Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Bizzarro world here. Taranto is your definition of work horse. Throws himself about and if we're lucky we get territory and metres gained. Ross is actually your prototype of the modern footballer.

Bizzarro world here. Taranto is your definition of work horse. Throws himself about and if we're lucky we get territory and metres gained. Ross is actually your prototype of the modern footballer.

let's keep working this line of thought please.

i wanna see if we can get Jack Ross into a theoretical room with Cotch and Dusty.

Im not sure how you can we "need better" than 2 guys who have 4 premierships between them. While we may want better, clearly they are good enough.

On Ross, I liked him on the wing, because he runs, he finds space and he is composed with his ball use. While it would be great to have someone with speed as well as those other attributes we havent really. I dont think he is as effective in tight, though that may come with more experience.
The last premiership was four years ago and even then they were nothing more than role players. There is a thing called age and no your bloody wrong they are no longer good enough nor is Ross on a wing imo.Plodder for plodder.

Nope the pair ARE way below standard one is 33 and past it and the other is 31 and continues to be a very average role player.
With the running players we have coming thru they are very much superfluous to needs unfortunately for both its just where we are at.

What do most of you see when you watch footy? Ross is cleaner by hand and foot than either Hopper and Taranto. Ross gets his hands clear to dispose more often than Hopper and Taranto. Ross has better composure and vision than Hopper and Taranto. Ross hits more targets than Hopper and Taranto. Granted Hopper and Taranto are B grade mids at best but this Ross hatred is bemusing.
Ross doesn't play inside. Of course his disposal efficiency will be better.

I'm surpirsed at the Taranto dissing. Ranked above average or elite in all the basic midfield stats for most of his career. Disp/Clearances/Tackles. Above average or elite in Centre Clearances & Stoppage Clearances in all of his last 4 years. Ranked above average in Score Involvements 5 of the last 6 years. Ranked above average or elite in Score Launches in 5 of his 8 years.

Ross ranks Below Average for his career in almost all these measures.

Clearly you see something not even the stats boffins see. Surely you can support it with more than "what are you watching" type statements?

Have never been a huge Ross fan, and he has not had much luck with continuity, but he has done enough to demonstrate he can be a role player. Would be happy to see Graham depart and Ross get his minutes, but the declarations about him being a better mid than Taranto are a massive slight on Taranto IMO.

Player Benchmarking​

Ratings are calculated against other players in the same on-field position.
  • Elite
    1-10%
  • Above Avg.
    11-35%
  • Average
    36-66%
  • Below Avg.
    67-100%

Reactions: 2 users
Coburg this is the PRE equivalent of Raygun’s performance
Taranto is a far more mature, established midfielder than Ross, definitely. At his peak as a footballer. Will rack up more disposals and throw himself recklessly into the contest.

But in any situation, inside, outside, under pressure or otherwise, I would prefer that Ross has the ball. He's got some match fitness and form to recover, but I see him getting enough ball in the contest to go past Taranto on usefulness. He's already a better footballer.

Ross is just better than Hopper at everything. Core strength, speed, ball use, vision, composure.

And he's on the up. Hopper isn't.

Reactions: 1 user
He's already a better footballer.
On what measure? No statistical measure confirms it? Your eye?

I am not one for purely statistical comparisons, and Ross has not had any long term run at a pure midfield role (that in itself does say something) but boy there is a real disrespect being shown to a seriously good footballer.

Maybe I will have ivermectin on my face in a couple of years time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
we are 1-5 with Ross in the team this year. & 1-15 without him.
last year we were 9.5-9.5 with him and 1-3 without him.

he is a clear difference maker.
thanks Data

roughly 50-50 over the course of his career

naturally not all on him, but he does not contribute to being an elite team

Ross doesn't play inside.

Ross's army of fans keep pretending the opposite, but this has been apparent for some time now.

Ross doesn't play an inside game, even when starting at the bounce. he has the frame but does not have the ability to meet contest, absorb contest, relish contest.

Aside from his agricultural disposal (which has been diluted, not fixed) and plodding pace, this is the biggest slow.

Ross doesn't play inside. Of course his disposal efficiency will be better.

I'm surpirsed at the Taranto dissing. Ranked above average or elite in all the basic midfield stats for most of his career. Disp/Clearances/Tackles. Above average or elite in Centre Clearances & Stoppage Clearances in all of his last 4 years. Ranked above average in Score Involvements 5 of the last 6 years. Ranked above average or elite in Score Launches in 5 of his 8 years.

Ross ranks Below Average for his career in almost all these measures.

Clearly you see something not even the stats boffins see. Surely you can support it with more than "what are you watching" type statements?

Have never been a huge Ross fan, and he has not had much luck with continuity, but he has done enough to demonstrate he can be a role player. Would be happy to see Graham depart and Ross get his minutes, but the declarations about him being a better mid than Taranto are a massive slight on Taranto IMO.

Player Benchmarking​

Ratings are calculated against other players in the same on-field position.
  • Elite
    1-10%
  • Above Avg.
    11-35%
  • Average
    36-66%
  • Below Avg.
    67-100%

Lambsy hasnt been so excited by a young Tiger since the great Andy Collins trade debacle.

On what measure? No statistical measure confirms it? Your eye?

I am not one for purely statistical comparisons, and Ross has not had any long term run at a pure midfield role (that in itself does say something) but boy there is a real disrespect being shown to a seriously good footballer.

Maybe I will have ivermectin on my face in a couple of years time.
I'm a Ross fan, i think he is composed, runs well and uses the ball neatly.
But so far he is nowhere near either a fit Taranto or a fit Hopper.

Ross's army of fans keep pretending the opposite, but this has been apparent for some time now.

Ross doesn't play an inside game, even when starting at the bounce. he has the frame but does not have the ability to meet contest, absorb contest, relish contest.

Aside from his agricultural disposal (which has been diluted, not fixed) and plodding pace, this is the biggest slow.
Quicker hands than most midfielders, and also not slow.

Are you sure you have the right jumper number?

This 'doesn't like the contest' is a brand new one in the long list of every changing Ross Hater myths.

Like the rest, it will be disproved soon enough.

The only knock I have on him at the moment is that his foot was busted for 3 months. He needs the match fitness to start racking up 25 plus disposals a game.

If he can do that, he'll be our best Midfielder.

Ross better than Taranto? That might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read on this board, ever!

I like Ross but he is the very definition of mediocre. The fact he’s arguably our most successful draftee since 2018 goes a long way to explaining why we are on track for our worst season ever.

Taranto has his issues but he is 10x the footballer Ross is or ever will be.

Ross better than Taranto? That might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read on this board, ever!

I like Ross but he is the very definition of mediocre. The fact he’s arguably our most successful draftee since 2018 goes a long way to explaining why we are on track for our worst season ever.

Taranto has his issues but he is 10x the footballer Ross is or ever will be.
I agree with that , but let me say Ross aren't on the deal Taranto is on and years and has been bang average this year. Ross is not mediocre his your B grade player every team has.

I'm a Ross fan, i think he is composed, runs well and uses the ball neatly.
But so far he is nowhere near either a fit Taranto or a fit Hopper.
Again Ross aren't on the big $$ and contract there both on. Both have been rubbish this season.

Quicker hands than most midfielders, and also not slow.

Are you sure you have the right jumper number?

This 'doesn't like the contest' is a brand new one in the long list of every changing Ross Hater myths.

Like the rest, it will be disproved soon enough.

The only knock I have on him at the moment is that his foot was busted for 3 months. He needs the match fitness to start racking up 25 plus disposals a game.

If he can do that, he'll be our best Midfielder.
No good in the contest.

This has been glaringly apparent for some years now.

Likely the reason they tried him on the wing.

Which is when they realised he isn’t quick. Or as four-quarter as others in that brigade.

Where to put him?

Post-draft, the answer will be simple. VFL