Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Half a game back in the twos and the match committee play him for a full game against the fastest ball moving side in the comp.
Poor decision even though Rossy played fairly well.

Reactions: 8 users
Should not have played. In saying that can hold his head up high considering how underdone he is.

Reactions: 6 users
Watching him run with Newcombe, IMO I thought Newcombe ripped him a new one.
Newcombe absolutely did.

But, he's one of the best (on form) midfielders in the league at the moment.

And Rossy has had 12? weeks out.

He was competitive on return, but well below his best.

Reactions: 2 users
Half a game back in the twos and the match committee play him for a full game against the fastest ball moving side in the comp.
Poor decision even though Rossy played fairly well.
Deserved to be selected. Was BOG last week and would have been madness not to play him considering the lack of other options. Played no worse than Hopper and had better disposal efficiency than all other 3 primary midfielders.

Reactions: 4 users
“been a long time out”

“others were worse”

“his opponent was hot”

sooooo many excuses in here

let’s see how creative we can get with the excuses next season. assuming he even gets a game

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Injury aside expect a big 2025 from Ross, serviceable today & expect improvement next week.

Reactions: 9 users
“been a long time out”

“others were worse”

“his opponent was hot”

let’s see how creative we can get with the excuses next season. assuming he even gets a game
He's a lock. Been a good solid player last 2 years. Not an elite but 2nd tier which every team has.

Last edited:
“been a long time out”

“others were worse”

“his opponent was hot”

Just like your excuses regarding Yze?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
“been a long time out”

“others were worse”

“his opponent was hot”

In our top 3 for clearances, metres gained, and inside 50's.

Top 5 for disposals.

And he was well below his best. Coming back from more than half a season with a stress fracture.

Not bad for the kid.

But keep laying the boots in.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
In our top 3 for clearances, metres gained, and inside 50's.

We’re talking about a team languishing in 18th, a team not remotely close to winning a game.

Ross is as good an example of our midfield malaise as any. Watch the replay. He was a witches hat through the middle. No presence in the contest, flat out refused to stick tackles.

He wasn’t alone. Graham is out the door (and equally overrated), Prestia at least got some contested ball to feed out, Hopper looks a poor investment and Taranto had a bad day.

Our midfield is an absolute shambles, worst I’ve seen at Punt Rd for a long time.

Ross has no part in an elite midfield and I hope the club knows this. His lowly performance in the Jack Dyer Medal over the journey would suggest they do.

With an influx of high-pick, big-bodied kids and a relatively injury-free run for Hopper and Taranto means Ross is VFL at certain stages in 2025 and that will be as sure a sign as any that we are on the up.

Reactions: 1 user
We’re talking about a team languishing in 18th, a team not remotely close to winning a game.

Ross is as good an example of our midfield malaise as any. Watch the replay. He was a witches hat through the middle. No presence in the contest, flat out refused to stick tackles.

He wasn’t alone. Graham is out the door (and equally overrated), Prestia at least got some contested ball to feed out, Hopper looks a poor investment and Taranto had a bad day.

Our midfield is an absolute shambles, worst I’ve seen at Punt Rd for a long time.

Ross has no part in an elite midfield and I hope the club knows this. His lowly performance in the Jack Dyer Medal over the journey would suggest they do.

With an influx of high-pick, big-bodied kids and a relatively injury-free run for Hopper and Taranto means Ross is VFL at certain stages in 2025 and that will be as sure a sign as any that we are on the up.
Grigg had no part in an elite midfield. Neither did Graham.

You have to have solid citizens, as unless you want us to pull a North and tank for five years, you're never going to get five-six elite mids.

Ross is fine. He's not great, nor elite. Just fine. Provided we put quality around him, we'll succeed. The moment we plan to use him as our linchpin, I'm pitch forking Toce.

Reactions: 10 users
Grigg had no part in an elite midfield. Neither did Graham.

You have to have solid citizens, as unless you want us to pull a North and tank for five years, you're never going to get five-six elite mids.

Ross is fine. He's not great, nor elite. Just fine. Provided we put quality around him, we'll succeed. The moment we plan to use him as our linchpin, I'm pitch forking Toce.
But that’s my point General, support Grigg was much better/smarter/more effective than support Ross is for us now

“been a long time out”

“others were worse”

“his opponent was hot”

yes bad year, when 3/4 of your team is out at some point, it does effect the team. new year I'm confident we will be a force.

Reactions: 1 users
He's a much better midfielder than either Hopper or Taranto.
Geez that is such a massive statement.

Personally have never understood the Hopper love. Always just appeared a slow scrapper to me. Injuries

Taranto is the much better footballer, and clearly carrying something through the second half of this year. But he has been a very good midfielder for the last 4 years. His contested ball winning, running efforts, tackling and score involvements are a long way ahead of Ross. Ross has neater disposal, but part of his better efficiency is the huge volume of uncontested possessions and the fact Ross handballs more than he kicks. =

Ross has improved slowly each year, doubt he ever reaches Taranto's level.

Hopefully Ross stays injury free and Graham leaves, he will clearly get plenty of midfield opportunities in 2025 if this transpires.

But that’s my point General, support Grigg was much better/smarter/more effective than support Ross is for us now
We need 30 AFL quality players minimum. We need 29 more. This isn't the start of building a list.
This is about finding some pieces and adding a lot more quality and find some "super-hunks" .