Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

He looked like a right-footed Scott Pendlebury in VFA company. Except Pendles would have seen and given the handball to set FOS into an open goal. Ross got run down and duffed a kick 20 metres
Spooker have you still not let that go .................. :mhihi

You reckon it might cost Vontae a RFC guernsey

Great to see JR play well and get through unscathed .

Loved Jacks improvement earlier this season and hopefully he continues to show all round improvement in his game .

I still see JRs best footy as midfield depth part of the rotation, imho he’d have to improve dramatically again to be a starting mid in a top 4 team , not a criticism at all, however he is not a Martin, Cotchin or Prestia , in fact he’s not a Edwards or Lambert either , however he’s on the way to been a better Graham or Pickett.

Jack is now blessed with a massive opportunity to be a huge part of our climb back up the ladder , he was at Punt rd through a Dynasty and now will be surrounded by young talent he can help become elite footballers

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Great to see JR play well and get through unscathed .

Loved Jacks improvement earlier this season and hopefully he continues to show all round improvement in his game .

I still see JRs best footy as midfield depth part of the rotation, imho he’d have to improve dramatically again to be a starting mid in a top 4 team , not a criticism at all, however he is not a Martin, Cotchin or Prestia , in fact he’s not a Edwards or Lambert either , however he’s on the way to been a better Graham or Pickett.

Jack is now blessed with a massive opportunity to be a huge part of our climb back up the ladder , he was at Punt rd through a Dynasty and now will be surrounded by young talent he can help become elite footballers
Graham is probably a good comparison just in terms of impact.

Pickett? Nah Pickett is / was better

Reactions: 1 users
Graham is probably a good comparison just in terms of impact.

Pickett? Nah Pickett is / was better
Nah Pickett came into the tiger system age 26 + and his output IMO has been overrated, ill disciplined and terrible disposal. Ross IMO has a much higher ceiling than Pickett

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Nah Pickett came into the tiger system age 26 + and his output IMO has been overrated, ill disciplined and terrible disposal. Ross IMO has a much higher ceiling than Pickett
Pickett’s influence on this squad goes far beyond ‘Ill disciplined’ and ‘terrible disposal’

Different players but if Ross can impact as Pickett has done then hats off

Reactions: 5 users
Pickett was played as a hard running wing who could block space, spoil, run and carry. Hes probably better than Ross at that.

Ross really showed his stuff as a genuine mid who can be inside and outside, with better disposal than Marlion.

I always wanted to see Marlion played as a true mid but for whatever reason our coaches rarely played him there, so on exposed form Ross is better in that role.

Huge upgrade on Dow in any case.

Reactions: 5 users
I think it was Redford who said Ross can not be described as an inside mid simply because we have rarely played him there. I tend to agree.

I don't think he is very good in the role id describe him as Vanilla, serviceable or average.

I have always wanted us to look at wingers with genuine pace big motor and very good footskills while he has been servicable on a wing i have long thought we need better than him Pickett and McIntosh.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it was Redford who said Ross can not be described as an inside mid simply because we have rarely played him there. I tend to agree.

I don't think he is very good in the role id describe him as Vanilla, serviceable or average.

I don't see him as an inside mid that is a clearance beast. I see him more as a balanced mid that can win it when required but is a better link up mid, 2nd possession mid. His composure is what we have been lacking in transition. With Taranto, Hopper and Dow playing in that role we are getting substandard outcomes moving the ball forward. I reckon Ross can help with that.

Reactions: 6 users
If Bolton and Baker go and with Dusty retiring and a minimum requirement from Dion, hopefully JR can finally make his mark as an on baller (injuries aside) in ‘25.

I have always wanted us to look at wingers with genuine pace big motor and very good footskills while he has been servicable on a wing i have long thought we need better than him Pickett and McIntosh.
Im not sure how you can we "need better" than 2 guys who have 4 premierships between them. While we may want better, clearly they are good enough.

On Ross, I liked him on the wing, because he runs, he finds space and he is composed with his ball use. While it would be great to have someone with speed as well as those other attributes we havent really. I dont think he is as effective in tight, though that may come with more experience.

Is it worth rushing Jack back and risking him in two now unimportant games? Rather he played out the season in VFL relatively bruise free and be ready for AFL 2025

Is it worth rushing Jack back and risking him in two now unimportant games? Rather he played out the season in VFL relatively bruise free and be ready for AFL 2025
I’d def bring him back for last 2 games. Too good for VFL

He'll need a full game in the reserves this week I would have thought to get his match fitness up.

On the VFL game, inside bull 18yo Hugo Garcia dominated the first quarter. He destroyed us. Sure, he was getting a leg up through Campbell's utter annihilation of our rookie ruck, who was fresh (or stale) off a concussion.

And yes, Campbell or Garcia was BOG. Garcia's 3.0G, 10 SI, 12TK, 14CP and 9CL were matchwinning numbers.

But when Jack Ross stepped on to the park for the second quarter the game swung our way. Yes. Smith toiled admirably and Sonsie lifted. But it was the class and authority of Ross that shone. At the level Jack Ross is a glamour outside mid. Total glamour. And we saw how glamour beats inside bull. Ross was influential as Richmond took control and Garcia had less influence.

Jack Ross's 7SI including a behind did not do him justice. He was terrific for 60-70 minutes. 3 clearance? 7CP? Garcia cleaned all but Smith up at contested and clearance. But it was Ross who changed the game with his class. In the end it wasn't enough. But if Ross starts in that game we don't get jumped by 10 goals morally, 5.7 actually.

Footnotes: Hugo Garcia is 19yo now. My bad. And eight months older than Jagga Smith. Is Garcia one of Toce's?

Reactions: 6 users