:
ppell
You'll have to spell it out for me I'm afraid. I'm a little slow on the uptake
u

My point is Heppell could have been playing for us last night, in which case there would have been no need to play Thomas (or even have him on our list). I know it's a mute point now, I was just saying it reminds me every time we play Essendon and Heppell carves it up.

Last night is the reason you have players like Matt Thomas on your list. It was wet and a hard slog, we were without our best contested player and we knew Thomas could come in and do a job, and he did.

He will go straight out again next week but I suspect both he and the club know where he is at. Good team man I suspect.

tigerlove said:
u

My point is Heppell could have been playing for us last night, in which case there would have been no need to play Thomas (or even have him on our list). I know it's a mute point now, I was just saying it reminds me every time we play Essendon and Heppell carves it up.

That old chestnut again? It really is a moot point.

We wouldnt need to have Thomas on the list if we had picked Buddy Franklin instead of Tamlbing too.

Good on Matt Thomas for stepping up when we require him. Played a pretty decent game I thought.

BT Tiger said:
That old chestnut again? It really is a moot point.

We wouldnt need to have Thomas on the list if we had picked Buddy Franklin instead of Tamlbing too.

Good on Matt Thomas for stepping up when we require him. Played a pretty decent game I thought.

I agree it's a moot point niw, which is why I said I only think about it whenever we play Essendon. Tambling/Franklin wasn't as clear cut, many actually gave Tambling big wraps. Conca/Heppell different story. Most gave big wraps on Heppell, I was shocked we didn't take him at the time. Many were.

tigerlove said:
u

you'll do your head in if you play that game Tigerlove.

If Melbourne had picked Dusty instead of Trengove or Scully, if Collingwood had picked Lennon instead of Freeman, if we hadn't have picked McIntosh out of thin air he wouldn't have played last night ....the list goes on and on.

We have who we have and in recent years we have won more than we have lost in the drafting game.

Sintiger said:
you'll do your head in if you play that game Tigerlove.

If Melbourne had picked Dusty instead of Trengove or Scully, if Collingwood had picked Lennon instead of Freeman, if we hadn't have picked McIntosh out of thin air he wouldn't have played last night ....the list goes on and on.

We have who we have and in recent years we have won more than we have lost in the drafting game.

I agree Sintiger, it's the overall result as a whole that counts, just thought Heppell was such an obvious choice at the time. He was exactly what we needed. Anyway I won't be reminded until we play Essendon again.

Thomas = insurance. Handy option to have that we can bring in to rest up our contested ball winners.