How far off are we really? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How far off are we really?

B1 and B2 said:
We can lose both finals, but i just want top 4! Make sense?

No. It's time for a premiership. I am sick of yet another granny day that we don't feature in.

St Kevin said:
We would've beaten Melbourne if we had Bennell and Yarran, never mind Norf.
Yeah, this is it. They may not have been the difference in the EF, but they very well could have been against Melbourne or Freo the second time. We win either or both of those matches and the entire finals series changes.

Tigers of Old said:
These sorts of statements are pure fantasy. Bennell has just been punted from his club and Yarran spent much of the year in the reserves.
Reality is whilst talented, both of these players come with question marks and have a lot to prove to themselves and any club they play for next season whether us or anyone else.

How far off are we? Only time will tell us.
Fantasy - hypothetical - opinion. That's what we do here.
But I agree that it's not that simple with Bennell and Yarran - and I'd welcome them both as long as we don't have to pay over the odds.

This was the first grand final I've watched since our last one in 1982 when I've actually thought we aren't that far away. Sure we need a couple more A graders, the trajectory to keep going for our skilled younger ones, and more output from a couple of key talls but us making the GF and possibly winning it is not fantasy like it has been in other years.

scottyturnerscurse said:
Bookies have posted us at 12-1 for next year. Behind Haw, WCE. Freo, Syd, Port.

That feels about right.

Where's north. Where scared??

There is hawthorn, then light years and then the next 8 clubs. Wce probably second but we are definitely not far behind them.

Need a bit of luck with kids and trades coming through and I think we are as good a chance as any to step up.

Today made me think of the conundrum we have. We actually have the game and the team to beat the best , but we have some flaws in our make up that means we get beaten by teams that match up well against us.

It's interesting because we know how to beat the hawks but we can't get there to play them.

This year is the perfect example, we actually matched up better against the top four than the teams from 6-8th

Very frustrating

Dunno Sin. I suspect it might be a different story if we met them under the intensity and pressure of a grand final compared to a home and away game.

Edit. Weagles knew how to beat Hawks too but it was a different story on the big stage today.

rosy23 said:
Dunno Sin. I suspect it might be a different story if we met them under the intensity and pressure of a grand final compared to a home and away game.
You don't know that. Maybe you are right, maybe not, but the simple fact is that we have consistently played well for 3 years now against the 3 most dominant teams in Hawthorn, sydney and fremantle. We have built a team and game plan to match them when we play them.

The issue is that we can't get to play them in the finals to see whether we can match those performances in September

Sintiger said:
You don't know that. Maybe you are right, maybe not, .......

Spot on I don't know that. Either do you or any of us. Fact is we've failed 3 years in a row in finals. Of course we can dream and imagine all we like but unless we meet them in a grand final we'll never know.

Yes it's all speculation, but we haven't been this well-placed in decades. I don't think we are that far away.

I reckon we're a lot closer than most other teams, but still a mile off.

i actually thought both teams were underwhelming today.
the Weagles were ordinary, but if they made the most of a few simple chances they would have been close to even at 3/4 time.

the hawks were very efficient in the F50, but lucky the eagles choked.

Based on watch the grand final today we have a way to go before we can be considered contenders. The Hawks are a team with teamwork. We are a team of individuals. Great on the day but go missing far too often.

After today's game while we maybe only a player or two away. I really doubt we could match hawthorns composure and decision making in finals intensity.
We need to treat regulars who have not stood up in any of the last 3 finals as depth players and give others ago. After 3 attempts and more than 70 games they are likely to be found wanting at this level next year as well. Confident we can make the 8 but winning a final is a different level again